Ordering dress from abroad?????

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and just can't stop about my big day (swwoooooooooooon).

However, I am an asian bride (Bengali/indian & muslim) and have totalled the costs for my wedding and it has come to a staggering £35k?????????? :O

So............................I'm wondering if any of you lovely brides have ordered from abroad online stores (i.e. deli, mumbai, india etc.) as it is sooooooo much cheaper.

I'm thinking to get invitations and thank you cards and stuff like wedding favours from their to cut the cost as much as possible without breaking the bank.

what do you think guys???

xx

• I ordered a dress (mother of the bride) from a company I found on a website called alibaba.com.

The company showed a lot of outfits, all ripped copies of designs from some of the better European and USA designers.

All looked fantastic and the prices were really good.

So, what went wrong? 1st of all, when it came into the country I had to pay Import duty and VAT. Then when it was delivered it was screwed up as small as possible into a jiffy bag to save on post costs.

Then when it was finally steamed to show it in all its true glory it was absolutely horrific. The material was a sort of crepe which clicked like tissue paper, the colour wsn't what I asked for and the lining was longer than the outer material therefor everything hung badly. The seams were out of alignment too.

It went into the bin. I didn't even have the heart to take it to a charity shop it was so bad.

Whether you'd suffer the same sort of thing ordering other items from abroad I really couldn't say, but you have to factor in the price of delivery costs, import duty and VAT. Yoy may find there;s not much difference.

• Mrs AyseMrs Ayse Posts: 561

Congrats!  I know about the costs of big weddings and it so easy to go to the £35k mark.

I have to say that a lot of my friends have gone to Istanbul, Turkey and have got their invitations, favours, wedding dress and other traditional dresses for a lot less.  For instance, wedding dress and other traditional dress for £1000 - that's a bargain!

They also make shoes to fit your foot only with the same material of the dress - amazing!  They can do all that in 10 days image worth a try I reckon!

xx