Choosing a Date

Hello ladies,

I'm new to the forum but have been reading up the last few weeks.

Just wondering how you set a date?? We know we would like 2014 but apart from narrowing down to a few months we have no idea how to choose :S

Any advice?

Nic

• We chose our date based on the availabilty of our venue and preferred caterer within the 'summer' period. This is one way to decide although you may have a lot of choice for a 2014 wedding. Otherwise, you could decide where you want to go on honeymoon and then figure out the best time of year to visit that destination?
  • jot1982jot1982 Posts: 128
    We chose the month we met image
  • I chose the Bank holidays because I wanted to maximise the amount of family who could travel to us for the wedding, so it narrowed it down to either April or August...

I then decided for April, because its spring and its a 4 day weekend so people can make the most of the trip up here to see us! Plus its easter so the church will be decorated for the service on easter sunday and save me some pennies!
  • We wanted to the wedding either on or closet Saturday to our anniversary date which was Feb 14th, but falls on a Thursday and we didn't want a weekday wedding, So deicded on February 16th, which also happens to be the date we got engaged image
  • LouLa-BelleLouLa-Belle Posts: 196
    Our first date was on 18th Jan and we say Happy Anniversary every month so I chose the only 18th on a Sat - May 18th 2013

Other than that it was my birthday June 22nd but I don't know if I could cope with thatimage

Lou x
  • tinainwidtinainwid Posts: 277
    We choose the month we met, we wanted the date too but it didnt fall on a saturday so instead on the 2nd (date we met) we choose the 20th because it had a two in it..
  • Were the same as Clare_Jeffery and chose our anniversary which is the 2nd of feb and it so happened to land on a sat next year so we will have been together 9 years exactly on the day image
  • CarmenJCarmenJ Posts: 57
    We chose ours depending on price as we were completely flexible with our dates and we were more focused on keeping it in budget.

Think about the type of photos you want? Do you not care so much or would you want a summery background or snow and wintery decor?

What about your pricing? It's a lot cheaper to get married in the week but it's easier for everyone to make it if you have it on a weekend.

Also! Honeymoon! Where do you wanna go and what's the weather like there? We're getting married in May and that ruled some places out as it is monsoon/hurricane season!
  • Hi

We knew we wanted a warm wedding day but not too pricey and decided on may due to our venue classed June onwards as high season then we thought be good to have it on a bank holiday weekend so everyone got the extra day off and the last one in may is followed by school hols n that meant a costly honeymoon so we choose 4 may 2013 image
  • xriax1xriax1 Posts: 282
    Hello

We choose purely due to cost and having a bank hol at off peak price, we knew we wanted spring time so were looking at May but our venue's 'peak season' is from April. We then found out Easter was early next year so have gone for good friday meaning everybody is off work and have a long weekend to drag it out image . Also ment we saved £2200 on the cost of the venue! image
  • tripqueentripqueen Posts: 222
    We chose ours purely on the fact we didn't want to wait over a year, we got engaged in January so decided to get married the following Winter. I love Winter weddings, we thought January was a bad month as people are usually recovering financially from Christmas so decided on a Friday in February (and it was cheaper) so we went for Feb 1st, it will be 01/02/13....easy for H2B to remember too!! image

The other reason we've booked winter is to take the weather element out altogether, its bound to be a bit miserable (unless we get very lucky) so now we don't need to worry about it as our venue is all indoors. If we were getting married in Summer I'd be constantly worrying what the weather is going to do seeing as British summers are so variable.

Spring weddings are very popular at the moment as the costs are usually cheaper than summer and you can still have lovely days (well except this week!!), I think summer weddings are over-rated!!
  • we decided to have our wedding in 2014 as we knew we had to save money to be able to afford a nice wedding. image on looking into it further we'll have been together 10 years in 2014 so then decided to tie it in to a memorable date, so either

28/5/14 (if abroad, as its a week day) as this is the date we met or the

31/5/12 being the date of our first date (if in uk, as its weekend).

hope this gives you some ideas image
  • MrsTyson2BMrsTyson2B Posts: 133
    Groovygal202 - date twin! We picked ours due to the bank holiday! I have family travelling from quite a few places so thought it would be nice for everyone to have a recovery day. We also wanted a warmish day and may has better weather than July / August the past few years image xxx
  • Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for all your ideas!

Ok so taking on board all you said we are looking probably May, due to costs we will probably be looking at a Sunday wedding, with May having the bank hols this would be a win-win.

We haven't really thought about honeymoon yet, we are hoping to buy a house this year so I guess I shouldn't be too greedy image

Nic

• LB292013LB292013 Posts: 271
    The date we met falls on a saturday 2013, so on the day we get married we would have been together 6 years. It also saves h2b trying to remember two aniversarys!!lol image
  • mhaslbmhaslb Posts: 48
    Our dates were decided by the time of year my husband could have time off work. Very early May or mid September was the choice we ended up with. Then from those we chose May, I can't remember why now. image
  • mandy503mandy503 Posts: 2,066
    We choose ours because I've always dreamt of a winter wedding, but as we both work in retail, December is pretty much out. So that left us with either November, or January.

We got engaged 25 November 2011 so we decided to marry on Tuesday 20th November 2012 in Cornwall, then have the reception with all our family and friends back home in Suffolk on Saturday 24th as thats the closest we could get to our engagement date!! We then having our honeymoon at the beggining of January so we can miss out on that most depressing time after Christmas!!! image

Plus I'm LOVING the fact we'll have been engaged less than a year!!!!! (never thught we'd be able to do it in less than 2 years!!)
  • nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    our 4th anniversary of getting together

if you have a specific venue in mind talk to them first as if it's in the summer it may already be getting booked
  • nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    some things may be more expensive on a sunday.... just a thought. registrar is
  • JaneK2011JaneK2011 Posts: 516
    We wanted a warm wedding but outside of the school holidays so that our European honeymoon was cheaper. I also wanted to sit some exams in May so needed a few months after that to finish the wedding plans. Early September is often lovely and warm as well as being statistically drier than even August. A Friday appealed as it was cheaper than a Saturday, suppliers don't get booked up so early and hardly anyone has work the next day. So September 9th it was.
  • MRMRS2014MRMRS2014 Posts: 1,279
    We are hoping for 9th august 2014 which will be our 5year anniversary, but havnt booked anything yet so hopefully we can have the date we want x
  • Mrs M 2012Mrs M 2012 Posts: 408
    We orginally picked the date 8th Sept 2012, because we met on the 5th Sept and its my grandfathers birthday on the 8th Sept, but he sadly past away a good few years ago. i thought it would be a nice touch to have it on his birthday but unfortunately the reception venue was booked that weekend so vwe've had to book the weekend after.
  • MrsA-2013MrsA-2013 Posts: 555
    We initially wanted a September wedding; slightly cheaper than July & August at our venue, and we wanted a Saturday as the OH's family live up north so they could travel down. However, we changed to the Sunday of the August bank holiday as it was much cheaper and means everyone gets the extra day off image
  • jarkmessjarkmess Posts: 751
    We just picked a random month, it was like ip-dip-do image

We were going to get married a year after we got engaged (May)but didn't think we'd have the money but 2 years seemed too far away for my liking. We are now getting married this September so it's kind of halfway.
  • weve chose a date that i know my kids can attend as they live with their dad so we picked october 2013
  • GattinaRosaGattinaRosa Posts: 822
    Our date decision was based on a number of factors:

1) We wanted to get married in the Summer - partly because we wanted to have a lot of activities outside and secondly, becuase H2Bs family will be travelling from Italy, so it'd be nice for them to come over in the Summer.

2) Weekday wedding - we were going to have 100 people and knew the venues we were looking at were going to be out of budget. So, we decided on having a weekday wedding to keep the costs down.

3) Summer Holidays - 2 of our closest friends and my Aunt are teachers, so we knew we had to have a date in the summer holidays. Especially as we were having a weekday wedding.

We initially decided on a Thursday at the end of July - but we found out that was the anniversary of the death of a close family friend's Mum. So, we didn't want to choose that date.

So, we settled on August 1st 2013.
  • were getting married a year to the day that we got engaged. this was totally by accident tho as we originally wanted to get married in August but my h2b is in navy and will be away all summer and only gets back mid september so we looked at dates roughly 2 weeks after he got back and we ended up with october 5th image
  • hairy_fairy87hairy_fairy87 Posts: 342
    We always go Weymouth in June and the weather is always lovely.

We get married on the same date as my nana died. H2B picked the date without knowing. I asked my mum if she wanted me to change it but she was very happy.
  • We based our date purely on budget. We decided on a budget which would give us the wedding we wanted, then we worked out how long it would take for us to save that amount of money.
  • MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride
    I really wanted to get married in July. My parents did and it is also my brother's birthday.

We got engaged in Sept 2010, I didn't want to get married in July 2012 because of the Olympics so we settled on July 2011.

Add to that both our mums are teachers so it had to be in the summer holidays.

In the end due to venue avaliability we went for Friday 22nd July 2011.