Forum home Getting started

civil ceremony or church - seem the same price!

Hi everyone!

We got engaged just over 2 weeks ago and want a spring 2014 wedding - looking at very end of March/beginning of April.

We are trying to save where we can and have seen somewhere gorgeous where we could do the ceremony and reception. We decided to give a church ceremony a miss in order to keep costs down but when I look at civil ceremonies (that are not registry offices) it is pretty much the same cost!

The venue want £250 for the ceremony fee and then the council webiste says it is £4-500 for a registrar plaus £70 for giving notice. 

So thats approx £800. And the church is at least £500. Is this right?! Everything I read says civil ceremonies are cheaper - does not seem like it!

• Spam88Spam88 Posts: 1,001

I didn't look at churches so I have no idea how much they cost, but I guess the costs can really vary depending on where you are, what church etc.  Like those registrar fees are about double what my local registrars charge.

• Really?! I looked on the Bucks council website and that's what it said - £400 approx. then the venue says £250 to have the ceremony there. How can it be so much more?!

• nenjennenjen Posts: 1,524

Our church cost £420 for everything - hire of the church, heating (you have to pay extra before May!), organist and bell ringer. It does seem to be cheaper to have a church wedding. Fees are set by the church of England so should be pretty standard all over the country. We got married in Wales so may have been slightly different x 

• FranitaFranita Posts: 487

I'm not being funny but perhaps you should let religion (or lack of it) make the decision for you - not price?!  

• Our venue waive the cost of the room hire for the ceremony if you spend the minimum amout with them for the recepton etc.

Our registrar charges are 365 for 2 of them to come out to the venue. It does seem a fair bit when you consider theyre relatively cheap. But we wouldn't have had a church ceremony anyway. Also doing it all in one place may save on costs if there is going to be no transport costs etc.

I know they're not all like it but my Sister's church was fantastically fussy with them on their wedding day... it chucked it down with rain, and they wouldnt let them have pics taken in the church as they had to 'close up' so they got no immmediate post wedding pictures.

I think as Franita says, its better to decide  on a church / civil ceremony based on beliefs rather than cost.

• PepperPotPepperPot Posts: 115

I completely agree with Franita, I don't really think people should get married in church if they are not religious, money shouldn't be the influencing factor in your decision. Sorry, just my opinion. 

I am having a civil ceremony in a country manor hotel and the hire of the room is £150. The registrar costs £350 and we paid £40 to secure our date and time as we booked more than 12 months in advance. So £540 in total + giving notice fees. We are in Worcestershire/West Mids x

• Gulp! Our room hire is £450!!!!

• Spam88Spam88 Posts: 1,001

I say get married wherever the heck you want.  C of E churches are state churches, and you have every right to get married there irrespective of your beliefs. 

Our room hire was around the £225 mark I think, and registrar is £250 (It's a thursday, on a Saturday it was £350, and more on a sunday I think).

• LollybearLollybear Posts: 548

We are having a Church Wedding but not in our Church that we attend each week so that costs a little more but I just wanted to add. . . Our VIcar is always happy for people who dont usually attend Church to get married there, as far as he is concerned he is a vicar for everyone in the Parish (even if they are non religious and don't really want him!). He also said that getting people through the door to hear a sermon can make huge changes in peoples lives and if a wedding is the way to get them in he is happy for that. 

I would say do whatever makes you happy. My sister is getting married in a registry office costing no more than £100 and our Church is costing £540. (including the organist) 

• FranitaFranita Posts: 487

I never said that people shouldn't marry in a church if they don't believe in God (although I do find it odd that people would make religious vows if they don't believe as to me it would fundamentally undermine what we were saying).  Hence the reason we chose to have a civil ceremony and a church ceremony was never ever on the cards.

What I said was that I don't think that cost should be the deciding factor. The OP said she decided to "give the church ceremony a miss to keep costs down" - I personally don't think that is the right reason to decide between one or the other!

• thanks for the posts and comments everyone - all decided on what we are doing now - not going to write it in case i get struck down! Happy wedding days everyone! x