Anyone done 5:2 diet?

Morning ladies

I have previously done WW and lost 7 stone. I've now become a little complacent and put about 1/2 stone on since Christmas. 

Im looking at doing the 5:2 diet to get me back on track. Just wondered if anyone has done this diet and can give me any pointers/advice?

Thank you x

• CeeCeeCeeCee Posts: 134

Really recommend it. It shrinks your stomach pretty quickly which means that even on your off days you dont feel the need to eat loads.

I did it for 2 weeks and my stomach now gets full much quicker, i can eat a chicken salad and feel full! So now i just eat healthy and no need to starve myself for 2 days a week.

Not sure if the long term effects though.

• MrsJamesMrsJames Posts: 405 New bride

I did the 5:2 diet a few years back and found it helped to kick start my weight loss. 

My one piece of advice would be to make sure you drink plenty of water on your fast days, to begin with I didn't and had a few times where I went a little light headed. 

Good Luck :) 

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,099 New bride

I couldn't make it work for me, I found the fasting days too difficult to do at work and I was rubbish at sticking to it at the weekend. My friend does it and finds it works for her, she's uses my fitness pal to monitor her calorie intake. 

I did the original version of Atkins and lost half a stone very quickly so it was great for what I wanted it for (pre holiday weight loss) and every now and then j do it for a week or so to kick start weight loss and I would recommend it, it is a struggle if you're not a fan of eggs or cheese though!

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

I've been doing it for the last 10weeks and have lost 15lbs so far. I'm doing it in combination with reduced carbs and exercise 7x a day. I like it. 1 day is fairly easy to avoid all things yummy as I know I can just eat normally the next day. I eat the same every fast day tbh....

Yogurt for breakfast

Lunch is 100g grilled chicken with 3tbsp lentils, and about 12 green beans. With 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar. 

Dinner is 1 baked sweet potato with a salmon fillet and salad leaves. 

• Victoria197Victoria197 Posts: 720

I did it 4 years ago and lost 27kg over the next 2 years. Its good for quick loss but for long term you really need to stick with it because your body will go through plateaus where you wont lose anything for 3 or 4 weeks - this is when most people give up on it. My weight has stayed off.

With the wedding so close I am now doing it with a mix of low carb and exercise. I also only have 1 meal a day on my fast days but allow myself coffee with milk throughout the day. When i first started I used to have the 3 small meals a day but I like to feel like I have had a proper dinner. Also drink as much liquid as you can.

Do not get suckered into the lighter life 500 cal 5:2...its a con..just go to the supermarket and look on the back of packets if you dont want to cook as quite a few ready meals and not diet ones come in at the 300 - 500 calorie mark.

BBC Good Food website also has 500 calorie / 5:2 meals on it

• Giraffe888Giraffe888 Posts: 678

Thank you all. Can any of you give an example day of what you eat on fast and non-fast days? X

Jenni8 wrote (see post):

I've been doing it for the last 10weeks and have lost 15lbs so far. I'm doing it in combination with reduced carbs and exercise 7x a day. I like it. 1 day is fairly easy to avoid all things yummy as I know I can just eat normally the next day. I eat the same every fast day tbh....

Yogurt for breakfast

Lunch is 100g grilled chicken with 3tbsp lentils, and about 12 green beans. With 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar. 

Dinner is 1 baked sweet potato with a salmon fillet and salad leaves. 

Thank you. That's actually more than I thought you'd be able to eat. Do you have to count nutritional value of food too or just calories? X

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

Just calories is all I count, not sure if that is right!! Yeah the food on a fast day isn't bad - enough to keep me going. I am on one today and just had my dinner. I could (and want to) eat far more but I do it when I have been at work (I do 13 hour shifts) so never have any problem falling asleep even if I am hungry.

• Moonshine25Moonshine25 Posts: 62

I did it and lost 2 stone! Fasted on busy days at work, drank loads of water and went to bed early. I stopped around a year ago and also became very lazy with exercise and now about a stone is back on :( own fault though! Going to start 5:2 again as well as increasing exercise as I know it works for me. Found it fitted well around social life and removed 'guilt' of meals out at weekend as I knew I had fasted during the week. X

Jenni8 wrote (see post):

Just calories is all I count, not sure if that is right!! Yeah the food on a fast day isn't bad - enough to keep me going. I am on one today and just had my dinner. I could (and want to) eat far more but I do it when I have been at work (I do 13 hour shifts) so never have any problem falling asleep even if I am hungry.

Thank you. What do you eat on a non-fast day? Still healthy/diet type? X

• PinguinPinguin Posts: 141

I did and combined it with sugar free diet too, on mine fast days where liquid only and I lost 2 stone in 3 weeks and then I got sick (actually thowing up when I tried to move) and had to put a stone back on

I think 5:2 is great if you dont try to get creative with it but I wouldnt recommend sugar free dieting, it was a really stupid thing to do as your body needs sugars to function and I still get occasional reflux now over a year and a half later (and I NEVER got reflux before)

sugar free seemed fine at first and I loved the fact I could eat loads of hartleys sugar free jelly etc... and have no calories (its like 4 cal a pot) but after getting sick ill never try it again

Pinguin wrote (see post):

I did and combined it with sugar free diet too, on mine fast days where liquid only and I lost 2 stone in 3 weeks and then I got sick (actually thowing up when I tried to move) and had to put a stone back on

I think 5:2 is great if you dont try to get creative with it but I wouldnt recommend sugar free dieting, it was a really stupid thing to do as your body needs sugars to function and I still get occasional reflux now over a year and a half later (and I NEVER got reflux before)

sugar free seemed fine at first and I loved the fact I could eat loads of hartleys sugar free jelly etc... and have no calories (its like 4 cal a pot) but after getting sick ill never try it again

Thank you for your reply. So you suggest doing 5:2 but counting calories only and not sugar free too? I want to lose about a stone and just need a kick start as I've become too complacent! X

• PinguinPinguin Posts: 141
    sawreybride wrote (see post):
    Pinguin wrote (see post):

Thank you for your reply. So you suggest doing 5:2 but counting calories only and not sugar free too? I want to lose about a stone and just need a kick start as I've become too complacent! X

yeah he 5:2 is fine as long as its balanced diet but cuting out sugar was the stupid bit, I lost the first stone really fast, think it was water weight, then it slowed down for the second stone