Forum home General chat

Dessert Buffet

Are you having desserts at your evening reception?

Desserts after the evening buffet are not included in our package deal. So we have to pay at extra £350 for 80 guests for a miniature dessert buffet.

I am reluctant to pay this. And considering whether to just cut our wedding cake up for guests to have as dessert. Just wondering what everyone else is doing?

• We have a choice of food for our evening buffet, which does include sweet options (cake selection etc.) but we are choosing to go for all savory. This is because we plan to serve the wedding cake as our dessert. But we also have a sweet table included in our package. With the sweet table and the cake, I think that’s more than enough. 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,954 New bride

In your shoes I'd have a naked cake and serve for dessert with fresh cream and strawberries - if the evening buffet is your main meal.

If you are having a wedding breakfast beforehand then I don't think it's necessary. We are having a 3 course wedding breakfast then an evening BBQ with no sweet options.

• Abigail56Abigail56 Posts: 102
    Nottinghamshirebride wrote (see post):

We have a choice of food for our evening buffet, which does include sweet options (cake selection etc.) but we are choosing to go for all savory. This is because we plan to serve the wedding cake as our dessert. But we also have a sweet table included in our package. With the sweet take and the cake, I think that’s more than enough. 

We have all savory too. But dessert is just an added expensence that I am reluctant to pay  Not sure if guests expect to get desserts or not. Definitely considering doing the same and just cutting the cake up. Sweet table also sounds great!

MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

In your shoes I'd have a naked cake and serve for dessert with fresh cream and strawberries - if the evening buffet is your main meal.

If you are having a wedding breakfast beforehand then I don't think it's necessary. We are having a 3 course wedding breakfast then an evening BBQ with no sweet options.

We are having a wedding breakfast with 3 course meal. Just wasn’t sure if evening guests expect to have desserts. I love a naked cake! This sounds like a great idea with fresh cream and Strawberries! But heard naked cakes can go dry? Not sure.

Considering having a cake like this. Looks so yummy!

• Abigail56 wrote (see post):
    Nottinghamshirebride wrote (see post):

We have a choice of food for our evening buffet, which does include sweet options (cake selection etc.) but we are choosing to go for all savory. This is because we plan to serve the wedding cake as our dessert. But we also have a sweet table included in our package. With the sweet take and the cake, I think that’s more than enough. 

We have all savory too. But dessert is just an added expensence that I am reluctant to pay  Not sure if guests expect to get desserts or not. Definitely considering doing the same and just cutting the cake up. Sweet table also sounds great!

Honestly, I think people will want sovory more than anything; something to soak up all the booze and not something sweet an sickly. Although, I know that sweet tables are always a popular choice and get raided, so that might be a good compromise. You could set your own up at fraction of the price you’d pay for a dessert buffet! Here’s a couple of ideas from brides that also got married at my venue, which is my inspriation:

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,954 New bride

A naked cake won't go dry if it's cut up and eaten fairly quickly, but it won't keep more than the day. 

• Mrs2018Mrs2018 Posts: 398

We were told it would be 8.50 per idea per person  for deserts and with 80 guests it soon adds up! So instead H2B mum is making 80 cupcakes, then there' the wedding cake and we have a fruit platter. 

If you wanted a naked cake one that is crumbed like this would stay fresher for longer ximage

Nottinghamshirebride - The sweet table idea looks great! Might have to consider this.

MrsCToBee - That’s good to know. Nobody wants to eat a dry cake.

Mrs2018 - Yes it does soon add up. I have a cousin that is a cake maker, so I may even get her to make some cupcakes. A semi-naked cake looks like a good option to keep it fresher! Thank you. 

• We're going to have pick 'n' mix and cut up the wedding cake - the way I see it is I may as well cut up the cake while I have 80 friends and family around me, otherwise it will never get eaten!

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

I am another one who once the drink and dancing has set in I am all about the savoury haha! I would just cut up your cake so those who do like sweet can have something and it also means the cake (or a good chunk of it) will get eaten rather than it all going home with you :)

• mrsdivinemrsdivine Posts: 161 New bride

Our evening buffet comes with a clotted cream tea - the beauty of living in Devon! If we had to pay separately for a sweet option I think we would have opted for just savoury.

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,486 New bride

I would say use the cake.  We are probably having a crepe stand and we have specifically asked not to have sweet options.  We have got cupcakes, plus a cake that looks like a cake, but is actually a chocolate sculpture so I didn't want to focus too much on sugar

• Michelle330Michelle330 Posts: 119

We’re not having dessert in our buffet, I’m not paying £350 for a cake for everyone to have buffet dessert options, and leave me with loads of left over cake, they can have cake For dessert.

Thank you everyone.

This has helped me make my decision. Cutting up the cake it is.