Reserved Seating?

Hi Everyone,

Looking for ideas as to what you are going to/ what you did do in regards to reserved seating.

Are you having reserved seating at your ceremony if so are you just putting a sign saying reserved for the row or individual seat signs for particular people?

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,799 New bride

Do you mean for VIPs who need to sit up front- like the mums etc? I'm not having anything, but I am asking the usher to make sure the mums and anyone else like that has a seat up front, and I've also told him how many seats he needs to keep free for the bridesmaids and best men at the front.

To be honest I'm not sure a sign or reserved seating is necessary- I've been to a lot of weddings and if anything most people will try and sit as far back as possible! They know that the front rows are for VIPs and don't want to be presumptuous by sitting anywhere near the front. The last church wedding I went to they had to move everyone forward as everyone had sat at the back and there was a huge gap!

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

I thought people would know that the first two rows on both sides are immediate family/ bridal party only.   The ushers usually get people to thier seats.  We are filling up from the front in church so no need to pick a side.   

Ive never seen reserved seats signs at a wedding in church or hotel/ registry office.  

• You can get signs that simply say 'reserved' or signs that reserve the entire row from places like Etsy: 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/161262301/wedding-reserved-row-pew-or-chair-signs?ref=market

Or you could have your ushers/groomsmen (whoever will be in charge of seating everyone) to tell your regular guests to avoid the first few rows, and you could tell specific family members that they are to sit at the front/second row etc prior to the day itself. At my wedding the first two rows will be specifically for the bridesmaids, groomsmen and parents, so regular guests will be simply asked to avoid these rows. But like others have said I think most people would avoid these rows anyway!!

• MrsMannMrsMann Posts: 757 New bride

Thank you, I would have thought as much but I know there are some people who like a good view and to be near the front but that's true about the Usher being there to make sure everyone sits where they should. I think I will just right down for him how many seats need to be kept free on each side. 

Thanks ladies! 

• JulyBride4JulyBride4 Posts: 172

Ah - conversely to the answers above, I am doing a sort of 'seating plan' for the ceremony room!! Only for the first two rows though. This is partly due to family issues (X can't sit with Y but needs to be near the front, etc.).  I have bought some chalkboard hanging hearts from Hobbycraft, and I am going to use a chalk pen to write people's names on them and hang them on the end of each reserved row.  

JulyBride4 wrote (see post):

Ah - conversely to the answers above, I am doing a sort of 'seating plan' for the ceremony room!! Only for the first two rows though. This is partly due to family issues (X can't sit with Y but needs to be near the front, etc.).  I have bought some chalkboard hanging hearts from Hobbycraft, and I am going to use a chalk pen to write people's names on them and hang them on the end of each reserved row.  

That's a really good idea!!

• I'm just putting a reserved sign on each of the front 3 rows. Then I'll give the ushers diagrams of who should sit where (had to plan it out dud to separated parents/people needing to be on the end of pews because it's hard to get out for readings). 

• Mrs K!!Mrs K!! Posts: 664

I just printed reserved signs (literally on plain A4 with fancy font) for all the seats I reserved with the specific persons name on it, was easily done and meant everyone was where they needed to be and not an additional stress for anyone else to worry about.

xx

Thanks Mrs K, good idea, I definitely don't want added stress especially I am a bit of a control freak and find it hard to let other people do stuff 

• I made signs for parents, bridesmaids and groomsmen for our front row. I also made some for grandparents to give the aisle seats near the front for the best view and to make them feel a bit special. Everyone else is right, it's not really necessary but it did make them feel more VIP- I even saw the signs being saved as memories by some and taken home. one of the other reasons I did it was to pair up bridesmaids and groomsmen; they were sitting on opposite sides during the ceremony but it meant they paired up perfectly walking out for the recessional at the end of the ceremony

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

We just kept the first two rows on each side of the church reserved for immediate family however in hindsight I wish I'd have put names/signs on the pews as people ended up sitting there who I don't consider to be 'immediate family'.