Gifts!

Hi all,

So, a few weddings that I've been too, gifts are given out from the B&G to the best man, bridesmaids etc.... but, do you guys have any suggestions?

BM, Bridesmaid, both parents and 1 Usher.

I literally haven't a clue and I don't want to do the flowers thing for the mothers as it's always the same!

TIA

x

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

I'm trying to keep ours quite personal so finding things they actually want rather than the standard flowers or hipflasks. i know both my bridesmaids have a trollbead bracelet so I've got them a bead, our best man can't get enough of chillis so going to get him a chilli hamper and for my parents I've commissioned a painting of them together on holiday this year being done from a photo I've pinched from my mums Facebook album! 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,842 New bride

While I'm all for going personal, this is supposed to be a small symbollic thank you gift (like flowers) so don't feel like you have to go all out and spend a fortune!

Bridesmaids people often buy them some jewellery to wear on the day, so this would be given in the morning rather than during the speeches. You can make this part of a goodie bag with things like mini champagne, lip gloss etc as well.

For the men something like an engraved glass or hip flask is traditional but you can do whatever you want. We got them engraved copper tankards and beer which is a bit traditional but with a modern twist.

Mothers we didn't want to get flowers so we got them a piece of jewellery each

• Also struggling with what to get... maybe a spa day voucher for mums? My Dad is seriouslyyyyy tricky! No idea... also his family aren't contributing anything and haven't helped at all so we don't have to get them a gift surely?? Thinking of giving gifts earlier in the day so it's not awkward! I think parents are the hard ones for me as they've contributed half the money for the wedding so want to show we are grateful!

Weve got the bridesmaids a bracelet to wear on the day as well as make up bag, personalised hanger/ champagne glass/ robe.

Best man will get a token item probably a beer glass personalised and socks or something... 

Page boys/ flower girl have got little personalised toys/ items depending on their age... one has a teddy with a jumper that's personalised (2yrs)/ one has a silver engraved yoyo (7 yrs) and flower girl has a silver necklace in an engraved keepsake box... all were only about £10 x

• PinguinPinguin Posts: 141

I know gifts are given but ive never seen them given publicly during the event, I think that would be quite awkward - its kind of like you want acknowledgement for getting them a gift like 'look at how wonderful I am buying this for them' and as a reciever I would feel awful getting a special gift in front of everyone

gifts ive seen given during the getting ready time of day include pearl bracelets, cufflinks and watches

• Dora3Dora3 Posts: 1,218

I'm giving my gifts out in the morning or the day before. I don't want to do it in front of everyone as we have got my parents something bigger as they've contributed a huge amount to our day. 

For BMs I've got them each a bracelet, it matches a necklace one gave to us for her wedding so it ties in nicely and will mean something to them. 

For bestbman we have an engraved tankard. 

My parents we have brought theatre tickets for them with £100 spending money for food and drinks. 

we are getting H2Bs parents a red letter voucher so they can do what they want with that 

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

I also don't think there's any need to give gifts out during the speeches. It's also a bit awkward for us because my mum and dad have been very generous while my in laws haven't contributed anything so I would rather just take mine out for a lovely dinner or something after the honeymoon.

• Hails wrote (see post):

I also don't think there's any need to give gifts out during the speeches. It's also a bit awkward for us because my mum and dad have been very generous while my in laws haven't contributed anything so I would rather just take mine out for a lovely dinner or something after the honeymoon.

Hails im the same so are you getting his anything?? I don't see why we should lol and if giving them out before it should be okay? 

Dora- like the idea of theatre tickets that might be an idea...

What does anyone think of a watch for dad?? I know it's typically what you get the groom but it might be nice engraved with forever your little girl or something??? Xx

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455
    Italy Bride 2017 wrote (see post):
    Hails wrote (see post):

Hails im the same so are you getting his anything?? I don't see why we should lol and if giving them out before it should be okay? 

Dora- like the idea of theatre tickets that might be an idea...

What does anyone think of a watch for dad?? I know it's typically what you get the groom but it might be nice engraved with forever your little girl or something??? Xx

Yeh I doubt we will get them anything unless they do show more of an interest/help before the day. So i think it will be fine because we won't do it during speeches. 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Im not keen on this subject at all. Its tricky, the in laws havent contributed anything, not even helpful opinions or advise 😂 My mum has contributed towards my dress but then changed her mind and left me to pay the rest, and the alterations. She also said shed pay for transport and flower girl dresses, but she hasnt, yet keeps making demands and inviting extra guests. I really dont think she deserves a gift!

My stepmum however gave us a bit of money, £300, which was very generous considering shes a single mum of 3 with a mortgage, works nights part time, and is a carer during the day for her dad and 2 disabled nephews. She does anything for anyone and never expects anything in return. Shes made no stupid demands or requests, she wont have any fuss over herself, and I just didnt expect any money off her at all. So I really want to show my appreciation.

One if the best men is also being a star, hes on the case to find sneakily find out h2bs taste in watches and then helping me choose because Im not a watch fan at all. Hes so accomodating and helpful and I just know hes going to be worth his weight in gold. The other best man, not so much 😂 Hes just going to show up on the day and take the credit for the other ones support.

• elsyelsy Posts: 533

This was something we kind of struggled with as husband's parents are divorced and both remarried. His dad didn't contribute to the wedding but his mum did, as did my parents. Instead of giving gifts during the meal, we got small gifts for our parents that were given in the morning, just token gestures really; I got my dad some personalised cufflinks, both of our mums and his dad got a little canvas bag with the date of our wedding on and a little message on the front. Inside was a handkerchief. We have got all 3 sets of parents a nice photo frame and have framed a picture from the wedding of us with them in as our main gift to them. We know that they'll all really appreciate this and it provides a momento of the day. Bridesmaids each got a little gift bag with bits and pieces in; a bracelet that they wore on the day, lip balm, hand cream, chocolate, paracetamol and a thing of their favourite alcohol. The best man had a pocket watch which we got engraved. 

• MissSMissS Posts: 267 New bride

I like the idea of taking parents out to say thank you- I think it would be more appreciated than a gift. So thanks for that idea!!  Im giving my BMs their presents while were getting ready I haven't decided what though yet! Ive ordered robes, glasses hanger etc My MOH is making our wedding cake and is making all the decorations and wants to set up her own business and I want everyone to know how much she has done so shel get her presents in the morning but then wel give her a voucher I think- probably for a night away with her BF as I know shes been really busy and stressedAlso- I didn't realise it was tradition to get to groom a watch! Im actually getting him a pocket watch so im glad about that!

• Charlotte237Charlotte237 Posts: 274 New bride

Tanya I love the idea of getting a painting commissioned from a photo! If you see this message can you possibly tell me how you went about this. And the approx cost? Great idea! :)