Wedding Insurance - why on earth not?

There was an article on breakfast tv this morning where a couple whose house was damaged in the tornado in London last week did not have any buildings insurance and expect the govenment to pay for the damage - in my view if they should have had insurance and don't deserve any money from the government.

I've just seen from the online poll that 46% of us are not taking out wedding insurance - what are your reasons for not taking out insurance?

• I was surprised by the 46% figure too Pickwai - I didn't hesitate to take out insurance - my wedding is the single biggest expense apart from my house and £50 is such a small amount to pay for peace of mind.

Sorry - I know you were asking why people hadn't taken it but just thought I would answer anyway.

• I haven't arranged any insurance yet but will have to sort it ..Still i do wonder what could go wrong apart from the obvious things ...I can Imagine people only spending 1-5K are not as likley to take out insurance
  • jetbabejetbabe Posts: 309
    I am only spending 5k and getting married abroad so have travel ins as well....

Way I see it is if it does go wrong do I have another 5k? well...erm...NO!

Also the travel ins will only cover the 'holiday' and not if something happens on the wedding day...
  • I think the couple who didn't have insurance for the tornado had been in the middle of discussions with their insurance company because of existing subsidence and had actually returned their forms, its just that the insurance company say they didn't receive them before the tornado hit.
  • i do agree i have not got it yet but i will be getting it anything that comes with insurance i take it
  • We were tossing up what to do about insurance but went for it in the end. I didn't want to spend a lot because, hopefully, you will never have to use the insurance and it will be money essentially of no use but I did want to know that I could get something back, should the worst happen!
  • KorenaukKorenauk Posts: 627
    maybe im too trusting coz wedding insurance has been last thing on my mind!

I get married in feb & nothing has gone wrong! Do we really need it?
  • Natalie77ukNatalie77uk Posts: 1,247
    Mrsgavin2b - I think it's worth it because what if, say, your venue burns down or floods between now and Feb? (not saying it will though hun but anything can go wrong!)

I will be taking out insurance but really only getting the most basic package as don't want to spend a fortune.

Got to http://www6.marksandspencer.com/pages/default.asp?PageId=FAQ&Product=WI which is Marks & Spencers wedding insurance and gives a good idea of what it can cover. Anything could go wrong right up to the last minute so I think it makes sense to take it out. What's £60 out of the total budget anyway?!
  • We haven't yet but we will. Just need to get it sorted. x