Engagement Party?

Hi, I've just got engaged (yay!) and am wondering whether or not to have an engagement party, I haven't met all of his family and he hasn't met all of mine and the wedding won't be for at least 18months quite possibly longer so was just wondering what people think about engagement parties.

Is anyone else having one?

Becky x

• mozdavismozdavis Posts: 248
    we never bothered - but we got engaged in october and our wedding is on 2nd february, so there wasn't really time!!!
  • claretweezeclaretweeze Posts: 1,613
    I got engaged just before halloween last year. We had a kinda Corpse bride halloween/engagement party. It was just good fun! Up to you though, if you want a party have one. If your on a tight budget like me tho, a friendly house get together is far cheaper.;\)
  • florasukflorasuk Posts: 269
    I think its a good idea to have one. We got engaged inMay 05, and had our engagement party in July of that year. We're not getting married til Oct 07, so there was plenty of time!!

I think if you're having a longish engagement, over a year or so, then its nice to have one - its a party after all!! A nice chance to dress up and enjoy yourself. Its much less hard work than organising a wedding but at the same time its good practice, so go for it, especially if you haven't met all each others families yet - gives you a chance to mert them all before the wedding.

[Modified by: cookiecat on November 27, 2006 10:18 AM]
  • MoominmummyMoominmummy Posts: 1,621
    I think it's a lovely idea especially if you don't both know each others families very well (and if parents haven't met each other etc) and if you can afford it!!!

We didn't have one for a few reasons - our parents knew each other before we met - in fact they introduced us (sad isn't it!!!) but also & more importantly, H2B's parents live abroad & his dad is in a wheelchair so he can't travel easily. It would have just felt wrong to have an engagement party without his parents there.

Some very close friends of ours had one though this year & it was really fantastic & it was a great opportunity for them to meet each others parents properly & for the parents to meet etc.
  • Congratualtions becky_p!! We had an engagement party - any excuse for a party I sayimage

Go for it...and it gives you a chance to have all those friends you may bnot be able to have to the wedding!
  • We get married Aug 07 and have been engageed about a year. We held an engagement party in Oct this year and it was a great success. I def recommend one to anyone!! Perhaps you could have it nearer to the time as it also rrequires some planning on your part!! As blushing Bride said it was a great chance to invite people to celebrate that we wont invite to the wedding due to limited numbers at venue etc.

Well worth it and people can meet before the big day and get to know each other!!
  • We get married Aug 07 and have been engageed about a year. We held an engagement party in Oct this year and it was a great success. I def recommend one to anyone!! Perhaps you could have it nearer to the time as it also rrequires some planning on your part!! As blushing Bride said it was a great chance to invite people to celebrate that we wont invite to the wedding due to limited numbers at venue etc.

Well worth it and people can meet before the big day and get to know each other!!
  • lozzyuk1lozzyuk1 Posts: 1,910
    we had a party - really simple,hired a room at a club,decorated it ourselves with balloons,tablecloths,scatter confetti etc,had our own cd made up and asked everyone who was invited to bring a food item.it was really fantastic !! and got loads of pressies !!

• lozzyuk1lozzyuk1 Posts: 1,910
    we had a party - really simple,hired a room at a club,decorated it ourselves with balloons,tablecloths,scatter confetti etc,had our own cd made up and asked everyone who was invited to bring a food item.it was really fantastic !! and got loads of pressies !!

• Hi Becky

Congratulations! I would recommend one as its a really happy time and it's nice for everyone to wish you well in advance of your wedding. Despite what I'm about to write i would definately have one again as its important to share your happiness with people who want to wish you well, and people always like a party!

We had an engagement BBQ in July after getting engaged in June and it was done with the best intentions - his parents live down south but we live up north near my family so the plan was for his mum and dad to meet my family and to feel involved. We had the BBQ at our house, we bought the food and everyone bought their wn booze, so it wasn't really a dear do, which was good as money is v tight!

The day went really well and everyone got on and made a real effort to talk to his parents - i am from a very close family so all my aunties and uncles knew how important it was to me that they all got on.. his mum was saying to my mum how pleased she was we were getting married so i thought it had been a great success...

...Until the day after when his mum told me that my family has taken over her son and that I am a very selfish person wanting to live so close to them all (ie and not to live close to her)!

It's not the first time she's done this kind of thing so it wasn't really a shock, and although I could have done without it, I'm glad it happened because I know to keep my distance the day after the actual wedding, should she decide to share her feelings again! If we hadn't have had the engagement BBQ then if she had said something after the wedding i would have been really upset and not expecting it - now i'm fully prepared and determined she won't spoil anything for either me or my future husband!!

Sorry, bit of a rant there, but please don't be put off, I think engagement do's are a lovely idea!

L x
  • Hi

I wasn't too bothered about an engagement party as I thought it was an added expense but h2b wanted one so I went with it and we had a lovely night and it didn't cost much at all.

We held it at his brothers bar which was free to hire, his mum did the food, his auntie the cake and decorations and we paid for the dj(£90!!!). My family travelled down from Scotland (I live in England) and we had a great time.

Even though we did not expect it we also received around £600 in cash and gift vouchers which we put into our wedding fund!!

Go for it, it's a chance to dress up and be centre of attention for a night xx
  • emmabuk1emmabuk1 Posts: 127
    Hey becky,

We had a surprise party - we invited family and friends round for 'a few drinks' on a friday evening and got my parents to welcome them in when they arrived (saying that we were just upstairs getting ready) then when everyone had arrived my dad said that he had an announcement to make and we came down the stairs and announced that we had got engaged two days before - then we got out the champagne and spent the evening celebrating! Everyone said it was a lovely way to find out!!! (and it only cost us a small amount for champagne, a light buffet and cake!!)

Em xx
  • we got engaged in june and decided to have an engagement party in august.

we had it in my parents back garden, with a bouncy castle! loads of friends and family came was not very expensive at all.

i was suprised at how many people offered to help!

also people asked what present we wanted and we said vouchers, but as no-one could be bothered to go to the shops to get them so we got a lot of cash

Lianne
  • LIZZYGukLIZZYGuk Posts: 336
    Congratulations becky_p!! h2b and i got engaged july 05 and had an engagement party in the nov (i don't know why it took 4 months but hey!) and it was really good. We're not getting married til july 2008!! We had lots of family and friends there and everyone had a good laugh, so i say go for it!! Yay, party!! x x
  • Many congrats to you!

We got engaged at new year and had an engagement party in March. I would definately recommend you to have one. I had met most of H2b's family and he had met mine, but they had not met each other. It was really sucessful both families meeting that way and lucky for us they got on really well! I say go for it!
  • Hiya, our engagement party was on Saturday night. It was FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We'd been to France on a booze cruise and bought 56 bottle of Champagne plus loads of beer and wine, about 35 people were at our house; me and my old friends from univ dancing around the living room to a 'disco' on the X-Box which has flashing lights etc. It was one of the best nights of our lives, the theme was Champagne and Claret (like the wedding!) and it gave me a great opportunity to wear a stunning new Ben de Lisi dress, and serve endless Champage all night. Plus we had the added bonus of presents!! Aside from that though, it's always a wonderful opportunity to get together with friends and family, get to know each other etc and raise a glass to true love, and good happy events in life!!!
  • We didn't have an engagement party coz H2B is working abroad, but all close family have met each other, and the others are spread out a lot. He had a family party this weekend so I got to meet about 50 new relatives en masse! I'm glad I met them all before my wedding!
  • We are having an engagement party for all our friends, as we know we wont be able to invite them all to the wedding (as v small church, and not enough room in parents garden).

We thought about having another one for our familes to meet, but decided it was just too formal (and parents live abroad so difficult to organise).

We got enaged in Sept, engagement party in Nov and wedding in July 08.

I def think you should have a party though - hope it goes well.
  • Go for it Becky! It will give you both the opportunity to meet respective families on neutral ground.

We had a small family meal for our engagement and although it was lovely, I wish we'd had a party now to celebrate with our friends.