Forum home Getting started

How soon did you set the date?

We've only been engaged a week. We're not thinking of waitng years until we get married, but neither will it be in the next few months!

I get the impression that h2b thinks that weddings can be planned in a month, so we didn't really discuss actual dates with all the excitement of proposal/ring shopping.  But I'm thinking that if we want to do it by next spring, we should be thinking about dates. 

How long after the proposal did you set the date?

• VictoriaoVictoriao Posts: 1,536

Proposal July 17th 2013, Date was set a month later, wedding was 13th sept 2014. We were fortunate in that we had a large amount of savings already set aside. Therefore we could afford to do the wedding in that time. However it really is a matter for you, I've seen people do it in 6 weeks and 4 years. It's whatever suits you, your h2b and your budget!

• MascaraMascara Posts: 114

That's the other thing, we don't really need to save for the wedding - it's more to do with venue availability that I want a vague idea!

• VictoriaoVictoriao Posts: 1,536

When we booked we had the choice of every weekend in the month of September. 2 months later all dates had gone. It depends on how popular your venue is and availability of your venue/registry/church.

we were in the unusual position that the church wasn't availiable for the weekend we wanted but our venue was. As it happened it worked out well for us that we couldn't have the weekend we wanted (6th September) as that was great north run weekend in newcastle and the cost of hotel rooms was astronomical and would have meant people couldn't have afforded to join us! So it all worked out well in the end

• VicNVicN Posts: 1,352

We got engaged on Christmas Day 2012 and set the date on 26th January 2013. (I remember as it was exactly 18 months til the wedding when we booked). We got married on 26th July 2014. We originally wanted the first weekend in August, but it had already gone. It depends on how popular your chosen venue is! 

• eljayeljay Posts: 11

We got engaged July 2014 and will be booking our venue in the next few months for our 2017 wedding, we need all the time to be able to save!

• MrsF14MrsF14 Posts: 131

We got engaged in October 2013 and were going to wait a while before setting a date due to moving house and crazy work schedules however after the xmas and new year holidays we decided to get a date book so in march 2014 we booked for november 2014.  i didn't find it too stressfull organising it all (and I really do mean it all as husband just thought it all organised itself) and everything came together fine.  We were lucky that we didn't need to save and that out families both contributed so we actually ended up having a much bigger budget than we originally planned. 

• CD0412CD0412 Posts: 144

Engaged on 08.09.13, set the date in February 2014 and getting married THIS August (2015)!

Depends on availability on venues and suppliers and don't forget that wedding dresses can take anywhere from 4/5 months - 9 months to arrive once you've ordered it image

I'd set it asap as people have already booked stuff for next year and for popular dates (like mine), we were booking all the big, main bits from Feb-July 2014 and even then, we struggled with a few things as they were already booked so pick pretty soon if I were you!! x

• Lola4Lola4 Posts: 129

2 months (gave enough time to look at various venues).image

• Engaged in 2008 set date in 2014 lol

• Amanda12Amanda12 Posts: 127

Engaged 2000, set date 2014. No need to rushimage

Seriously-why delay it? if you are lucky enough to not have to save I'd just go ahead with looking at venues, think about what time of year you want then just book it.

1year ahead should be enough time to comfortably plan everything.

• MascaraMascara Posts: 114

Thanks everyone, we had a brief chat today about timings for some other things (moving house) and have agreed on March 2016 - but no exact date yet. I think it's the time of year that we shouldn't have too many problems finding a venue, so I'll start poking him to choose an exact date in a few months! I'd like around a year to plan as we both have long-distance families and mine is huge. 

• MrsMannionMrsMannion Posts: 1,342 New bride

hiya I got engaged January 14 then by the August 14 we picked the date for 21st June 16 x

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

We got engaged Oct 2013 and decided to get married Oct 2015, I believe we booked the reception venue in Nov 2013 and church in Dec 2013. We have recently bought a house and are renovating it all so we knew we couldnt afford to get married in 2014 which is why we decided to wait until the year after.

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

We got engaged on 20th sept 2010 hubs asked me that night when I wanted to 'do the deed'? I said July 2011 and it was booked in a few weeks.

• Jomc11Jomc11 Posts: 484

We set our date within a month of being engaged, we knew we'd prob only give it about 2 years.  

If you have a venue in mind go see it & book, the venue we chose didnt have a saturday in june/july 4 years away, its mental the way some venues book up

• MrsH12MrsH12 Posts: 534 New bride

We got engaged on 3rd Feb 2014 and venue was booked 2 months later for 12th August 2016 image 

• I got engaged Christmas day 2014, and was asked the next day when I was getting married!! How to I bring up to my h2b when to set a date for. We are looking at purchasing our own place in 2015, and so i'm thinking 2017 to be able to afford it all! or is that ambitious? Is it too early to send out will you be my bridesmaid cards??? I'm sooo confused! Help!!! xx