First Steps/

Hello..

I am recently engaged and really don't know where to start the planning.

We have called wedding venues in the local area and have requested brochures.

Over the last few days we have discussed where we want our ceremony and we have decided on the church where both of our parents where married. This church has always been a soft spot for the both of us. Now we are a little stuck and don't really know where to go from here. We both live in the parish but haven't been to church in a very long time.

Should we just give the vicar a call? What will his initial questions be on the phone? This is all new to the both of us but we really want to get married in September 2017.

If anyone has any advise at all I would really appreciate it.

Kirsty xx

• Emma236Emma236 Posts: 215

Firstly , congratulations on your recent engagement!

I think it's lovely that you want to get married in the church where both sets of parents were married - I think they'll find it quite touching as well.  First thing to do would be to call the vicar, check availability and if he would be willing to marry you.  I can't comment on what he might ask you, I'm having a church wedding in Scotland so things might be a bit different up here but the minister only really wanted to know if either of us had been married before and we've had to meet him on three occasions for marriage advice sessions.  We haven't been asked to attend church but I know other couples who have been asked that.

Once you have a date and venue booked, next off would be to start researching suppliers you may want to use.  I found that good bands, photographers and florists were all being snapped up about 18 months in advance so you might want to look at that early on to avoid disappointment.

Hope you manage to get the church you want!

E x

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

If you live in the parish then it shouldn't be an issue to get married in that church as you have a connection. If you ring the vicar they will probably invite you down to meet with them.

My advice would be to set a budget for everything before you decide on a reception venue and to do a provisional guest list so you know how many guests you need to be paying for.

• Thank you. I may give the church a call today to get the ball rolling.

Fortunately I already have my photographer as my brother does it professionally for weddings.

Its such an exciting time starting to plan the wedding. Haven't taken a smile of my face since he asked the questions.

Thanks for the advice!

K x

• Emma236Emma236 Posts: 215
    Kirsty-13 wrote (see post):

Thank you. I may give the church a call today to get the ball rolling.

Fortunately I already have my photographer as my brother does it professionally for weddings.

Its such an exciting time starting to plan the wedding. Haven't taken a smile of my face since he asked the questions.

Thanks for the advice!

K x

That's good that you already have a photographer - always great if you know people who can help with your wedding as the costs for these things can soon mount so it's good to be able to cut some costs along the way.   I've used a friend to do my flowers, my work colleague's son will be my piper and my cousin's friend is making my cake (I wanted to do my own but all my friends/family convinced me that I perhaps don't want to be baking/stressing on the week of my wedding) and have saved myself over £700.

It is such an exciting time and I'm glad that your still living in your newly engaged "bubble".  I spent about two months with permanent cheek-ache given I couldn't stop smiling!

Let us know how your getting on with planning!

E x

• Hiya, 

Congrats on your engagement!  Deciding where you want to get married is half the battle so your making faster progress that we did!!

You may have already called the church today but as already said if you both have connections you should be fine. I was a wimp as I hadn't been to church in a while and emailed the priest... We quickly arranged a time to go see him.  To be honest it was at this meeting that most of the questions came, just the basics though: have you been married before? Why a church? Why this church?  We were asked to start attending church but I think that's a reasonable request. 

As for planning, collecting brochures is a great start. I'd also look at your guest list. When we started looking we assumed around 80 guests and therefore was costing all venues on this basis. However when we sat down it was 105 which changed things quite a bit... 

Let us know how you get on. 

C x