Plain girls target handsome men

Just reading the news on a popular womens magazines website and i come across this article called 'Plain girls target handsome men'

Apparently, beautiful women dont tend to care if a man is handsom or not because either way, her 'beauty' genes are in the mix and they are likely to have beautiful babies. Plain girls target more attractive partners to 'boost' the 'beauty gene-pool' for their children. Bizarre huh?? Obviously the same logic applies to men. Attractive men will date all kinds of women, but ugly men will only target attractive women.........

I love this because i've had some dreadfully ugly boyfriends in the past and it means i can just say 'i dated these men because im pretty enough to make beautiful babies regardless of their looks' lmao.

Not sure what it means now though. I have a very attractive h2b and he in reverse thinks im a Goddess.... so who's the ugly one???

• jacquelienejacqueliene Posts: 6,350
    i to have had some rather unattractive ex bfs (as my friends like to keep reminding me) but i think me n h2b are equals in the looks department. maybe thats the key to a good relashonship?
  • I suppose it makes sense.

xx
    i would just like to add that we are not both ugly lol
  • I disagree. I think people are drawn to people of their own "number". So if you were a 4, you would go for a 2.5- 5.5. Likewise, if you were a 10, would you really say your partner was a 2?

I think me and hubby are roughly the same number!
  • LiLiukLiLiuk Posts: 1,548
    I think me and my h2b are equal...

Actually no, if im honest i think he's a hottie and that im the scruff bag... but then he thinks the same about me. Maybe we cancel the effect out..

And to be fair, who has EVER seen a fit man with a partner who is obviously unattractive... if a bloke is attractive and knows it he'll get the best he can find. Look at Brad Pitt... i dont see him dating scruffs!!! But then to counteract that argument Cate Blanchett is a Goddess but her hubby isn't exactly an obvious Adonis. I can think of plenty of women who date less-attarctive men but hardly any of the reverse. Is this just further proof to show men are shallow?

Oh no wait. I did once date a guy who was better looking then average and basically just told me how inferior i was every day. So i broke it off. AND my h2b dated a girl once who was clinically obese and a proper proper chav so maybe men DO settle for less sometimes.

Who knows.

As far as im concerned i just have justifaction now for ever settling less then for what i deserve. I was doing THEM a favour for dating them image

• riallewsriallews Posts: 254
    oh well im a fatty with pretty eyes and my h2b if a scruff with a nice arse. i'd say we compliment each otherimage
    Has anyone else seen the article btw?
  • dizzycowdizzycow Posts: 831
    i dont believe stuff like that. i never go for less or more than me. i like to feel equal with the other
  • i think that any conclusion that makes the attraction mystery too much based on genes/biology or too much based on psychology is going to be skewed. attraction is far too complicated to be wholly either of those. i mean how many contributing factors have ppl identifited: pheromones, immunological indicators in saliva, hormonal balance, father/mother figures, looks, personality, socio-economic factors, even fate, spiritual factors, etc. i think there is just too much that goes into making you fall in love to pin point it just to one thing.

i mean if beautiful women go for ugly men how do we explain all those stunning hollywood couples?

although i would agree that women are more likely to date less attractive ppl than men are... oh men. men men men.
    I would always kid myself and say 'well they ARE attractive to me' and i was genuinely attracted to them... but in hindsight... lol
    i think you can be attracted to some1 for other reasons ie their personallity or cause they were good in bed lol
  • deniseoukdeniseouk Posts: 1,920 New bride
    Now when I think about it I've been with some right ugly gits...........but at the time....maybe through drink etc.......they were nice, ha ha

I used to be so shallow, I even finished with one guy 'cos I didn't like the jumper he was wearing one night...bumped into him a few years later and thought !!!! Wow why did I do that.

I think h2b and I are equal looks wise. But we are compatable in every way, love him to bits.

Got to say though, when you look at some couples it has to be for the money that they are with them for.

• susu88susu88 Posts: 904
    hmm..h2b just said he was better looking than me lol. He's just being facetious. Although I do wonder what he sees in me sometimes. I'm ok looking I suppose and h2b is very cute indeed. Well I think he is at least haha. Saying that when I first met him it wasn't love at first sight. In fact my first thought if I am being honest is that I thought 'NO' but as I got to know him more throughout the first date the more I liked him and and it was his personality that shone through and that is what attracted me to him. So as far as ugly going for beautiful? I think it's the person that makes them attractive to others. Well unless you happen to be incredibly shallow. That article would be interesting to read though. Where is it from?
  • banana_jambanana_jam Posts: 2,215
    I've heard of a slightly different version of this - there was an experiment in which they got a bunch of men to run around and sweat, then gave their sweaty T-shirts to a bunch of girls to sniff. The girls had to decide whose smell they preferred - and the more attractive the girl was, the less attractive was the bloke whose smell she picked. The idea is that you will always go for someone with a genetic make-up which is as different to yours as possible - that is, when you've only got smells to go on!

I must defend men against the accusation that they are shallow because they go for women with looks, though - because in almost all cultures women typically go for men with money and prospects. Strangely, the better off the woman is, the more she thinks that his financial viability is important - women are (supposedly!) biologically hard-wired to look for men who'll provide for them, regardless of how capable they are of providing for themselves.