Picnic weddings?

Hi I like the idea of having a picnic after my wedding. I just wondered if you had any suggestions? And also I am unsure of how to get around the formal wear - I'm sure people won't want to be playing rounders in suits and dresses! We also live too far away for people to come to the cermony then go home to get changed and to come back.

• deecydeecy Posts: 7,493
    lol we're doing this is 34 days time, having a picnic in our park after the ceremony & playing rounders!

we're going very informal, jeans etc - everyone is supplying their own food & drink though we're also supplying cold drinks, ice creams & the cake!

I think if you have a reception as informal as a picnic with games you should really tailor your dress code around that :\)
  • samwuksamwuk Posts: 16
    Do you remember the canvas things that parents used to put up in the back garden? Kind of like a strip of canvas on wooden poles that were positioned in the ground - I've racked my brains and can't remember exactly how they are referred to!

Anyway - if you do....you could take a couple of those, stick 'em into the grass (to form a circular 'changing room') and do a 'Superman' changing competition!!! Quickest to get into casual clobber gets a prize!! image

[Modified by: samw on May 26, 2008 07:43 PM]
    windbreak?
  • samwuksamwuk Posts: 16
    yeah!! Thanks for pointing out just how bad my memory is!! I was thinking wind cheater, but that's an anorak scenario! image

You are a hero for coming up with the name - thank you!

[Modified by: samw on May 26, 2008 09:06 PM]
  • ems111ems111 Posts: 1,076
    We are having a picnic style reception with picnic tables and picnic rugs, but having croquet and boules instead of the more energetic games!! we thought about suppling packet picnic baskets, but though it might mean less mingling, so are going for a buffet instead so people to eat outside. Do you have an 'in case of rain' strategy?!
  • heva4747heva4747 Posts: 5
    Were just trying to think of cheaper alternatives than hotels! We have found a lovely old house where you can hire a barn but if we get married there the service has to be at 11 so it means feeding people twice. I would like to get married in a church and have the service later but my h2b is not sure if he is comfortable with that idea as he has never been to church. We have looked at some local parks but the facilities arn't great such as toilets. Behind the barn there is land you can use to hire bouncy castles and things and thought of the posibility of a picnic during the day then cold buffet and disco on the night. If it rains at least we hav a room we could go in or thought of buying a cheap marquee of ebay!
  • sarahrobsonuksarahrobsonuk Posts: 3,266
    Deecy, are you two getting married in posh outfits then getting changed afterwards for the picnic?
    no not at all we're getting married in jeans/casual clothes [and encouraging guests to dress the same] so we can all eat our picnics and play games without worrying about our clothes or feeling uncomfortable.
  • TToniukTToniuk Posts: 894
    I bet most people will change in their cars.

The picnic sounds wonderful

Good luck with everything

• heva4747heva4747 Posts: 5
    I've decided to go for a bbq during the day. I've found a caterer for £8.50 and you seem to get plenty but still have loads time to keep looking around. Thanks for all your help.
  • beccibukbeccibuk Posts: 244
    Quoted:
    Were just trying to think of cheaper alternatives than hotels! We have found a lovely old house where you can hire a barn but if we get married there the service has to be at 11 so it means feeding people twice. I would like to get married in a church and have the service later but my h2b is not sure if he is comfortable with that idea as he has never been to church. We have looked at some local parks but the facilities arn't great such as toilets. Behind the barn there is land you can use to hire bouncy castles and things and thought of the posibility of a picnic during the day then cold buffet and disco on the night. If it rains at least we hav a room we could go in or thought of buying a cheap marquee of ebay!

Can I ask where the house/barn is as we are looking for something less formal then a hotel and like the idea of a garden party/fete theme?
  • ElSebukElSebuk Posts: 842
    Wow, sounds like a great idea to go for that! Your weddings and receptions are going to be soooo much fun!

We are hoping to have a less formal reception, but are planning for late March 2010 so weather probably won't be good enough for outside. We were hoping for a barn type thing somewhere as h2b doesn't fancy a marquee but I don't think there is anywhere close enough to our church (in Matlock, Derbys) to be able to do that.

Good luck with your picnics though!!!
  • sparkledreamsparkledream Posts: 207
    A picnic sounds lovely, though i do get the whole being dressed up posh thing, as i want to do the whole white dress and posh suits wedding, and like has been said would have to get changed.

Have you seen the (i think it's) waitrose advert. is that what your going for? do you have any pics, of your ideas or inspiration?