Forum home Getting started

Anyone getting married in Norfolk ?

Hello, Just wondering anyone getting married in Nelson's county Norfolk. I'm getting married near Norwich and don't think I've seen any Norfolk posts on this website.imageimage

• Hi,

I'm getting married in Suffolk - just over the border but very close to Norwich as well.

Where are you getting married?
  • HI,

I'm getting married just outside Norwich in Hethersett. Love the venue bt realised after i booked it that people will have to find it!!! Also trying to transfor the venue with chair covers, but as yet don't have a supplier
  • I'm getting married in Lowestoft, Suffolk, so not too far away. It's a bitch trying to plan it from Plymouth though!

Kate x
  • I'm getting married in Bungay which is quite easy to find but parking is a nightmare!! We are having a marquee on council land by the river - it is lovely but of course there have been so many problems! I am currently trying to write a risk assessment!!!!image
  • God Bungay Tiger, that doesn't sound fun!! A risk assessment??!! It does sound beautiful though. We're having our reception in a hotel on the beach so are going to all head outside after the wedding breakfast and take some informal photos whilst throwing sand around and stuff.. Should be great fun. Yours sounds really elegant though...

Kate x
  • janey_80janey_80 Posts: 52
    Hello,

I am also getting married in Norfolk, Dunston Hall in Norwich, where is your venue?

Jayne
  • My venue is the church of Gunton St Peter in Lowestoft, followed by the Hotel Victoria in Lowestoft.

Kate x
  • Nina698Nina698 Posts: 291
    Hi everyone there's so many of us !!! I am getting married at Elderton Lodge, Thorpe Market. It is also difficult to find but I don't care as it is magical and has lots of deer and v remote. I looked at Dunston Hall it's nice.

That risk assessment thing does not sound romantic but it's all for the greater good !

Also I am organising from Londonso Kate know the difficulties of long distance organisation !!

i grew up in Norfolk and only now know how underated it is !!
  • sarahharveysarahharvey Posts: 707
    Hiya, i'm from Norwich, getting married in Cyprus but hoping for reception in Norwich! Just started planning for Aug 08 and there' so much to do!!

• Hi - I'm getting married in Norwich too. Having the reception at Sprowston Manor (can only just find it myself, and have lived here for 10 years!).

We wanted a venue where our guests could also stay - and that wasn't already booked! So that limited our choive a bit. Was a bit worried about going for a big hotel (had to be talked into it) as the whole multiple wedding potential was an issue.

naddyb - I've been recommended a company called http://www.specialitylinens.co.uk/ for seat covers. Works out at about £3-4 a seat (if you just choose seat covers) and £6/ seat if you want a package that includes table cloths. Can you let me know if you've had any joy.

Penny

PS I'm still looking for a dress - where has everyone been looking (those of you in Norfolk?). Tried Pure (lovely shop, great service ...blooming expensive...but great dresses); La Creme; the scarey looking place in Chaperfield; and Dream Brides ... had a week off work - did too many shops for my brain to cope with! Now plain confused!

Pen

• Hi,

I went to la Creme and it was lovely - they were so nice and they had a really good range of dresses. In the end I bought my dress in Pronuptia in norwich - they were so nice and my dress is lovely. I think why I like them is they have a complete range of prices - would definitely recommend them!
  • P.s. Risk assessment is now nearly done. Just trying to get the invitations finished - i am making them myself.

The wedding is kind of elegant but very eclectic. I love colourful things so the dominant colours are red and purple (my redding dress is red). The marquee is being decorated with all sorted of lovely things - we are having red and white polka dot tablecloths and enamel containers for the flowers! See what I mean by eclectic!!

Are any of you guys having themes?
    I want a real summer theme poss Sunflowers and pink Gerbias !!I'm going to try pronuptia too I got a dvd from them and their prices look good.

Colourful sounds really good.
  • angie72ukangie72uk Posts: 231
    Hey girls,

I'm not getting married in Norwich but I was born there and my parents and family live there. I got my dress from Prima Donna in The Mall but I would not go there the service was awful and they really look down thier noses at you, it was an awful experience but I was tied there as I wanted the dress!!

I went to my nan's party at Spowston Manor and yes there wre two weddings there as well, we were looking at both brides so it was fun for us.

My mum is a seamstrss who is making my bridesmaid dresses if you need any shortening she would be there to help,,, I'n not advertising she isn't a business just fantastic at sewing!!

Good luck with your planning,

Love A xx
  • I' m getting married at Caistor St Edmund just outside Norwich.
    i know someone who got married there the photos looked good !!
  • Hi Norwich girls - are people hiring cars? If so what kind and where from? I googled to get a quote and the nearest place was Essex - can't believe that!

PS bought my dress from Pure in the end - the girls in the shop were fab!

Angie72 - got me worried on the 2 brides thing now! The only place I can see the two parties (if there is another one) coming together, is outside (but in Nov hope won't be a prob), or by the bar when the rooms are being cleared for the knees up? Doh!

I went to a wedding years ago, at a place in London with 2 brides - and thought what idot chooses a place with mult weddings..... Urm?image

Hope everyones planning is going well xx

Hiya Girls,

Pennylovepete, I wouldnt worry about it too much, most venues try to get timings right so that you never meet and they are probably big venues so you all have different bar and outdoor areas.

I also got my dress from Pure, they were just so lovely in there and nothing seemed to much trouble.

Cant help with the cars as we have had horse and carriage.

If I can help with anything else then please let me know!

Happy planning, Jayne x

• Hi Jayne

Horse and Carriage - very romantic - is it open? I bet you'll look fab. Which dress did you go for in Pure? Pure was the first shop I went to, so they were a hard act to follow, they really have a great knack of making you feel special. I'm looking forward to going back in and seeing them! I'm on the shoe hunt at the moment - where have Norwich brides being looking for shoes? I'm after closed toe, high heels - with a strap - did try a pair on in Pure, but £190 - and convinced I can find something cheaper.

Penny
  • I didn't try Pure but did go to Prima Donna and hated it. That is why I liked Pronuptia because they made me feel special. They loved the fact my dress is so different as well. I was lucky and got my wedding shoes in Schuh for £20 in the sale - they aren't traditional bridal shoes though which did make a difference!
  • sarahharveysarahharvey Posts: 707
    Just to let you girls know there is a wedding fayre at Norwich Holiday Inn TOMORROW.

There's also one at Caistor Hall in Caistor St. Edmund on 14th and 15th April and another one at Dunston Hall on 29th April.

ladyinpink xx image

Hello Penny,

I went for the Constnatina dress in the end as it was the only one to make me cry when I put it on!

I have not brought shoes yet as still looking! I have found a good website though, http://www.theaccessoryboutique.com/ they seem to be quite reasonable prices and you can send them back if you dont like them!

Happy shoe hunting

Jayne x

• JoannashippJoannashipp Posts: 510
    Hi girls, i'm not a norfolk bride, but am from there originally. we nearly went for elderton lodge, but hiring out the whole hotel when family lived fairly close seemed a bit pointless, so considered lenwade country house hotel. we have since discovered its gone bust!!!! I took my mum shoe shopping norwich and quite liked bhs range especially for closed toe shoes. would love to hear everyones plans and help out if i can.
    Hello Mrs Munkee shame you couldn't have Elderton it is nice, Where will you have it now ? I'll try and locate my book where I wrote other venues .

I found a constantina dress but in Devon so if someone can tell me where does a constantina range in Norfolk I'd be grateful.

I'm getting a bit overwhelmed as buying a house too and need to save lots of money for both house and wedding. I've got ages but do worry as my contract runs out in October and I am a nurse and jobs are getting harder to find !! I need to not worry and chill !!! Does anyone else seem to go through major panics and then not for a while
    Hello Mrs Munkee shame you couldn't have Elderton it is nice, Where will you have it now ? I'll try and locate my book where I wrote other venues .

I found a constantina dress but in Devon so if someone can tell me where does a constantina range in Norfolk I'd be grateful.

I'm getting a bit overwhelmed as buying a house too and need to save lots of money for both house and wedding. I've got ages but do worry as my contract runs out in October and I am a nurse and jobs are getting harder to find !! I need to not worry and chill !!! Does anyone else seem to go through major panics and then not for a while
    sorry I put that last msg on twice !! I'm on nights so obviously still half asleep !!

Mrs Munkee you could look at Stower Grange hotel in Drayton. They didn't have the date I wanted so didn't go there website looks good and I've heard they are popular.

• Good tip about bhs MrsM - haven't been in there for years, will check them out at the weekend. didn't think picking shoes would be so hard (you can hardly seem them after all!), but loads of the closed toe ones are quiet low on the toe (as my bridemaid calls it 'gives too much toe clevage!'). actually the ones I like the most are also the cheapest (bonus) company called meadow, style called Skye (bit too pointy, and half an inch too high?! other than that perfect?! So still on the look out...

Nina - ah bless you, moving house, getting married and looking for jobs! I think you're allowed to be stressed!

Good luck on all 3 accounts. Are you buying in Norwich? Are you at the Norfolk and Norwich - I have a few nurse friends there, so if I can be of help - let me know.

Penny xx
    Hiya,

Pure in Norwich do Constantine dresses, I got mine from there which one of them have you chosen???? They are all lovely!

Jayne
    No I'm moving to Kent so even worse as have no idea of the area !! It's ok I'm not going to think about it. Also I'm on nights at the mo and haven't done them for a whils so going loopy !!

Hi Janey I'll have a look in Pure I liked Adelaide by them which one did you like ?. Apparantly sometimes they change the ranges so prob need to decide soon just in case.
  • JoannashippJoannashipp Posts: 510
    hi girls thanks for the venue tips, but i'm afraid we've abandoned norfolk in favour of the lake district!!!!! it was always our 'dream' location, but family pressure meant we seriously considered norfolk. unfortunately the only two venues we really liked we couldn't justify their prices. sorry to be negative, but norfolk venues attract a lot of londoners which equals london prices :\( on a more positive note, i bought some shoes from bhs for the evening reception - pretty beaded pumps- as i simply can't see myself ceillidh dancing in the 3 inch heels i have for the ceremony!!!;\) what are evetyone elses norfolk plans?