Wedding Insurance Recommendations Please

Hi,

We're getting married on 9th May 2015 and have already booked registrar, venue, photographer, hair and make-up, buying dress end of the month and have booked the band. Suddenly thought that we haven't got any wedding insurance yet though (which is probably one of the first things we should have done really)

There's so many companies out there I was really looking for some recommendations - or ones to avoid - before spending money on it.

• Wedding insurance was the first thing we invested in. My friends recommended Debenhams - you get a free £10 gift voucher with them - so we went for it.  Fingers crossed that we never have to use it!  

• PoppinsPoppins Posts: 3,146

We've gone with debenhams too but you might want to check policies as some won't insure you for the things you've already booked x 

• We're also with debenhams - seemed to cover everything we were after image

• K2bHolK2bHol Posts: 83

thank you everyone - looks like debenhams is a clear winner!  Thanks Poppins, will double check policies  image 

• We went with John Lewis. 

• YAY date twin image insurance was the first thing i did, but then i work in the insurance industry so I'm a tad cautious lol. I chose the one out of the wedding mags...E&L it was good cover and cheap. 

All we need to do now is book cake and w2b's outfit and bridesmaid dresses. Everything else pretty much sorted image

lauren x

• eek, we havent gto insurance and get married in 13 weeks.

what do we need insurance for? sorry if i sound a bit thick, just not something that i'd even thought about. x

• With the John Lewis one it was all done online by accessing their website. I guess its the same with others. 

• SadSack83SadSack83 Posts: 1,700

We did lots of research and chose Ecclesiastical. 

Not the cheapest but the most comprehensive and suited to our needs at the time. 

Double check whichever one you purchase covers things already booked - not all do.

• VicNVicN Posts: 1,352
    MrsGtoBe14 wrote (see)

eek, we havent gto insurance and get married in 13 weeks.

what do we need insurance for? sorry if i sound a bit thick, just not something that i'd even thought about. x

In case your venue goes bust, one of you or someone in your close family becomes ill so you have to postpone, one of your wedding suppliers lets you down... it's something you hope to never use but I think you need to think about it. A friend of a friend was in a car crash 4 weeks before her wedding and ended up having to have surgery on a badly broken leg and kept in traction. They managed to postpone their wedding for a few months later and their wedding insurance paid for it. 

Someone else I know had to find a new wedding venue 5 weeks before the wedding as her venue went bust. She ended up in York instead of Leeds but the insurance paid. It's definitely something I would think about.

We're with debenhams too. image

• Angie jAngie j Posts: 448

I think we should of got insurance but stupidly I thought ours was a pretty small wedding on a small budget & it wasnt really worth it. Now at just over 13 weeks to go we have found out our Hotel has gone into administration so am on tender hooks  until the big day that it all goes ahead as planned.

Defo get inurance. 

Out of interest how much have you all paid? 

• Ours was £92 (John lewis)

• VicNVicN Posts: 1,352

I think it was around £70. We didn't go for the rock-bottom cover; think it was the middle-priced one.