Is coronavirus affecting your plans?

Hi everyone, I'm interested to know if anyone has been considering changing or postponing their wedding because of Coronavirus?

Posts

  • abiscottabiscott Posts: 78 New bride
    My wedding is in Greece, in June.  My parents are unlikely to attend now, as my mum just can't risk catching this due to her health problems.  Yet everyone else has booked and paid so I feel like I can't change our plans, I would if weren't so close now.
  • Not worried about my wedding so much as it's in the UK but I am worried about my honeymoon as I'm meant to be going to Italy in April/May and the whole country is in quarantine. I didn't get a package holiday and we just booked directly with hotels and airlines and it's all paid for and non-refundable and even if we had travel insurance it won't cover coronavirus. Kind of worried not going to lie.... :(
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 77 New bride
    I am worried about both my wedding and my honeymoon.

    We are getting married on April 25th - I have started talking to the venue about options for postponing so we can understand deadlines etc. I worry that there will be a quarantine and the wedding won't be able to go ahead but our insurance won't cover it or that it will be able to go ahead but lots of our guests will not come either due to health concerns or being told to self-isolate and we'll lose money / won't have the day we planned. I'm really struggling to know what to do for the best and feel like I can only wait and see.

    We are meant to be going to Italy for our honeymoon straight after - we booked it all ourselves but fortunately we have an option to cancel most of it without charge with sufficient notice. Making a spreadsheet of cancellation dates was not something I ever envisioned having to do.
  • In the same boat as you, getting married on 10th April and very worried.  Our insurance doesn’t cover ‘government act’ either so if they apply restrictions on events, we will lose out (many policies have this small print I’ve found out today). Hoping our venue would be reasonable with an alternative but at the moment they seem extremely reluctant to discuss, I guess as it’s unprecedented territory.
  • jess632jess632 Posts: 10 New bride
    edited 12 March
    It's worrying isn't it? We're getting married on 4th April and have been planning it for around a year. Luckily we took out insurance for the wedding and honeymoon before all this came up (We are meant to go to Japan on 11th April for 2 weeks - no idea if that will happen at this point!) However it's still a concern that we will have to postpone everything and it will be a logistical nightmare to change the dates with all our vendors and guests.  The whole thing was planned around going to Japan in April to see the cherry blossoms so we'll be devastated if that can't happen. Not to mention all of the stress/ anxiety during the build up to the wedding - we'll have to do it all again if it's pushed to later in the year.

    We also have elderly relatives and pregnant friends who may not be able to attend, of course this would be for important reasons and we'd understand, but it would be so sad to have the wedding without some of our nearest and dearest there :( Gutted - fingers crossed it will be alright for us all!
  • I'm not getting married until September, so I'm hoping that the worst will be over by that point and things will be back to normal. But it was really nice to see a post from my Venue on Facebook this morning that said "Organising your wedding can be stressful enough without having to worry about Coronavirus. Please rest assured that we and all our suppliers and partners that will join you on your wedding day will be talking all the precautions and advice necessary  to ensure that you have a memorable day for the right reasons."
    It's not much but its just comforting to see that they are aware how worried people must be about their day getting cancelled.
  • headnovelheadnovel Posts: 1 New bride
    We've got a wedding on the 18th of April and we're very worried about the possibility of losing everything.

    Even with our insurance, and I paid for a decent one and didn't cheap out, we're walking a tightrope. I don't know of an insurancek policy out there that will cover a government act. So, if the government bans weddings before the 18th then we'll lose all our money.

    We have to make the final payments on all our providers next week. If the government says 100 over are banned then we can go ahead. If the venue gets an outbreak, then it'll be cancelled and we'll get all our money back. 

    So do we cancel now, lose £6k of hold out and get a wedding with a strange atmosphere, or possibly even lose everything. Really not sure and it feels like an absolute JOKE that an insurance policy can have suck a ridiculous claus in it that is the antithesis of travel insurance policies where they will only pay out if the government steps in.
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 77 New bride
    We contacted our insurer (Debenhams) and the guidance they provided was different to our reading of the policy, including this:
    In the event that the government and or local authority declared a lock down on a particular area and banned any public gatherings then this would be covered as long as the policy was purchased prior to this announcement. 

    We are seriously considering postponing our wedding reception / celebration (we are hoping to go ahead with a smaller church wedding). I'd check your venue / suppliers options with regard to this. Our concerns are the same - people may not attend / be in the mood to enjoy the day and we felt this wouldn't be worth the money.
  • vic_eloisevic_eloise Posts: 8 New bride
    We are due to get married on 18 April and have had email today from venue offering that we can reserve a back up date or change the date to one free later in year.  I am seriously thinking of just postponing till 10 October.  Its upsetting but think that in the long run less stressful 
  • jess632jess632 Posts: 10 New bride
    @vic_eloise That sounds like a sensible decision. Lucky you got the email from the venue - ours are still refusing to budge and want to make us pay all over again if we cancel / postpone. We're rather postpone in all honesty but at the moment we are being forced to push ahead with an event that will potentially put people at risk because we will lose £15,000 if not :(

    I hope we will get a similar email sometime soon!
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 77 New bride
    We cancelled our honeymoon yesterday.

    We are going to look into new dates for the wedding this week. It's so hard to know when to postpone to, how to handle it all and also I think we would be going ahead with no insurance as there seems to be no way to get it now for another date.
  • abiscottabiscott Posts: 78 New bride
    I said on this thread a few days ago that I would cancel if it wasn't for the fact that everyone had paid to attend (wedding in Greece).
    Well, last night we made the decision to cancel, around the health of our guests and the travel ban chaos.  For anyone thinking of doing the same, can I just say, every one of our guests has been amazingly supportive; it's handed their travel decisions back to them, some people were still going to come, against their inner judgment and others were worried about letting us down last minute (as some NHS workers have been told their leave might be cancelled at short notice).
    So now we're starting again, looking at the UK for 2021, and yes, we have lost money (as we took the decision to cancel) but my relief today has been overwhelming.

    Good luck to anyone debating the same decision.
  • vic_eloisevic_eloise Posts: 8 New bride
    @ClareB we are moving ours to October & I called our insurance (debenhams) who said they aren't accepting mid term amendments but if venue change date we can claim.  So at the moment we will be going ahead with no insurance for our new date but if potentially mass gatherings cancelled we can claim for date insured.   Does not make sense to me
  • carmack83carmack83 Posts: 13 New bride
    We dont get married until June 20 but right now are a little worried as my parents are in the at risk category and I cannot imagine not having them there :( 

    My insurance I paid over the odds for says: 

    "The Insurance Emporium do not cover any claim as a result of any notifiable disease. A notifiable disease is any disease that is required by law to be reported to government authorities.

    COVID-19 (Coronavirus) has now officially been registered as a notifiable disease in the UK.

    For more information please refer to the General Exclusion section of your Policy Wording." 


    This makes me believe that it was an absolute waste of money. Our honeymoon is to Bali and Cambodia and we do not yet know what will happen with this although the hotels and airlines are pretty positive. 

    I really hope you all have a wonderful day no matter what and when it happens and that the pain I am feeling does not affect all of you as it is awful isnt it?! 

    Love to all xx

  • missharvey007missharvey007 Posts: 1 New bride
    edited 16 March
    .
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 77 New bride
    @ClareB we are moving ours to October & I called our insurance (debenhams) who said they aren't accepting mid term amendments but if venue change date we can claim.  So at the moment we will be going ahead with no insurance for our new date but if potentially mass gatherings cancelled we can claim for date insured.   Does not make sense to me
    All very confusing - I guess what I've realised in all this is that having contracts with all your suppliers is more important than anything else as it might be easier to get money back from them if they can't provide their services, rather than an insurer. We have also decided to postpone and are planning on the end of September.
  • Hey everyone, We are meant to be getting married at the end of June and have obviously made the decision to postpone. The venue is only offering rebooking between October to March. Despite the fact it is a summer venue that has never ever held winter weddings due to it mainly being an outside venue. Do we all think that this will have blown over by ocotber? I’m terrified that we rebook for then and end up in the same situation again.
  • We getting married on 9th April, but have decided to postpone we don’t have insurance for wedding. We are very luck our hotel and photographer has all agreed to change dates with us with no extra cost. Our only problem is choosing when is best. We have been given a date last weekend of June, but my mum still thinks that’s to soon. So we stuck when to book for😫😫😫
  • We getting married on 9th April, but have decided to postpone we don’t have insurance for wedding. We are very luck our hotel and photographer has all agreed to change dates with us with no extra cost. Our only problem is choosing when is best. We have been given a date last weekend of June, but my mum still thinks that’s to soon. So we stuck when to book for😫😫😫
    Last weekend in June is when ours is and we are definitely postponing. Just in an arm wrestle with the venue just now. Which is so draining. Really feel for everyone who is struggling right now! 😢
  • I'm due to get married next Thursday 26th March and as yet everyone of our suppliers has said it will accommodate us if it has to be postponed. Hotel is saying business as usual unless things drastically change. My ceremony is quite small only 40 guests and another 50 invited to wedding party. Am so stressed can't get excited at all😔
  • Not worried about my wedding so much as it's in the UK but I am worried about my honeymoon as I'm meant to be going to Italy in April/May and the whole country is in quarantine. I didn't get a package holiday and we just booked directly with hotels and airlines and it's all paid for and non-refundable and even if we had travel insurance it won't cover coronavirus. Kind of worried not going to lie.... :(
    Crazy what a week can do.... Now looking likely that I will have to postpone. Getting married on 22nd April and my mum has been told she has to be in self-isolation for 3 months, as have many of my uncles and aunts etc. Absolutely heartbroken that this has happened, I just hope my venue, etc are understanding and will help me out :(
  • I'm due to get married next Thursday 26th March and as yet everyone of our suppliers has said it will accommodate us if it has to be postponed. Hotel is saying business as usual unless things drastically change. My ceremony is quite small only 40 guests and another 50 invited to wedding party. Am so stressed can't get excited at all😔
    We just spoke to registrar today were in Wales, they would only let us have ten people in ceremony that is to include them us so only left seven spaces for guests😢. So we moved it to August had to pay 30 to change date. And now have to reapply for wedding license and that 70. But it’s all worth it as we will have everyone there we want.
  • Adele_20Adele_20 Posts: 1 New bride
    So I’m due to get married on 28th March, spoke to the venue, registrar and all my suppliers as far as they are concerned it’s business as normal, I’ve spoken to all of our guests and only 6 have decided they don’t want to come now which is fine, I’m just worried I shouldn’t be doing it and try and postpone I want to go ahead but it just doesn’t feel right at this time!!! Having an absolute nightmare!!! 
Sign In or Register to comment.