Can you sign the reqister before the cermony?

OH and I are doing a 'first look' where we will see each other all dolled up before the ceremony starts, and we were wondering if its possible to sign the register BEFORE the ceremony to keep the actual ceremony short and sweet??

• HydrogirlHydrogirl Posts: 809

I'm pretty sure the ceremony is part of the wedding, I think u need to go through it before you sing the register as you need to make promises and know the rules of marriage etc before you sign up

• herstoryherstory Posts: 1,268

I don't think so, to be honest signing the register takes a few minutes, the time consuming bit is posing for photo's with the fake register especially if you want photos that included your witnesses.

Remember you sign the register after your vows and the witnesses need to be present. Plus it is a bit of a logistical nightmare as the registrar turns up I guess about 40 minutes before the ceremony, talks to the groom, the photographer and videographer, different registers apply varying rule on photo's and videos but the pro's are used to working with them. Then 15 minutes before the ceremony they talk to you either on your own or in my case with my dad, I am not sure if any other person giving you away would be allowed to b be in on the interview, after all it is the last chance before walking up the aisle to change your mind, although in all seriousness it is the last chance the registrar has to check it is an unforced, above board marriage.

Minus readings and picking the shortest and simplest vow options I bet it could all be done and dusted in 10 minutes flat! Ours was an enhanced ceremony, we had two readngs still took less than 30 minutes.