How did you ask your bridesmaids?

Hello ladies,

I've been engaged for just over a month and have started to look at venues etc, however I'm really struggling to decide on how to ask my "bridesmaids" to be my bridesmaids... searched Etsy, eBay, wedding websites etc and have seen the personalised boxes and jigsaws are quite popular but wondered if you had any good ideas?? 

Thinking of something that can be delivered to their houses to add to the surprise!

Would love to hear your stories

x

• I'm in the same position, so far my favourite are a box of personalised cookies, a dress shaped cookie with 'will you be my bridesmaid' in icing (we love food so this works well for us haha) 

but still open to other ideas so curious how people do it :)

• lubeslubes Posts: 1,555

i text mine. 

lol.

• Lol i just rang my sister and told her I was engaged so she best be ready to be my maid of honour. Sister in law id already told  before the engagement that shed be a bridesmaid so once I told her we were engaged I just made sure she knew I'd meant it when id said it months before. (Sorry for spelling issues my phone is awful on here, deletes things constantly). 

• What about flowers or a balloon? X

• CR1689CR1689 Posts: 378

I had a card made for mine. They had no idea so was lovely surprise for them! 

one loves pizza so was thinking about putting it in the pizza box, complete surprise then! Haha. How about giving them a bridesmaid sas. Within a card? Can be posted then. Or a balloon With the writing 'will you be my bridesmaid?' 

• BekhaGBekhaG Posts: 585 New bride

I got my friend a 'Bridesmaid' bag from Alphabet bags and a lovely 'will you be my BM?' card from Paperchase and asked her over afternoon tea (gave her the bag wrapped as a gift). She knew the job was always her's though without being asked :)

• Thanks all some lovely ideas! ive looked at gorgeous balloons from 3 bubblegum girls but they are £35 each and with 5 bridesmaids thats too expensive! Will look at some others and keep you posted!

I was thinking of buying them all a ticket to the wedding fair in Bluewater and include that in my card/box? 

x

• lubes wrote (see post):

i text mine. 

lol.

I sent mine a message on FB!  

• Mrs NeekMrs Neek Posts: 445 New bride

Hello ladies im a newbie to this site and im absolutely loving it!! I've been engaged exactly 3 weeks today 😆 and the way I plan to ask my bridesmaids is, I've ordered scented candles and on each candle is has there name and asks will you be my bridesmaid? With the exception of my maid of Honour.  I plan to have it delivered to each of there houses ☺☺☺.. I got the idea from pinterest  (which I'm obsessed with). 

I ordered it from here 

Www.personalisedweddinggifts.co.uk 

Happy planning 😀😀 xx

• Kitten2014Kitten2014 Posts: 1,489

I'm all for phoning and asking. Or as lubes and katherinesara did, text or FB message. I'm not quite sure when the mere act of asking had to become so involved (and expensive!) I think our variety in posts here proves you can do as much or little as you want.

Although the wedding faire tickets are s thoughtful gesture, I wouldn't do that. What if one of the girls already has plans (or has to work)? Those tickets can be pricey and obviously aren't returnable.

• I will have 4 bridesmaids (as long as they all say yes!)

1 had to send a message on Facebook to as she is currently out in Ghana

And the other 3 I will be seeing them face to face to ask them, all before Xmas hopefully, so then we can all get together fairly soon to meet. They are all big parts of my life but in different areas:

1 best friend since for 20 years, lives at opposite end of the country

1 best friend for 4 years

1 cousin

1 mum's best friend's daughter, who is like my little sister

• MrsE2016MrsE2016 Posts: 1,206 New bride

I asked my oldest sister when we went over for dinner - she's my maid of honour & her two daughters are also bridesmaids. She is 12 years older than me (and i'm nearly 30) so I wasn't sure she'd want to be a bridesmaid so I was over the moon that she accepted!  

My other sister lives in Australia so I skyped her - she was thrilled! 

I suppose my sisters & nieces always knew they'd be bridesmaids. After all they had been pestering us for ages about getting engaged!

I think its great the variety of things you can buy to help you ask your bridesmaids but I felt I didn't need any presents/cards to ask mine - it was a lovely moment without anything extra. 

Its when you see these sort of things that you realise how much the Wedding Industry is worth to retailers - you seem to be able to buy something for every step of your wedding planning! 

• None of my BM's knew each other, so I asked them all to come with me to try on wedding dresses at Vera Wang, we met for coffee before hand, and I gave them little cards telling them why I love them and asking them to be my bridesmaid. It was a lovely moment, and then we went to try on dresses, which gave them the chance to spend some time together and get to know each other wile I was changing. Perfect Day! One of my favourite things I've done so far with the wedding planning!

• check out not on the high street... I went for the little 'will you be my bridesmaid' wish bracelets which i sent to them all in a card as they are all over the place from nearby to scotland to australia lol! Bracelets were great as small enough to post cheap... Hardest thing was keeping quiet till they received them haha xx

• My boyfriend proposed to me on Tuesday night, and then told me that my best mate has been in on it for weeks and was with him when he collected the ring on Monday. After telling her how he'd done it, I sent her a message stating "you realise this means you have responsibilities now?". I made her cry. My next dilemma is whether I want anyone else alongside her!