Venue decisions..

Hi all,

I am having a bit of a nightmare deciding on the venue for our reception.

We have decided on our local church, and have narrowed reception venues down to 3.. I can not for the life of me decide which one to choose. We have viewed each one a couple of times.

We like them all a lot, and as they are very different it is difficult to make comparisons. The costs are within £2k of each other (according to my quick calculations) and are all within a mile or so from eahcother. Our chosen date is available in all 3 too, so we haven't even got that to help us!

I would really like to get it booked asap, and lots of people putting pressure on us, saying things like "just pick one of of a hat" but I don't just want to pick one for the sake of it and regret it later.

How do we decide?!?

:\?

• hi, try space for one, i know it sound rude but look at the loes is there enuff space to move in your dress, are they child friendly, how much help will they offer ie. table decs flowers, what sort of menu do they offer will they change it for you, whats the parking like. just a few hints i hope they help.
  • EleBranEleBran Posts: 556
    Thanks Mandy - I am trying to weigh up all the pros and cons that they have.

It just seems at times that noone can see it as such a big deal - but to me it is...

• Its going to be the biggest day of your life you might as well get it right. I have had to change my venue because they are not child friendly, but my kids come first.
  • clareabellaclareabella Posts: 3,001
    Hi, I'm in pretty much the same position, we have brochures for three, the one i like the most h2b likes the least and vice versa and the other is the top of a hill (middle of nowhere) in the pennines!!!!

I'm begining to think maybe the actualy venue isn't THAT important, but what you make of your day, we aren't planning it until march 2010 but like you i want to sort it asap.

Are your venues the same as mine in that certain parts are better than others and you're trying to weigh up the pros and cons of each one?

Have you tried the food at the venues yet? maybe that could sway one of them?

Cx
    Which I agree is very important yes, I think once it is booked I will relax a little, I just want it to be perfect!
    Quoted:
    Hi, I'm in pretty much the same position, we have brochures for three, the one i like the most h2b likes the least and vice versa and the other is the top of a hill (middle of nowhere) in the pennines!!!!

I'm begining to think maybe the actualy venue isn't THAT important, but what you make of your day, we aren't planning it until march 2010 but like you i want to sort it asap.

Are your venues the same as mine in that certain parts are better than others and you're trying to weigh up the pros and cons of each one?

Have you tried the food at the venues yet? maybe that could sway one of them?

Cx

We both like them all, and keep swithcing from one to the other and changing our minds.. I'm glad that it's just not me! i was starting to feel like i was turning into a monster!!!

The food idea is a good one - but I like pretty much everything, and just so indecisive!

I suppose I ought to feel positive in the fact that at least I have found somewhere suitable.. just too many now image
  • clareabellaclareabella Posts: 3,001
    That is true, at least there are options there for you. I got a little annoyed by h2b's reason for not liking one of them, he was concerned that our guests might find it a little difficult to get to, even though it's sign posted from the M62!!! My view was it's our day, not theirs, and we can give them directions.....

Why not post links to your venues and see what people think? I was considering that one as i really can't decide........:\?
    I am with you on the 'Your Day' views, we have had this issue too...

The one venue we have looked at, has a website with hardly any pictures on.. so its difficult to explain to people..

• Hi! Just an idea of what we did if any of the venues you are looking are hotels. Look on websites like trip advisor to see what others thought. I found this helpful especially when looking at how wedding guests felt about the venue xx
    Hi Laura - have just printed off reviews for all 3 f the venues as they are all hotels... some of them are great to be fair.

The one hotel has a wedding organiser there that we really clicked with and he has had some great reviews - the hotel is probably the bottom of the 3 but I am wondering whether having someone there to help who I think would make all the difference should be the decider??!
  • Hi - can you not go for taster sessions? Or book yourself in for a night at each one?

You could then decide on service and general ambiance and pick the one you enjoyed being at the most.

We looked at soooooooooo many venues and the one we went for in the end had the wow factor, was clean and the staff were really friendly. Those were our must-haves.

List the must-haves or things you like/dislike at each venue now and hopefully it'll become clearer... xx
    I have started doing lists, I keep asking everyone else what they think too - but everyone is too scared of influencing us into making a decision i think... I am confident whichever one we pick out the 3 will be great, I really do like them all - which is better than not having any to consider!