Devon brides?

I've trawled through the forums trying to locate another devon bride! I cant possibly be the only one! xxx

• no your not the only one lol, there was a huge thread going on but i cant find it anywhere, when are you getting married and where hows all your planning going.

im getting married september 4th at the rydon inn holsworthy north devon.x
  • me..... me me me me me

hello
  • angelcake71angelcake71 Posts: 523
    Yes ME!! I am a Devon Bride too, although I live on the Dorset/Devon Boarder.. my wedding is in Devon!!! I am on 25th September..
  • beckyb34beckyb34 Posts: 75
    Me!!

I'm getting Married in Saunton Sands, North Devon on 9th September 2011 and I can't bloody wait!! imageimage
  • JessieRoweJessieRowe Posts: 295
    There is a plymouth Devon brides thread somewhere. Im getting married in Tavistock on 6th Aug WOOOO! Only 16weeks for me xx
  • HanloumHanloum Posts: 2
    I'm in Devon too!!!
  • Hi!

I am getting married at Dartington Hall in June : )

The old Devon thread had quite a few brides on it, and was full of useful supplier info and advice, so its a shame that we can't find it..
  • Hello

I'm another one! Does anyone have recommendations for hairdressers that will come to the house on the morning? I've found someone for make up but am really stuck for hair.

Also has anyone booked the band Up4Grabs?

xx

• I'm Devon too! We are getting married inbetween Okehampton and Launceston. Really excited! When are your dates? We are June 11th image
  • Devon bride here, April 2012 image I live in Brighton but fiance's parents are in Honiton! We haven't put a deposit down, but probably lakeview manor, cause it's purty! I'd quite like to keep this thread up in running because so far googling different suppliers hasn't brought up tons of choices, boo!

Sharon
  • Helloo,

Hope you don't mind I joined in. Just registered ;p

I'm Devon too image June 2011, can't wait

• Ooo I'm a Devon bride too. So excited! June 2012, a way to go but I like to get organised lol.

@2ndjulybride, I'm looking for a band too, where did you hear about Up4Grabs? Have they been recommended to you?

I went to the Westpoint wedding fair last month, got lots of cake information! Was anyone else there, did you see the Noel Edmonds thing? Sooooo moving! I blubbed!
  • Verity12Verity12 Posts: 253
    I got married in Devon on 21 August. I live in Gloucestershire, so it was difficult being that distance and doing the organising. Would be happy to recommend local suppliers (I got married in Dartmouth but used suppliers from all of Devon)
  • Hi all,

If I get some information for all lovely brides here that will be great image

Verity12, Can you be so kind to recommend any suppliers you used please?

H2B wantted Jazz band, does anyone has any to recommend?

I found Band of Gold on the net, have anyone used this band before? if so, can I get any input please? image

Thank you ladies

P.S I am in Plymouth, Devon
  • I'm Devon bride! Getting married in Exeter next July. I heardUp4Grabs at a wedding fayre recently and they sounded AMAZING if that helps. Think they charge £1200 as far as I can remember.

Who's everyone having as their photographer?? We chose Ian and Kitty Wright eventually! Too much choice! X
  • Verity12Verity12 Posts: 253
    2011tink...

Photographer - Natasha Valentine

Make-up - Changing Faces (used their lady for hair)

Videographers - DoubleOweddings

Evening reception (on a boat) Dartmouth Steam Railway and River Boat company

Disco - Chaos

Wedding venue - Royal Castle Hotel, Dartmouth

Balloons - Tozers

Chair Sashes - Alight balloon company

Flowers - Smith street deli

If you want the low down on any of these, send me a PM and I'd be very happy to let you know
  • Thank you very much Verity12 image
  • Thanks Verity12, I've booked Changing Faces too, what did you think, yay or nay? Did your make up last all day? That's my main worry, I tend to become an oil slick by mid afternoon!
  • Venue: Lakeside, Roadford Lake

Accommodation: Frankaborough Farm Cottages

Hair: Hush Hairdressers in Launceston (travelling to the venue)

Makeup: Owner of the accommodation's daughter

Venue Decor: The Cover Cupboard, Newton Abbott (LOVELY LADIES!)

Photographer: Paul Smart from Maxam Photography - Okehampton

Suits: Frederick Mabbs in Yeovil, Somerset

Dress/Shoes etc: Rookery Manor, Weston-Super-Mare

Cars: Wedding Cars of Devon - Newton Abbott

Cake: Kate Allnut from daisycakes - Newton Abbott

Think that's everyone! image Then things like my jewellery, lingerie etc I've bought online and little bits to decorate have been ebay! And stationery I'm making all myself! image
  • Thank you for the info MrsHunt

You are well organised image everything seems to be sorted so just enjoy the day I hope.

• Sorry for slow reply, I've just come back to this thread. We saw Up4Grabs at the Westpoint Wedding Fair and have now booked them.

Has anyone found a jazz duo or trio for background music during the drinks reception?

For make up we're having Josie Lock - a friend had her at her wedding and she was great.

Which florist is everyone using? Anyone know Jenniflower in Exeter?
  • Hey

Can I join in too? image

I'm getting married at Whitehouse in Chillington on 18th December.

We both live in London though, and my fiance is from Bolton, but my mum and sister live in Cornwall..so Devon isn't soooo far out. We basically just decided on Devon as we fell in love with the venue.

We're (hopefully) using Emma Vowles for flowers, a friend or one of 2 Devon-based photographers we've found but will meet soon to decide. Amy Peters is going my make up and we're on the lookout for a great jazz quartet (like you too 2ndJuly bride) or small swing band is anyone has any recommendations?..

Dress will come from London..after this weekend's shopping, I hope to know exactly where that will be!

xx

Ps- WeddingSchedulizer , I feel your pain about the oil slick face - add to that spots for me..oh joy!

xx
  • We live in london too so makes it a bit harder to find suppliers and get everything organised!

For jazz we're looking at Lush Life and Fine Whines. Does anyone have any experience of them or other recommendations?

• I've gone ahead and booked a swing band - The Drat Pack. I haven't seen them live, but they've got some of their music on their website and have had great reviews. Swing band was one of the MOST important bits of the wedding!!

How are we all getting on with our planning? I'm moving back to Devon on friday! (from Somerset)
  • Hi sarahbirchalltobe, we are thinking of having Emma Vowles for our flowers, she is lovely and I just love her natural floral style but......she is an hour and a half away from our wedding venue, and she charges £40 per hour for her time (so for setting up flowers at the venue and such like), so we were looking at an extra about £200 for her to put in all the flowers on the day before the wedding, and a further about £120 for her to deliver the bouquets on the morning of (so they are kept fresh as!). Not sure if our flower budget would cope with £320 not being spent on flowers....it's such a shame because I love love love her arrangements.

Anybody have any hints for florists near Shebbear? It's in the middle of nowhere!!!!

@2ndjulybride I'm London(well south Herts really)based but getting married in Devon too!
  • For Jazz Bands try Teignmouth Jazz - we have them coming to play at the lunch my mum is having in our marquee the day after our wedding (7th May!)
  • Hello everyone, I am another Devon bride image We are planning our wedding for 2013 but might bring it forward if H2B's job situation improves. It's all a question of money really. We live on the edge of dartmoor in the teign valley and are currently trying to find a relaxed venue with lots of accommodation nearby as my part of the family are all coming from abroad.
  • Hi Athena49,

We went to look at some venues with on site accommodation, they were Colehayes Park http://www.colehayes.co.uk/ Cadhay http://www.cadhay.org.uk/ and Ash Barton Manor http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/england/e1387.htm. They are all places you can hire for a weekend, so perfect if you haven't seen family for a while because they all live abroad.
  • Thank you. This is exactly what I need. I'll look into them.
  • MrsHunt110611MrsHunt110611 Posts: 1,992
    Hello image

Since my last posting I've now changed Hair/Makeup - going with Changing Faces now. And i must say, so far I'm so impressed. They are a little on the pricey side but their work is amazing and I've booked them for hair, makeup, manicure/pedicure and false eyelashes before the wedding.

So far they've been lovely on the phone and I'll end up meeting 4 of the different girls (as they all have different specialties)

ALSO -

I've started my own business into invitations/stationery. Link to my website is below. I'm exhibiting over the next month in the following areas --

5th March - Lakeside, Roadford Lake, Broadwoodwidger (my venue!)

19th March - Mercure Hotel, Exeter

20th March - Woodlands Castle, Taunton

So if any of you are around - would be lovely to meet you!! xx