Getting married on a Friday?

Has anyone done this/ planning to do this? Or been to a wedding on a Friday? We are half thinking of it to help keep venue hire costs down but wanted to hear how well it worked out for others first. Thanks.

• My sisters wedding was on a friday and it was brilliant, no different to any other day for a wedding in my opinion! People won't mind if it's a friday but I would say send out save the dates about a year before so people can actually get the date off work
  • Mrs BoundsMrs Bounds Posts: 1,311
    I'm getting married on a Friday in December xx
  • MrsBeau2BMrsBeau2B Posts: 1,513
    I am getting married on a Friday, and have been to a couple of Friday weddings and a Thursday wedding before.

We decided to go for a Friday as, depending on which package we went for, it was either 2.5k, or 8.5k cheaper! - our budget is already pretty big and this was a great way to rein it in a little bit.

It wasnt an issue for us, as we know that our friends and family will all make the effort to come even if they have to take a day off. We wouldnt hesitate to do it for our friends and family either.

The atmosphere on a weekday wedding is no different to a weekend one from my experience - a few of our friends have commented how nice it would be to have the weekend to recover!We may also do something like a small BBQ at home on the Sat to keep the celebrations going
  • RJB299569RJB299569 Posts: 52
    We are getting married on a Friday. I think that as long as you give people plenty of notice they won't mind at all. The cost of venue hire on a Saturday was out of our budget for the places we liked.

• welshgracewelshgrace Posts: 1,224
    I'm getting married on a Friday. I've had no problems with people getting time off work (I'm a teacher and will be on summer holidays). It just means that everyone gets a nice long weekend!
  • Samantha5Samantha5 Posts: 47
    We're about to book ours for a friday. It makes no difference at our venue if it's a fri,sat or sun, but our 5th anniversary will be on the friday so that's why we're having it on a friday.

As long as the save the date cards are sent out in plently of time so guests can book the day off then it's no problem - & no-one will have to book the next day off if they wanna drink!

No-one notices the difference between a friday and saturday one, except taking a day off which isn't necessarily a bad thing because then they have 3 day weekend!
  • That all sounds very positive, thanks for the advice all!
  • LittleRed_10LittleRed_10 Posts: 1,453
    The only days I wouldnt pick are ones where people have to go to work the next day as everyone will bugger off at about 10pm (which is what happened on the Sunday wedding I went to recently). Friday would be fine, just make sure everyone knows well in advance to book the day off
  • kye83kye83 Posts: 582
    Oh littlered-10 you have made me panic. I'm having a Sunday wedding and just about to spend a small fortune (impo) on a band. Hope my guests don't bugger off!! To be fair I know a lot are staying but it would be nice not to have a mass exodus!

BTW - we booked a Sunday as when I was a child I thought Sunday was wedding day as that was when you went to church and so I've just always wanted a Sunday.

I've been to a thursday wedding and know of people who have Fridays and its not normally an issue. X
  • A Friday is fine as nobody has work the next day! We have been to a Wednesday wedding, and a Sunday wedding, and hardly anybody drank and everybody left at about 10ish because they had work the next day! So Friday will be fine, just make sure you give people plenty of notice, and don't be upset if there are a couple of people who can't come till the evening, as not everybody is allowed time off - I know I am not allowed to take holiday every 3rd month.
  • thirdthingthirdthing Posts: 582
    We booked Friday. Our wedding is very small and so the guests are close family and firends who would take the day off without hesitation.

We also thought it would add to a 'long weekend' feel!

Our evening party is going to be on a Saturday a few weeks later as is our blessing.

It didn't save us much money at all, going for a Friday to be honest.

We are having a low budget wedding anyway, but the Register office fees were the same, cafe hire for the tea party afterwards the same 7 days a week and the bunting hire the same.

When we were thinking of a smarter venue at one point, we asked about Fridays being cheaper and they laughed and said that any day of the week between march and October was full whack - mid week in winter may give a ten percent discount.

So I am not sure the Friday wedding is the big saving it used to be - although I can see that a previous poster saved a lot!

• wifey83wifey83 Posts: 151
    We're getting married on a Friday!! We let people know in plenty of time to book the day off and have not had anyone let us down!! image Its nice as ppl are travelling down and spending the whole weekend so we get plenty of time to see everyone!! image
  • wifey83wifey83 Posts: 151
    We're getting married on a Friday!! We let people know in plenty of time to book the day off and have not had anyone let us down!! image Its nice as ppl are travelling down and spending the whole weekend so we get plenty of time to see everyone!! image
  • glitter2707glitter2707 Posts: 350
    Quoted:
    We booked Friday. Our wedding is very small and so the guests are close family and firends who would take the day off without hesitation.

We also thought it would add to a 'long weekend' feel!

Our evening party is going to be on a Saturday a few weeks later as is our blessing.

It didn't save us much money at all, going for a Friday to be honest.

We are having a low budget wedding anyway, but the Register office fees were the same, cafe hire for the tea party afterwards the same 7 days a week and the bunting hire the same.

When we were thinking of a smarter venue at one point, we asked about Fridays being cheaper and they laughed and said that any day of the week between march and October was full whack - mid week in winter may give a ten percent discount.

So I am not sure the Friday wedding is the big saving it used to be - although I can see that a previous poster saved a lot!

Yes, having a Friday wouldn't have saved us any money at all as we are getting married in July! Our venue only do a discount for Sundays - Thursdays in April - Oct.

If it does save you money though, I'd go for it!
  • MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

We got married on a Friday. It wasn't really a cost thing for us (tho the venue was cheaper) it was more because we didn't want a long engagement. I wasn't prepared to wait for over a year to get married just to have a Saturday.

Only one guest had a problem getting time off and she was a teacher (even though it was the last day of term)

It didn't feel any different to the other weddings I have been to either.

• n_e_rosen_e_rose Posts: 1,562

We were invited to a wedding on a friday, but as i'm a teacher and she wasn't close family i wasn't allowed the day off. When we said that h2b would come and i will join in the evening the bride became a right b*tch to us, and uninvited us and since then has been incredibly horrible to us and it's been a year!

Oh and she kept the present her whole family were/ still are annoyed at how she treated us.

• kazalakazala Posts: 361

Im getting married on a Friday. In Cyprus though so it doesnt really matter coz everydays a Saturday on holiday image People are still asking us why we chose a Friday though!!!

• BUggabooBUggaboo Posts: 398

"A Friday is fine as nobody has work the next day!"

I wish I lived in your world! I know very few people who work normal monday - friday 9-5pm jobs! No matter what day you book it there will always be someone working at some point but if you matter to them, they'll be there.

Our wedding is a Friday, all mine and H2B's immediate family work weekend but they'll just have to book a day off.

• I'm a traditionalist and getting married on a Saturday, however I have been to loads of Friday weddings and they are no different to a Saturday wedding, not quite sure why we were both so set on having a Saturday! You just need to make sure people know it's a Friday - I know that sounds silly, but we almost got caught once because we didn't read the date properly, the day of the week wasn't stated and we just assumed it was the Saturday of that week.  I struggled to book the time off last minute, thankfully I managed it!!  So maybe spell it out for people like me!!!!

• TashyGTashyG Posts: 5

We want a Friday, seems to save a bit of money which always helpsimage Only thing is my best friend is a teacher and some schools are really strict on teachers having time off out of the holidays

• aud1980aud1980 Posts: 29

hi hun i would talk to your friend im sure she will do what she can,we are having a friday due to small numbers but we have had some family members complaining that they cannot let there kids have day off from school,i do understand but i have to do what is right for me and my h2b,good luck hun

• Jennytay08Jennytay08 Posts: 693
    Depending on where you are teachers are entitled to 5 days a year paid leave for weddings as when someone picks there wedding that is out of our control. That's part of the Scottish teachers agreement though so not sure about England or elsewhere! Strangely enough I have had to fight to have a days unpaid leave for prep before my own wedding!
  • DrMrs2BDrMrs2B Posts: 52

I'm hoping to get married on a Friday. Went to a Friday one recently and the 'start of the weekend' feel was really nice!

• My h2b is a teacher so we knew that we'd have to go for the school holidays if we wanted a honeymoon. Only catch is that this meant we had to take a Friday date as clearly we weren't the only ones with this plan!

It has been a problem with some of our guests, many of whom are teachers, as the holiday dates aren't necessarily the same between schools. A lot of the schools have.said a blanket 'no' to time off other than for your own wedding. Maybe find out how strict your friend's school is. One other thing is that our wedding is local, max 30 mins from where our guests work so, even if some of the teachers can't make the ceremony, they'll be there in time for dinner.

Good luck!
  • Doh, just realised the new forum takes you to the end of the thread...not the beginning! Was replying as if TashyG's was the original post...oh dear...!
  • heliganedenheliganeden Posts: 1,848
    Jennytay that's not the case in England, I've hot friends who are teachers and they can't book days off at all, only take the set holidays
  • pinklady1203pinklady1203 Posts: 241

We're getting married on a Friday, and I think its a fab day because as you said things are normally cheaper venue wise and people such as photographers aren't usually as busy as they might be on a Saturday.

Like has been said before, as long as you give people enough notice, there shouldn't be any kind of problem. Its only one day to take off work, and people can recover on the Saturday!

Good luck with all your planning xx