Tiaras and Jewellery

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me posting. Congratulations to you all on your forthcoming weddings.

I used to make tiaras and bridal jewellery. I am confident enough to say that I was pretty good at it. Things changed though. I lost my mum. I had a baby and got a divorce... so I haven't really don't much tiara making for years.

I am currently working in schools as a teaching assistant but have started making some bits in my spare time. I am in the process of setting up a new website and designing some new samples. I am just looking for advice. What are brides looking for these days? Is it tiaras or other types of hair accessory? Tell me where I should be heading lol

Thank you all

Amanda Middleton xxx

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

When I was preparing for my wedding, I was trying to find hair halo's, vines at reasonable prices- when I say reasonable, there were lots of nice things out there but some in the region of £200 from high end bridal brands, which I just couldn't justify. 

I ended up with a side tiara which was beautiful but if I'd seen a vine in the same price range (£50) I probably would have bought that instead. 

• Thank you, I will bear that in mind... I can do those easily. Its not so easy to keep the price down... The cost of Swarovski crystals makes the materials cost high.... Another question would be is 'How important is it to use Swarovski? Is it more important to keep the price down?

And there is the most popular place for people to buy from these days? I am out of touch! Tell me who the competition is! ;)

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

For me personally, I wouldn't specifically go out of my way to buy Swarovksi. I would look at price over materials, as long as the item was what I wanted and fit my wedding theme.

I got my tiara from Jon Richard at Debenhams, but I know that places like Glitzy Secrets, Liberty in Love, Ivory and Co, Flo and Percy etc are popular. Glitzy Secrets and Jon Richard are probably in the mid price range, the others being higher. 

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

Hi amanda, as you know research is good part of setting up business, you do need think about what is your unique selling point, who do you want your customers to be, price product etc.  Yes i did a business degree and have had my own coffee shop.  

You could limit the range and go high end or increase range and go for quantity of sales. Watch your supply and demand curve/ profit point. 

I went for artisan pieces very expensive but i could not find any rose gold anywhere. Mine were bespoke. 

I am also considering a necklace and some pins to match.   These earrings were £75, hair vine was over £150 and the bracelet which i didnt buy, i saw an identical one for cheaper, was £85 but real crystals. 

Hope this helps

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

I would say Etsy is my go to recommendation for bridal hair accessories so check that out for your competition.

I agree hair vines are popular at the moment over tiaras. Go for a variety of colours (i.e. gold, rose gold, silver etc) and I would say I wouldn't only go for Swarovski as the alternative (cubic zirconia? - doesn't change over time (I dont think?))

The metal would be more important to me that it doesn't tarnish and I found a lot of etsy sellers don't state what the metal actually is which put me off buying.

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,799 New bride

Agree with Jenni- Etsy and hair vines! I think hair vines are much more popular than traditional tiaras now and the best selection is on Etsy. There are websites that do them but they tend to be very expensive. To give you a guide, I paid around £60 for my hair vine which is at the lower end of what a made to order piece will cost. If you can pitch your products around that price point I'm sure you would do well.

• Mimi8Mimi8 Posts: 314 New bride

Hi, we found a lot of jewellery to be overpriced but found sites like glitzy secrets sell lovely items at reasonable prices, matching sets weresomething we looked for, and we couldn't care less about the type of crystal as long as it looks good. Rose gold is certainly in fashion at the moment . Good luck xx