Essex Anyone?

• jetbabejetbabe Posts: 309
    kerryc have you tried bury lodge next to the airport?

• KerrycukKerrycuk Posts: 195
    No haven't looked there yet - thank you very much x

• jetbabejetbabe Posts: 309
    Just mooching around for stuff and came across this:

For 1 week only the Bridal Dressing Room in Hamlet Court Road, Westcliff on Sea are offering 50% off of all the Bridal gowns, bridesmaids, promwear and accessories in store, including the new 2007 ranges

Tuesday 5th December 06 until Sunday 10th December 06

Not sure if it helps anyone..........
  • Jet,

Yes i have ordered my dress, from Confetti and Lace at Lakeside, which has had some bad reviews on this forum however my experience was wonderful i felt like a princess. my dress is strapless overlaid with lace it is gorgeous and very slimming, I had to order a size 22 which was a big shock considering i am a size 16 normally but it's not the size it's what it looks like and how it fits.

How about you Jet?
  • Hiya, its Christmas and my boss is away so this is the first chance I've had to reply to a message and hope it won't be the last!! My partner proposed on the 25th February this year and in April we booked the venue. We're getting married 6th October 2007 at Parklands. We're hoping to move from Enfield to Bishop's Stortford so kind of wanted something in that area but what really sold it to us was the fact that the venue is exclusively yours for the day, and the bedrooms have to be seen to be believed, they're absolutely gorgeous and huge. A lot of other venues we looked at had to be shared (Hanbury Manor, Manor of Groves) and we didn't want to have to duck when somebody tee'd off the green!! Has anyone been married / getting married at Parklands?

• I don't know of anyone who has gotten married there, we got the details when we were looking around but decided it was just a little too far from us (we're in Colchester). We are getting married in Goldhanger with our reception at Vaulty Manor (Maldon) in June 2007.
  • Anguk1Anguk1 Posts: 78
    Hi all iI live in westcliff-on-sea. and my partner and I are getting married in santorini and having a reception in the uk at Cromwell manor in Pitsea.

Ang
  • Hi girls - read this thread ages ago and thought I'd replied! I'm an Essex girl from Billericay originally but bought a house in Wickford opposite the station in 2002. H2B and I moved to Bangkok in 2004 and will get married in a Church in Bangkok next August. Sourcing as much as I can from Thailand but some things just aren't the same so will be on the look out for a nice tiara when I jet back to spend a couple of months in the UK from Jan (boy I must be mad - it will be so cold!!).

If we hadn't moved abroad we would have probably married at All Saints Church in Stock - no idea about the reception venue but wouldn't have been Stockbrook Manor because its just a little too close to home and I know many of the staff.

Been to some lovely Essex weddings - Five Lakes (Cold Norton I think), Crondon Park - beautiful venue but costs the earth and, perhaps my very favourite, a venue just off the A12 near Kelvedon - can't remember the name but it was just like stepping back in time to an Edwardian country house party.
  • JJukJJuk Posts: 45
    Hi

I live in Chafford Hundred and am getting married at Braxted Park on the 11th August. Have booked everything so am really bored now - but am loving hearing about everyone's weddings. I have loads of details of suppliers and stuff for weddings so let me know if you need a hand.

Jenx:\)
  • My fiance proposed on 15th December and I can't wait to get married (definitely would like to do it before I'm 30 in July 2008). I have been looking at venues online only so far and am finding it very difficult to find a reception venue which is close to a nice CofE Church and that also has accomodation as we will have lots of people travelling from afar.

Top reception venues I've seen so far are Ye Old Plough and Maiden's Barn (I really like the barn feel for the reception). Can anyone recommend any nice Churches in the area (no more than 10miles away)? I will have about 125 at the ceremony.

Thanks!!!
  • Hi Everyone!

We are thinking about getting married at the Boatyard restaurant in Leigh-on-Sea - has anyone else had their wedding there or been to one??? One thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

L

• Hi all! I live in Gidea Park and am getting married at Crondon Park in May 07. I didn't realise it was so expensive until I read this thread. We just like the venue and booked it! I think it's around £6,100 for the venue, reception drinks, canapes, wedding breakfast and buffet based on 70 day and 100 evening. I thought that was about right!! Ah well, would have been nice to have had a cheaper venue but every time I go back there I love it even more.

The only other venue we looked at was Vaulty Manor which is lovely but too far, plus the bar/buffet is in a different room to the main room and my family has a habit of staying with the food and drink so we wanted it all in the same room.
  • HarveygHarveyg Posts: 114
    Hello all Essex B2B's!

I can't believe that I have missed this thread for so long.

I live in Upminster, am previously from Hornchurch and am getting married on the 22nd of December next year.

The ceremony is in All Saints Church in Cranham (which is lovely if anyone is looking for a C of E, it's quite small but with gorgeous stained glass windows) and the reception is at Stockbrook manor in Billericay.

Mrs Woody2b, which room are you having at Stockbrook? We went for the Rosewood as it's the right size for us. We went to look at it again just before Christmas to see the decorations they would have up, and I still love it!

Everything is pretty much booked/sorted now, including my dress which I got from MatchMaker in Brentwood. Only thing left to organise are the men's outfits and bridesmaids dresses. I have been waiting a long time to get married, so I haven't mucked around in getting everything sorted!

Looking forward to hear how you are all getting on with your plans and swapping hints and tips.

Happy New Year!

xxx

• Wow so many Hornchurch and Gidea park girls!

I use to live at Cecil Avenue in Hornchurch and on Northumberland Avenue in Gidea Park!!!!

• Hello,

My daughter has just married at Parklands. What do you want to know?

• Hiya New Brides Mum,

Hope you all had a wonderful day at Parklands. Just wanted to get a bit of feedback from someone who's got married there. Were you all happy with the venue, were the staff attentive, was the food good. Anything you would have changed? Also, was the cat wandering around?!
  • michnaukmichnauk Posts: 211
    Hi

I've booked Parlkand for 8th Feb next year, could you let me know what it was like? One of my friends went to a wedding there and loved, she is one of those friends that has been to soooo many weddings, so thought she was a good choice to ask.

thanks

• Quoted:
    Hiya New Brides Mum,

Hope you all had a wonderful day at Parklands. Just wanted to get a bit of feedback from someone who's got married there. Were you all happy with the venue, were the staff attentive, was the food good. Anything you would have changed? Also, was the cat wandering around?!

Well, first of all it was a fabulous day and the Quendon Hall / Parklands setting is lovely. We have learned such a lot about organising a wedding and dealing with venues we are all agreed we will certainly do things differently if/when one of our other children marry. We will certainly want EVERYTHING to be very SPECIFIC eg, not just ask what a buffet consists of but HOW MANY of each item ... Not just ask WHERE the cake will go but specify which way round it should go... etc etc

Anyway, this is what we found:

1) The food was ALL delicious and well presented - BUT anything you need to know about the menu make contact with the Chef and don't go to and fro through the office staff!

2) Be aware that it is one of VERY FEW venues that re-use rooms. This means that if you have your wedding in the main hall then there will be a gap when they re-set the room to eat. This is fine but not ideal - It wouldn't be a problem if you had less guests and could use the bar for the ceremony.

3) They do not clear the tables between the wedding breakfast and the evening. Obviously the plates etc are all gone but they leave glasses of wine and don't even change the tablecloths. I expect if you were specific about this they would do it for a fee but we assumed that this would happen anyway and it didnt. Our evening guests therefore were arriving into an area that had a "used" feel.

4) Do you really want to COMPLETELY VACATE your bedroom by 9am the next day so that they can clean for the next wedding?

5) The person responsible for the smooth running of your day is brought in to do only that. He works from a list of requirements. Make sure you have EVERY LITTLE THING you want on that list. Don't think that because you have phoned through with something thst it is on that day plan! Get a copy faxed to you the day before so you can check it!

6) Be aware of the fire/safety signs plugs etc as many are not well placed. Our photographer spent ages removing them from the photos! Also, the drawing room, though an attractive room in real life is not very photogenic and looks a bit drab. If you go to visit, take some snaps to check for yourself as obviously they could have decorated by the time you may want to use the venue.

7)The staff were all fine and attentive, and NO, we did not see the cat!

Notwithstanding all this, the guests didn't know most of what went wrong and it was a stunning and glorious event!! In the end, a wedding is always really about the people and if you love someone and other people love you, the joy and delight will be what is remembered even if a few bits and pieces get missed out.

At the end of the day, however perfect the wedding, it's the marriage that counts. (I can say that now we aren't up all night for weeks on end planning! image !!

• Hi New Brides Mum,

Thanks a mil for supplying that info, it will certainly be very useful. We're hoping to have about 80 people at our wedding in October but have decided to have them there for the whole day and evening. We're getting married at 2pm and having a sit down do at 5 followed by a disco. We're planning to go back in July to sort out the menu so will definitely make sure we have contact with the chef! We're hoping to have the ceremony in the bar area so that should alleviate the probs of resetting the main room, I assuming they'll leave the tables where they are during the disco as there shouldn't be any need to move them, plus we're having large candles on the tables (Parklands are OK with this) and would like them left on the tables and on during the evening. I do find having to vacate the rooms so early a bit of a nuisance but I suppose if we leave the rooms at 9 to make our way down for breakfast it shouldn't be too bad, I won't be happy if we have to be downstairs for 7am. At your suggestion I think we will put together a very comprehensive list of everything we expect to happen and go through this with them and if there are any problems, perhaps we can iron them out beforehand. Very helpful info about the photographer. Our lady has been there before so she should be aware but I will point this out to her anyway, thanks a mil. Shame about the cat, thought I could decorate it for our wedding!!

Thing is we all know its a very stressful event to arrange and because you're involved each and every day, you tend to see all problems, albeit big or small but I suppose at the end of the day, like you say, guests probably never notice any problems anyway and they're all there to celebrate the joining of two people who love each other and to spend the day with people they love and enjoy.

Again, thanks a mil for your advice.image
  • Quoted:
    Hi New Brides Mum,

Thanks a mil for supplying that info, it will certainly be very useful. We're hoping to have about 80 people at our wedding in October but have decided to have them there for the whole day and evening. We're getting married at 2pm and having a sit down do at 5 followed by a disco. We're planning to go back in July to sort out the menu so will definitely make sure we have contact with the chef! We're hoping to have the ceremony in the bar area so that should alleviate the probs of resetting the main room, I assuming they'll leave the tables where they are during the disco as there shouldn't be any need to move them, plus we're having large candles on the tables (Parklands are OK with this) and would like them left on the tables and on during the evening. I do find having to vacate the rooms so early a bit of a nuisance but I suppose if we leave the rooms at 9 to make our way down for breakfast it shouldn't be too bad, I won't be happy if we have to be downstairs for 7am. At your suggestion I think we will put together a very comprehensive list of everything we expect to happen and go through this with them and if there are any problems, perhaps we can iron them out beforehand. Very helpful info about the photographer. Our lady has been there before so she should be aware but I will point this out to her anyway, thanks a mil. Shame about the cat, thought I could decorate it for our wedding!!

Thing is we all know its a very stressful event to arrange and because you're involved each and every day, you tend to see all problems, albeit big or small but I suppose at the end of the day, like you say, guests probably never notice any problems anyway and they're all there to celebrate the joining of two people who love each other and to spend the day with people they love and enjoy.

Again, thanks a mil for your advice.image

I think you will have a lovely day and it IS possible to get things sorted.

Do make Lists, Lists, Lists! And then make sure the list info gets onto the plan. We has minor problems with things we thought were agreed (such as where a gift table would be, who would help guests with their coats as they left (No-one!), and what would happen to some "feature" flowers once the ceremony was finished).

If you want candles (or anything else for that matter) then get it on your plan. It was discussed but not actually written down on ours it seems. My daughter wanted candles and was told yes she could put them anywhere but three weeks before when it was raised again was told no, only on the tables! The day before the wedding we spoke to someone else who said yes of course we could have them in containers (eg glasses etc) so it was a mad dash then to find things that were suitable.

You will probably find that they will not allow 80 for the wedding in the bar. We could not have ours there with less guests than that.

If you don't have any extra evening guests then I don't think the messy table linnen will be such an issue as it will be their mess! I don't know what they do with the extra tables that spill into the disco area when it comes to the evening though?? Perhaps they remove them altogether?? We were only just over the border into the disco end with our tables.

If you discuss ANYTHING that matters to you, get it on the plan and I can't stress enough that you should CHECK IT against your own list immediately before the day. Ours looked fine to us three weeks before but as so much is sorted in those last few weeks I wish now we had a "last minute" copy to check.

As I said before, it was still a fabulous day and one we will remember forever, but as it IS so special and important to us we all want it to be as perfect as it can be.

If you want to know anything else and think I might know, I'm happy to help.
  • Hi All

I grew up in Upminster, H2B is from Upminster Bridge and we now live in Chafford Hundred.

We have booked our wedding for 6th June 2009, at Ye old plough House, our other choice was Orsett hall, but we went for the plough as i liked the barn style venu and accomodation was nicer.

having Church wedding at St Josephs church in Upminster, (i went to the St Josephs Primary school and it is my parish church)

We were going to book 2008 but we went for 2009 as i want plenty of time to plan and book things! seems like such a long time away! its so hard to not look at dresses and things too early!! my wedding count down is currently 842 days!!

currently looking for wedding car and photography.
  • MESHERMESHER Posts: 146
    Hi everyone,

I'm from North Weald, we have picked 6 venues we want to look at and have appointments in the next couple of weeks one of which is Leez Priory which I loved the look of but a few people have told me that the bar and dance floor are in different buildings. We also dont really want to have to have their caterers any suggestions????:\?
  • Yes i know of someone who got married there and the dance area and bar are across a garden/lawn area and everyone ended up at the bar. Not sure about the caterers there. i think they had the caterers as a buffet.
  • MESHERMESHER Posts: 146
    We're also looking at Gaynes Park, Parklands, Newland Hall, Fanhams Hall hotel & Vaulty Manor any feedback for these anyone?
  • I've posted two long postings re my daughter's wedding at parklands above if that helps
  • Hey Vik

Im getting married in Parklands - Quendon Hall next September. Email me privately if you want to know more cos im at work and i now have to log off

Nikki xxxx:\)
  • Hey girls,

I have now booked Ye Olde Plough House in Bulphan for my wedding which I have now brought forward to Dec 8th this year image

Does anybody know anybody who got married there? I love the place but will be getting married in the smaller room of the two they have, The Cavalier Suite.

Karen xx
  • Hi Karen-Louise

I have also booked the plough house. but for 2009, while to go yet!

I decided on here as the venue as i know of some family friends who have had/been to weddings there and have said how excellent the staff and food are. So after hearing all good reviews and meeting with Jane the wedding co-ordinator i booked it! its a lovely venue isnt it?

we are having the monks barn, as we have about 100 guests. The cavalier suite was lovely too!! the style of the entire place is exactly what i wanted.

Are you having a winter theme or anything similar in December?
  • michnaukmichnauk Posts: 211
    Thanks for the info on Parklands.

We are having the meal in the marquee, then they will move the tables into the house as we cant have the disco in the marquee.

I never really thought about the table cloths to be honest and i assumed they would move my table decorations/candles with the tables - i will def get this checked out with them.

One of my close friends is going to oversee the decorating of the tables, cake table etc in the morning, so i will make sure she has a list the same as the one i give to Parklands.

They have another open day on 25th Feb dont they, i might pop back to have another look around.
  • Hi Kat

So pleased to hear of somebody else having their wedding at Ye Olde Plough House. I really wanted the monks barn but I only have 80 people for sit down meal so room would be too big. Where is the room in which you will be getting married? I have the Eleanor room.

I am having Ivory and Burgundy for the wedding colours and I have 3 adult BM's and one flower girl. I will be having on the tables square vases with Red Roses placed in the vase so they are flat on top if you know what I mean and then I am going to hand rose petals around the vase and then candles as well image

I just love the gardens there but I am prying to god it does not rain image

What are you having?

Karen xx

Karen