Essex Anyone?

• Quoted:
    Probably a bit late to join this thread but couldn't resist. I'm an essex girl born and bred now living in Eastwood. We're getting married on 28th September 2007 at Hylands House in Chelmsford. Getting soooooo excited now! Has anyone else booked Hylands House or been to function there? I know it's a bit late now but would like to hear all comments good and bad!!!!

;\)

Oh wow, i've finally found someone else who is getting married at Hylands, my wedding is in December this year and i can't believe how quickly it is comng round.

We only got engaged in January so its been a bit of a whirlwind :\)
  • Yeah, another Hylands House bride. Was looking through this post and couldn't believe there was no-one else using Hylands House. We got engaged in August last year so only had a year to plan everything. Have you got everything booked now? Out of interest have you booked contractors off of their list?
  • Hi VIK987

Good to hear that someone else is from Basildon, I too am going to the wedding fare at the Holiday Inn.

Well myself and H2B have booked Friern Manor for a thursday in Sept 2008, quote me had was about £4300, that included 47 people to the day and an extra 30 for the eve, includes a DJ and a pianist and a free hotel room for the night, so that least we haven't got to worry about that.

We did look at Stockbrook Manor which was very cheap about £3500 but just didn't feel right for us. Ashwells in Brentwood is very nice and of a reasonable price. Crondon Park in Stock is lovely too however they quoted us £5300!!! Was abit over what we wanted to speak.

Hope this helps

Cheri
  • I should really read what I have wrote before submitting. Above should of read as "Was abit over what we wanted to spend"
  • vik987vik987 Posts: 175
    Hi

i cant wait until tommorrow.

Frien mannor was my second choice, however took oh & family to see The lawn which all has fallen in love with.

I cant wait to book it now. Just gotta save a deposit.

Quoted:
    Hi VIK987

Good to hear that someone else is from Basildon, I too am going to the wedding fare at the Holiday Inn.

Well myself and H2B have booked Friern Manor for a thursday in Sept 2008, quote me had was about £4300, that included 47 people to the day and an extra 30 for the eve, includes a DJ and a pianist and a free hotel room for the night, so that least we haven't got to worry about that.

We did look at Stockbrook Manor which was very cheap about £3500 but just didn't feel right for us. Ashwells in Brentwood is very nice and of a reasonable price. Crondon Park in Stock is lovely too however they quoted us £5300!!! Was abit over what we wanted to speak.

Hope this helps

Cheri
  • Quoted:
    Yeah, another Hylands House bride. Was looking through this post and couldn't believe there was no-one else using Hylands House. We got engaged in August last year so only had a year to plan everything. Have you got everything booked now? Out of interest have you booked contractors off of their list?

2 of our contractors are from there list:

Caterers: Feasts and Flowers

DJ: Richard Palmer (Nomad Disco)

The only external one is our Photographer David Woolway from Oxford, who photo's i really like the look of and he does reportage shots which is what we wanted.

We are keeping everything as simple as possbile because i want the venue to be the attraction (after me of courseimage )

So are you now married? How did your day go? I can't find anyone that has got married at Hylands and i really can't understand why not.
  • Hello Kelly,

So nice to finally hear of someone else getting married at Greenwoods!

We absolutely loved the place when we went to look at it, as you say the staff are really friendly and helpful. We went for a meal there and the food is gorgeous, quite a few people I know have been there and have all raved about the food which can only be a good thing.

We're getting married at All Saints Church in Hutton, we are having the marquee as we've got about 100 people to the day and another 30-40 in the evening so wouldn't of been able to not have it.

Kelly xx

• Quoted:
    libbysmum, I see you are getting married at Brentwood registry office, if your looking for a reception venue try Ashwells, www.ashwells.co.uk I'm getting married there 23.8.08 and its a lovely venue and not too expensive.

dizzyb

So glad to find someone else getting married at ashwells!!! Was starting to worry coz no-one ever mentions it, thought I might have made a mistake lol. We are getting married there on 22nd March 2008. Things are starting to move quite fast now lol, cannot wait until after xmas!!!
  • Hi Racingbird,

We get married in 3 weeks on 28th September! Very excited now!! I've tried to keep everything simple as well because the venue is so ornnate and beautiful I don't think it needs any decoration.

Hardly any of our contractors were off the list but I haven't heard anything from Hylands House so I presume it's ok!!

Do you have a colour scheme?
  • g_louise,

I am having cream flowers and my bridemaid's are in deep red, we are getting married in december so i thought the colours fitted well. Other than that im not doing anything because i love the venue.

Best of luck for 3 weeks, im so jealous, i can't wait for these next 3 months to go by, i want to see the look on our guests faces when they see the banquetting suite
  • Quoted:
    Hello Kelly,

So nice to finally hear of someone else getting married at Greenwoods!

We absolutely loved the place when we went to look at it, as you say the staff are really friendly and helpful. We went for a meal there and the food is gorgeous, quite a few people I know have been there and have all raved about the food which can only be a good thing.

We're getting married at All Saints Church in Hutton, we are having the marquee as we've got about 100 people to the day and another 30-40 in the evening so wouldn't of been able to not have it.

Kelly xx

Hi Kelly

We have not yet tried there food but now you have said that i might book up to have a meal. It's always good to hear positive feedback from other people.

We origianlly booked all three rooms due to the cost of the marquee but we've now decided to go for it instead. They did tell us that it would be half price if someone else booking it for the same weekend, as we are getting married on a friday, so we're hoping another couple will come along and want to book it.

What date did you say your getting married? Its not the same weekend is it, we could both get a good deal?

Kellyx
  • Hello,

We're getting married on the 6 September next year they said the same thing to us about the marquee what about you, please say its the same weekend ;\)

Kelly xx
  • Hiya

Oh typical, no unfortunatly not, its 8th August. We should start handing out leaflets outside Greenwoods to get people in to book our weekends so we both can get our costs down.

Kellyx
  • Morning,

Thats a shame, the leaflet idea sounds like a plan though image

Kelly x

[Modified by: kelrad on September 12, 2007 09:44 AM]
  • Hi

I am an essex bride too!

Getting married at Fennes 27.07.2008, live in Harlow.

Getting dress from Bellissima - love that shop.

n

• Hey Vicki

Just seen your message, congratulations on the engagement! Myself and my fiancee Josh are getting married at Parklands in Sept 2008. We only saw 3 venues...Braxted Park which was amazing but very expensive (£35k for the venue/food only!) Manor of Groves which we didn't like (more conference hall than wedding venue) and finally Parklands - our search ended there - if you do book an appointment, ask for Nicola Poole as she is just fantastic!!

Best of luck with the search, if you want any more info drop me an email

Nikki xx
  • Quoted:
    Hi

I am an essex bride too!

Getting married at Fennes 27.07.2008, live in Harlow.

Getting dress from Bellissima - love that shop.

n

x

My dress is from Belissima - they are great aren't they! image
  • Hi Nikki, we're getting married at Parklands on 08/02/08, Nicola is very helpful isnt she. Are you going to their open day on 14th October?
  • Quoted:
    Hi Nikki, we're getting married at Parklands on 08/02/08, Nicola is very helpful isnt she. Are you going to their open day on 14th October?

Aww congratulations! Not long at all to go for you is there, bet you can't wait! Nicola was definitely the best person we had dealt with whilst seeing the venue, really put us at ease and answered our questions before we even asked them! Very efficient person in deed.

I am! I take it you are going as well? Have you seen the new bridal pavillion and the new cottages yet? xx

• Ive seen the new cottages but not the bridal pavillion it has got to be really impressive to make me change my mind about staying in the bridal suite in the house, cause i thought that was lovely. We have got to book our meeting with them at the end of October to go through the plans for the day and our menu choice, which is gonna be difficult cause we cannot decide on what to have. We looked at Braxted Park too, but i preferred Parklands (suppose i would say that eh) we didnt even look at the costs, just the venues, and Parklands felt more homely if you get what i mean XX
  • Couldn't agree more - Braxted was amazing until we walked by the guy that lives there - it was so weird, he was eating breakfast and painting, it was like i'd been flung back in time! Haha!

The Pavillion is great, but im not sure i like it as much as the bridal suite, it depends if you prefer traditional (bridal suite) or something with a modern twist (pavillion)....lemme know what you think when you go in october hun! xxx

• We're getting married at Parklands in 12 days time (6th October) and can't wait although when I now see the countdown as double digit numbers and not triple I'm getting rather nervous . We booked in April 2006 and each time we've taken different family members there to see it the sun has been shining (Summer and Winter) so I'm hoping that's a really good omen; keep everything crossed for us! We're dealing with Caroline and I must admit she can come across a bit abrupt, I hope you don't find that with Nicola. What they should remember is that they're dealing with this every day but to each one of us its all new and exciting and a very important special day and there may be lots of questions to ask. The bridal suite in absolutely stunning and enormous. The bridal pavillion looks very nice but I just love the idea of staying in that lovely old stately home and walking down the long winding staircase to meet my gorgeous H2B waiting for me. Good luck everyone.
  • Jools63 good luck next Saturday hope you have a lovely day, please come back and let us know how it all went (along with some piccies)

we booked ours August 2006, cant believe how quickly its all going

we are having trouble picking a menu, not sure if the one you have is the same as one we have as its a few months apart, a friend of mine has been to a wedding there and said the food was lovely

good luck again!!!

and i'll let you know what i think of pavillion, but i reckon i will stick with the bridal suite cause like Jools, i like the idea of staying in the house

Shell

XXXXX

• vickyirishvickyirish Posts: 2,037
    Hi I am from Hullbridge in Essex, we are getting married in America!!!!

But we are also having a blessing and a marquee over here after, if anyone has any ideas much appreciated!!!!

Thanks

Vicky

xx
  • vickyirishvickyirish Posts: 2,037
    Sexy sammy; where in hockley do you live, did you go to greensward school???

• good luck jools! i really hope it goes well for u next weekend and defo start a new post afterwards and let us know how it went hun!! very excited for you!!!

ive looked through the menu a couple of times and reckon we will pick from all of them as there isnt one set menu that we like - im not keen on lamb and h2b is allergic to nuts so have to be really careful - also wish we could arrange a tasting but they dont do them image

xxxx

• Hi guys,

Thank you for all your good wishes. We had a truly memorable day at Parklands on Saturday 6th October. I got there with the mums at 9.30 am and met with Vince the house manager who was lovely. Straight away we were offered refreshments and then whisked off to the room to get our hair and make-up started by Deborah and Vanessa. We started off in one of the enormous rooms at the top of the house but were able to get into our rooms by 11am as the staff, especially Beverly, were so efficient. Sandwiches were brought up at midday to keep up the energy levels!! Our photographer, Sally, who was marvellous, was there from the start and was clicking away. Then all my friends started turning up and visited us in the bridal suite while we were all getting ready. At 2pm my friend, Tony who was giving me away, and myself swept down the gorgeous staircase and into the reception room. The string quartet started playing and I was so nervous, I was shaking like a leaf but as soon as I saw Darren waiting for me, looking so handsome, he took my hand and made me feel better. So many people commented on the Service and how lovely it was and also how nice the Registrar was. After the ceremony we went outside onto the patio as the weather was nice and warm and mingled until we were called for the photos. Although it started to get slightly overcast, we didn't mind as we were grateful it wasn't windy or raining. Photos took about 2 hours and then at 5pm Vince announced us and as we walked into the room and everyone clapped and cheered, it was awesome. Darren still can't get over the noise! The food was out of this world; we had 6 courses: Spinach and cheese tartlet, roasted parsnip and rosemary soup, sirloin beef with all the trimmings, champagne and strawberry cheesecake, which was to die for, a cheese board and finally coffee and chocs. We also had magicians, roulette and black jack tables, which were all an absolute success (we made sure we had a prize for the winner), the string quartet (fab) and then a DJ (a guy called Tim who was brilliant). They all really made the day. We were so pleased we stayed in the house, it was lovely to walk down those stairs, although very nervewracking at the time. The lounge was also really useful as some of the older members of the family wanted to relax and get away from the music so they had large sofas and chairs to relax in. Vince the house manager and his staff were marvellous, they couldn't do enough for us and worked so hard and even in the early hours the next morning when there were a

few straglers, he asked if Darren and I wanted that HUGE bath filled. I must admit by then we just wanted to go to bed and zonk out. The bed in the bridal suite was gorgeous and the room is just incredible. The next morning all 14 of us had breakfast in the cottage which was very welcome and then 30 friends and family all came back to the house for another party. I'd made two huge vats of chilli and one of curry the day before the wedding and bought loads of wine and nibbles so all the hangover cures were there. The sun was out, everyone was in the garden and lounge and it was just idyllic. The party finished at 8.00 that evening! There were a couple of problems with the office staff; the incorrect table plan had been given to Vince but fortunately he had the foresight to check with me on the morning when we arrived so it was OK but potentially could have been very embarrassing (there was no excuse for this as I'd emailed the changes and had also taken them in on the Wednesday -this may be been down to the fact that the person looking after us had gone on holiday, said nothing to us and perhaps didn't pass the correct information on to her colleague). There has also been a slight error with the refund amount (wrong wine quoted) but I'm letting my husband sort that out!! So apart from those couple of hiccups the day was gorgeous, happy, fun, memorable and I wouldn't have changed a thing. Best of luck to everyone that gets married at Parklands, it certainly is a venue and a half.
  • choc29choc29 Posts: 7
    im from Chelmsford Essex and getting married, 12th april, 08, at Channels Golf Club
  • michnaukmichnauk Posts: 211
    Congratulations Jools63, your day sounded lovely and now i cant wait for mine there on 8th feb next year.

we went there yesterday to have another look around and got very excited, and nervous!!

we have decided to stay in the house, the bridal pavillion was lovely but not as nice as the bridal suite in my opinion.

hearing about your day has certainly put my mind at rest as it sounds perfect, and now i will be counting down the next 115 days even more eagerly!!!

have you posted any photos yet on the Newly wed board? id love to see them

xxx
  • KatW77KatW77 Posts: 8
    Not sure if this venue's been discussed earlier, but a friend of mine got married at The Fennes in Braintree last year and that was really lovely....