H Samuel disaster!!!

I got engaged about a year ago in Disneyland Paris and my fiance got me a beautiful forever diamond ring from H Samuel which I had to get resized after purchase which was great. Now a year later I decided to get it re rhodium plated as you get a free plating in the first year of having your ring. My ring still looked new without any gold coming through but I thought I'd go for the free plating anyway so it looks all shiny and new again. 

Upon collecting my ring looked so shiny like it has just been bought in the shop however after a week once the polish had worn off I could see that my ring now has a gold tint! I took it back to the shop and the woman said it looked like they had taken the plating off but had not bothered to replate it 😡 

Now it's gone back to the workshop and the woman said she doesn't know how long it will be! Has anyone else had this problem with h samuels? I'm scared its going to come back to me again and the same thing happen! 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,843 New bride

My ring is H Samuels (although we bought it from Ernest Jones which is apparentley the same thing, but it was a H Samuels stock ring being sold in EJ... anyway). I also took advantage of the free replating within a year of purchse.

The replating was maybe 6 months ago or more and the yellow gold still isn't showing through so I think what happened to you was a one-off and they literally just forgot to finish it off properly! I'm sure it will be fine when it comes back :)

• Frankie26Frankie26 Posts: 2

Thank you for replying! That's made me feel a bit better now! I couldn't believe it when I could see gold, it was also incredibly scratched all over, obviously from where they had removed all the original plating. Mine took a month last time, how long did yours take? 

• KGalKGal Posts: 22

I just put my ring into EJ and the return time is estimated at 3 weeks currently - this is its 2nd replate in 3 years and has all being fine so as Sammykate said it's probably just a one off x

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,843 New bride
    Frankie26 wrote (see post):

Thank you for replying! That's made me feel a bit better now! I couldn't believe it when I could see gold, it was also incredibly scratched all over, obviously from where they had removed all the original plating. Mine took a month last time, how long did yours take? 

Only about 1.5 weeks! A month seems like a long time. I think as they messed up I would insist they express the service for you.