β€Ί

Engaged at the age of 20!

Hello once again,

Yesterday I posted for the first time, asking for help to find a venue. I was really impressed but how everyone was very kind and helpful.
I know each and everyone of us has a story for being here.
So I decided to share a little bit of how I became such a young bride to be.
Young ? Yes! I am only 20 years old, I know...
Some people say it's crazy!!! Haha
I have been in a relationship for about 3 years and as we are a very responsible young adults we decided it was time to get engaged. Of course, with both of our family blessings (Some of them didn't agree at first). I had to take a gap year from uni so that was when everything happened, when we decided it was time to
take a step. I'm starting uni in September, first year coursing a degree in architecture while my fiancée is in his placement year coursing Law.

It is very interesting how different people react when I say I'm engaged. Some people think is a joke, other disagree and the rest just gets excited with me.
Now I have 1 year to save, plan and learn a lot of things. Can I do that? Well... I will let you guys posted! :)

I Will be happy to hear any support and/or opinions πŸ’—

• Hi Nicole! :)

Congratulations firstly! You are going to have so much fun planning your big day.

I got engaged on my 22nd birthday in Florida in November 2015, so I was also quite "young". I am getting married 15th September this year and it has flown round so so quickly! Aslong as you and your fiancé are happy then that's all that matters!

Cant wait to hear more of your exciting plans!

Lauren xx

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I dont think 20 is shockingly young to be engaged, I thought I was getting proposed to on my 21st birthday (he got down on one knee as a joke πŸ˜’). I had to wait another 5 years but Id much rather have been 21!

We had our first baby when I was 21 and he was 23. Im now 29 and we have 3 kids, a house, a sensible car etc. All thats missing is the marriage!

Ignore people who act shocked, they must have had pretty sheltered lives! Age is just a number.

• laurendaniellexxx wrote (see post):

Hi Nicole! :)

Congratulations firstly! You are going to have so much fun planning your big day.

I got engaged on my 22nd birthday in Florida in November 2015, so I was also quite "young". I am getting married 15th September this year and it has flown round so so quickly! Aslong as you and your fiancé are happy then that's all that matters!

Cant wait to hear more of your exciting plans!

Lauren xx

That is so exciting Lauren I bet you can't wait till 15th September. Thank you for sharing a little bit of your story. πŸ’—

• MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

I dont think 20 is shockingly young to be engaged, I thought I was getting proposed to on my 21st birthday (he got down on one knee as a joke πŸ˜’). I had to wait another 5 years but Id much rather have been 21!

We had our first baby when I was 21 and he was 23. Im now 29 and we have 3 kids, a house, a sensible car etc. All thats missing is the marriage!

Ignore people who act shocked, they must have had pretty sheltered lives! Age is just a number.

Well I dont think it is either but many people do. 

thank you MrsJ2017 it is really helpful to know what other people thinks and to know a little bit more about you. 

And I will keep that in mind that age is just a number πŸ’—

• JTQSNJTQSN Posts: 148

I got engaged at 18. We just decided to have a very long engagement whilst we did other things ☺️ Congratulations! X

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

First time round iwas engaged at 19 and married a month before my 20th birthday!  I personally would have loved my daughters to marry and have kids bit its looking less likely now.  

Anyway congratulations and i wish you the very best!!!    I was married for 28 yrs fyl. 

• JaneyToMrsKJaneyToMrsK Posts: 151

Yes 20 is young, but own it! If you are both in a place in your relationship that you feel this is the next step for you both then absolutely take it!! 

I have been with my fiancé for 9years now, I was 16 and he was 17 when we started dating. We get married in June after a 20 month engagement (we are now 25 & 26). I still think we are young, but I love the fact we have the rest of our lives to spend as husband and wife πŸ˜„ 

University will test your relationship no doubt, but if you are committed and communicate communicate communicate, you will come out a truly strong power couple! Congratulations and good luck with the planning process. x

• I got engaged at 21 (22 when we re married) and I haven't had anybody tell me I m young, they all know I m a middle aged woman mentally though:p i can't wait to spend the rest of our lives together as husband and wife :) If you re both in a strong relationship that's what matters :) 

• PinguinPinguin Posts: 141

I dont think 20 is young, my parent friends have a 50/50 between those who had their first kid at 18 and those who had their first kid at 28 (litrally everyone falls into this split catagory give or take a year just for month overlaps - its very strange)

when half the people I know have families at 18 being engaged at 20 is hardly bizzare (in fact completely the norm)

• MrsG2bxxMrsG2bxx Posts: 868

I wouldn't be shocked at an engaged 20 year old, that's plenty old enough! just have fun and ignore people who are negative about it! we all have our own lives to live! as someone said previously....the people around you must be very sheltered! xx

• Rebecca470Rebecca470 Posts: 119

Congratulations! I got engaged at 19, I am 20 now, and will be getting married next year. I am at university and it can be a struggle juggling studies with planning a wedding, but it definitely isn't impossible!

I can so relate with the mixture of responses! 

• Victoria197Victoria197 Posts: 720

I don't think 20 is young at all, like Katherine the first time around I was married with two children before I turned 21

• 20.......40........60, who cares, as long as it's right for you both.  Congratulations, excited to share your journey x

• INSPIRING, EXTRAORDINARY, AND TRULY UNFORGETTABLE EVENTS

Llandre Events By Jose Enrique is a full-service Event Planner based in Bayamon Puerto Rico owned by Jose Enrique Ramos operating since 2014. Certified Event Planner and proud member of ACSPPRI (Association of Professional Social Coordinators of Puerto Rico) since June 2016.

I have had the pleasure of working with several vendors and venues around Puerto Rico and U.S. Expanding our unique styles 100x35 around the Island and more.

​

"I pride myself on my highly customized and unique events. Whether planning your next Wedding, Social event, Corporate Event, or a Fundraising Gala, I am here to make sure that each and every event I'm involved with is inspiring, extraordinary, and unforgettable."

​

Ready to make dreams comes true one event at a time!!!

​

• Elmo85Elmo85 Posts: 32

Poke what everyone else thinks. If we all did what everyone else did in life my word what a boring world it would be!

Im nearly 32, i was friends with my h2b growing up, his nearly 29 (im a cougar and love it) we were neighbours and tbh growing up i thought he was nice enough but very strange! The creepy kid on the corner we called him!

I met a guy at work, moved in and at 22 had a baby then moved abroad for 2 years. The H2B got married and had a baby. I moved back to uk with my son after my 6 year relationship turned from emotionally damaging to violent. Me and H2B reconnected soon after which was the breath of fresh air we both needed. Turns out he had met a gold digger who within a year of their 3 year relationship had married him had a baby and got a house (all while being unfaithful to him) then 8 weeks after baby was born kicked him out and moved the fella in. We picked up where we left off (although i dont find him creepy anymore lol) and within a year discovered i was pregnant. We welcomed a son... then 2 years later discovered i was expecting again... we welcomed a daughter... then a year n a half later we discovered... yep thats right! Im currently expecting another boy due in july! Our wedding is set for nov and our brady bunch family are so happy. 2 boys 1 girl 1 stepson n 1 on the way a perfect partner and friend and i wouldn't change it for the world... well i changed one thing, he was made to have the snip last month! We work hard, we dont claim off the state to support us and our army, we own our own home car etc, we did it our way despite any comments or opinions n we couldnt be happier.

My point is it doesnt matter how you do things, when they happen or in what order. I put up with violence for 6 years with a child out of wedlock... it didnt work. He done everything the traditional way... it didn't work. We have 4 children one on the way n not getting married until nov and you know what?... it works for us!

Its your life hun n if you want to get engaged at 20 then good for you. Congrats to you and your partner and best of luck for the future x

• Tom48Tom48 Posts: 1

If you need a photographer or videographer please check out www.hawaiianshirtphotography.co.uk 

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

I got engaged at 19 in 1996 after a 1 month relationship married 5 months later for a total of 28 yrs just divorced after he left me, and now engaged again at 49!

age is just a number!