Changing my surname to my married name!

Hi, so I am getting married next Thursday and everything is ready as far as I know, but the next thing I have to think about is changing my name to my h2b's surname but I don't know where to start!

Can anyone give me some advice!

Thank you xx

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

It is super simple to do. Your marriage certificate is the 'proof' you have changed your name. All you need to do is make a list of places to change it (bank, driving licence, passport etc) and then look up what they need.

For your bank you can just go into branch and show your marriage certificate. For the driving licence and passport you need to send the certificate off and complete some forms so that might take you a while. You also need to pay so depending how long you have left on both you might want to wait until it is time to renew anyway.

• Hullass1972Hullass1972 Posts: 606 New bride

It's free to change the name on your driving licence so you mayaswell get that changed, don't forget insurance policies too.

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,440 New bride

You will have to pay for a new passport... But the rest is free 'apart from sending your marriage certificate by 'recorded delivery etc'.

Doctors, dentist, banks, driving licence, insurance, mortgage, NI - it's on government website... You can do that online, mail order accounts, library etc

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

So glad you did this post! 

Is it ok to change it on some things and not others e.g bank, drivers and then do passport later or is there an issue having two names? 

I also have my name on things at work - is it possible to keep my maiden name on these legal documents eg bank, providers etc. Or once I’ve changed it on my home account, licence, passport etc I have to change it on work docs too? 

Thanks everyone! 

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,440 New bride

I don't know about the work bit and paperwork..... The passport was the last thing I did but I don't intend you use it anytime soon.  For me it's just a piece of 'I.D'.

I have heard of some people keeping certain things still in their maiden name....

• Yes it's fine to do somethings and not others.  I haven't done my passport yet as didn't want to pay to renew it, so when I book flights I do so in my maiden name.