Best Woman duties

Hi All,

I have recently joined the site. I am thinking of having a best woman at my wedding. Has anyone had experience of this and what their duties would be.

many thanks,

love plus one.

• Karen6Karen6 Posts: 56

Hi,

I was a 'best woman' a few years ago for my friend.  We have been very close friends for many years, and he asked me if I would be his best man (or best woman I guess - me being female) at his wedding.

I was a bit terrified -as you never expect, as a woman, to ever have to perform this role! But I was also delighted and honored to be asked to do such a special role on his special day.

The role I performed was pretty much the same as that of a best man.

I talked to him during the wedding planning and preparations - providing a sounding board etc.

I helped plan the stag do (although they decided as they were getting married abroad that they would have a joint stag and hen do -so I worked with the bridesmaids to organise this).

On the day I helped him get ready in the morning.  I went to the venue a little early to make sure everything was set up.

During the ceremony I looked after the rings etc.

I helped find the family members for the photos etc, and talked to all the guests - helping people out with directions etc/finding their way about the venue etc as required.

I gave a speech at the evening reception, and read the telegrams.  I also prepared as a surprise some 'this is your life' photo books and nice stories about the bride and groom to put on each table.

At the end of the evening, I made sure the band were paid etc, and helped make sure everything was cleared up / no cameras etc left behind, and that the guests all made it into taxis / that noone was stranded etc.

It was a real honor and a fantastic day.

If the grooms best friend is a woman, or if he is very close to his sister etc - then I would heartily recommend breaking with tradition and having a best woman rather than picking someone they are less close to in order to have a man do this role just to be traditional.

• My hubby had a bestwomen at our wedding, she did exactly the same as best man would do!

• Thanks ladies for your suggestions. I have decided to go ahead and have a best woman.

loveplus one.

• Mandy57Mandy57 Posts: 2
    Karen6 wrote (see post):

Hi,

I was a 'best woman' a few years ago for my friend.  We have been very close friends for many years, and he asked me if I would be his best man (or best woman I guess - me being female) at his wedding.

I was a bit terrified -as you never expect, as a woman, to ever have to perform this role! But I was also delighted and honored to be asked to do such a special role on his special day.

The role I performed was pretty much the same as that of a best man.

I talked to him during the wedding planning and preparations - providing a sounding board etc.

I helped plan the stag do (although they decided as they were getting married abroad that they would have a joint stag and hen do -so I worked with the bridesmaids to organise this).

On the day I helped him get ready in the morning.  I went to the venue a little early to make sure everything was set up.

During the ceremony I looked after the rings etc.

I helped find the family members for the photos etc, and talked to all the guests - helping people out with directions etc/finding their way about the venue etc as required.

I gave a speech at the evening reception, and read the telegrams.  I also prepared as a surprise some 'this is your life' photo books and nice stories about the bride and groom to put on each table.

At the end of the evening, I made sure the band were paid etc, and helped make sure everything was cleared up / no cameras etc left behind, and that the guests all made it into taxis / that noone was stranded etc.

It was a real honor and a fantastic day.

If the grooms best friend is a woman, or if he is very close to his sister etc - then I would heartily recommend breaking with tradition and having a best woman rather than picking someone they are less close to in order to have a man do this role just to be traditional.

• Mandy57Mandy57 Posts: 2

My cousin has asked me to be his best woman! We're more like siblings so I'm thrilled!! There are some great tips here. 

• BongekaBongeka Posts: 1

My Friend has asked me to be her best lady, we've been friends for so long, I'm so thrilled. Please advise me of what and what not and what are the duties and the difference between maid of honour, best lady, and matron of honour. the wedding will take place in December.

• Barbie3Barbie3 Posts: 340

As its not a traditional roll u really need 2 ask ur friend what she's expecting of u