Forum home General chat

Engaged for less than 24 hours and family dramas already

Hi all

So my amazing fiancé came to meet me at the airport last night and proposed to me. It was the best proposal ever! I love to travel and often travel solo so it was such an amazing way to propose to me.

Anyways I shared the lovely video online of the proposal, my fiancé asked a lovely group of lads to record it and my oldest sister made a comment about how she would have loved her family to be there. I found it very odd as surely the proposal doesn't often include family but I didn't bite however she's now deleted me from Facebook and wrote a status saying 'My bloody family!'.

I'm so disappointed that she's caused this drama already. I can only assume that she thinks the people recording and cheering are my fiancé's family when in fact they are random strangers who are happy for us.

I've spoken to my parents and explained what's happened and I can only assume she thought my fiancés family were there but to be hones I can't even be bothered to speak to my sister. I'm so angry with her and she's always like this causing dramas so I think I might just leave her to it. Even my Mum said that she's jealous but I think it's sad that my nearly 50 year old sister is jealous of her baby sister.

Any thoughts on what I should do? I really do think it's easier to just ignore her.

• I would definitely ignore it for now, just keep to yourself and don't rise to her, she just wants the attention and its really not worth it. As soon as you start pandering to behaviour like that it never stops. 
  • Thanks @CoffeeDogAddict I know you're right. It's incredibly disappointing but not worth my energy.
  • How selfish of your sister! I'm sure one day she'll look back and feel ashamed and embarrassed of her behaviour. 
    Definitely ignore it and concentrate on enjoying your engagement. If it was me I would be waiting for a big apology.

P.s. Congratulations on your engagement, I hope this hasn't stopped you from enjoying it! x
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,957 New bride
    Yes, just ignore her!
    Congratulations on your engagement, now take this as an early warning/red flag of likely behaviours you will encounter when planning the wedding! 
  • annipooannipoo Posts: 310 New bride
    I would ignore it and just act as normal with her. From your perspective she's got no reason to be upset and she hasn't told you that she's upset, so there would be no reason for you to think that she is upset. If she wants to act like an adult and speak to you, then you can address her concerns.

Congratulations on getting your official proposal! 
  • Thanks so much for the replies. to be honest, she won't be invited to the wedding. She can be a nightmare when she's had a drink so I don't want her around and me worrying.
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,957 New bride
    My sister is also a nightmare when she drinks, but I gave in to my mum and invited her - wish I hadn't, she was a nightmare on the day and it's all anyone has talked about since the wedding which is a bit upsetting. Go with your gut x
  • Well just a quick update but I've actually had a huge bust up with her. Told her not to bother coming to our wedding/hen do and honestly I want nothing to do with her. All she does is create dramas and sadly so does my nephew. He likes to stir things up just like his Mum and we had an argument over something on Instagram. Sounds so trivial but it's the straw that broke the camels back.