Forum home Getting started

Can I arrange a wedding in 9 months?! Hampshire brides?

hello ladies

i got engaged in November and initially we decided on May 2017 but in the last few days I've decided I just don't want to wait and wondered if I could do it this September instead ?! 

Ive made a list of venues to call on monday and it could be well they all turn around and say are you having a laugh!  Im trying to keep the venue to about the £5000 mark. 

Any thoughts? 

• Sam60Sam60 Posts: 249

You've got to give it ago! We booked 10 months in advance, and are only really sorting things now with 5 months to go, so it's possible....but ours is a fairly small wedding.

As for the budget, depending on numbers then I would say it won't be a problem. Our wedding will only be around £5k, and check put Katherinesaras thread...her wedding is being done on £1,000 and it looks amazing!

Let us know how you get on :-) xx

Ps...you might find it easier just to email them where you can find an email address. At least then if they are unavailable or hugely expensive you won't have ro end the call abruptly ;-) xx

• Thanks Sam for the words of encouragement :-) I don't want s massive do either, max 50 during the day and about 80 for the evening.  I'm away at the moment and sitting in a hotel room getting myself in a bit of a state when I'm seeing how far in advance most people get booked up! And all the things that I should have done by now according to various online planners!  So I appreciate your response xx

Look what they do on Don't tell the Bride - ok, it's not true, everyday life, but if they can do it in 3 weeks then you can do it in 10 months!

My fiance and I were only together 8 months when we got engaged, it made me laugh when I look at some of those planning things which says you have to do this and that 2 years before the wedding....we weren't even together then :-)

If you are still awake and dwelling on things, start sending emails now. As long as your H2B is up for it too, just find and book your perfect venue. Once that is done, we can help you with the finer points :-) xx

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

It's certainly possible if you are prepared to accept you might not get your first choice of suppliers- the good photographers etc often get booked up years on advance!

Do look at a Sunday or Midweek wedding- venues will be cheaper and availability is more likely. We are getting married in 2017 but saved about 2k on our venue package by having a Sunday.

My other words of advice is about the dress. Do you want a designer dress from a bridal boutique and the whole experience that goes with that? If so you need to get out there asap! Most shops seem to want a 9 month minimum to allow for ordering and fittings. However you can get around this by ordering a rush cut (will cost more) or buying off the rack at a sample sale.

• MrsStobe4MrsStobe4 Posts: 282

My friend did it in 7 months! And that was for 6ish in the day and over 100 at night.

Go to a few wedding fayres at venues as they tend to do really good packages. My friend did this. She got the ceremony room, wedding breakfast, drinks reception for £1995 as it was initially a Groupon deal but they didn't sell the amount they wanted to. The venue was beautiful and the food was delicious. They also used the venues supplier for dressing the rooms which only cost £300 (including chair covers/sash, table cloths, centrepieces, post box for cards etc) The venue dresser recommended a wedding stationary person who charged around £300 also for day/evening invites, table numbers, table plan and place names. They're budget was around 6k which they did go over but that was only because of her dress (which she bought 2 months before they actually set a date).

It is definitely doable if you really want to make it happen.

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

9 months is plenty of time. It just means you might be limited on venue availability.

I arranged my first wedding in 6 months. So it can definitely be done.

• lubeslubes Posts: 1,555

Yes, you can absolutely plan a wedding in nine months! My friend did it in about seven. You just need to make sure you can dedicate time to it and be willing to compromise on some of your suppliers potentially. 

I don't think you will have a problem finding a venue for around £5000. Like some of the other ladies have suggested, you can look at having a weekday wedding (I would be surprised if venues were still available on weekends this September to be honest...). The only thing you would need to bear in mind if you do this is giving guests enough notice to book time off work.

Good luck! x

• We are in very simiilar circumstances, we decided in May 2015 to get married in August 2017, roll on July 2015 and we decide to move it forward to April 2016! So 9 months! I've found it very do-able, but we were lucky in that we had chosen our venue for 2017 and just chose one of the two Saturdays they had left for 2016. (The other one was in September!) 

The most important thing to do is your venue. What venue you go for dictates the whole theme of the day and how much they sort for you if they do packages dictates how much you have to do in the next 9 months. Our venue don't do anything, it is literally a blank palette but I am very much enjoying coordinating everything. Once you have a venue, do a busget breakdown and then chose a dress. 

As the ladies have said, we can help with all the details! Where in Hampshire are you? I am on the Wilts/ Hampshire/ Dorset border. Technically I live in Wiltshire, work in Hampshire and get married in Dorset!

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,355 New bride

Completely do able. I planned mine in 10 months. We got engaged at the end of sept and by the end of October we had a venue and I ordered my dress in novemeber.

we wanted a church wedding which did make things slightly easier as we didn't have to worry about a registra being booked up and having to have a late ceremony. We also went for a Friday as there were no Saturday's free at our venue. 

• Oh my goodness I feel like I've gained a group of new best friends!  You are all so lovely thank you so much. I'm away a lot with my job so also have that against me as I never have weekends off which is when my h2b (eeeeeeeek first time I've said that!) is off. But at least nowadays there is wifi pretty much everywhere.

I'm back in the uk tomorrow morning so will have some sleep then make a start phoning the venues on my list. i have said to htb that if they're all coming back full then we may have to consider putting it back to May but let's give it a go! 

By the way I just need to warn you that I feel totally thick when it comes to this wedding planning! So be prepared for lots of sill questions! 

THANK YOU SO MUCH xxxxxx

Ps I'm in Basingstoke 

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

Hey!

I am also a Hampshire bride, well I live in London but from Fareham and getting married at the Burley Manor Hotel. What venues are on your list to call tomorrow? It might be worth calling my venue... they currently only do the odd wedding now and then, and don't do much advertising. But they have just finished renovating the hotel and are just about to start on the gorgeous barn out the back and are under completely new management who are really pushing on the weddings front so will probably have good availability for this year - it's basically like a new venue.

I don't know how it would fit your budget though as mine is coming to about £8k for 75 guests but this may be significantly lower for 2016 in their push to get their venue known in the area? 

• Pf2016Pf2016 Posts: 831 New bride

I am also a Hampshire bride, getting married this April.  We got engaged a year ago but just before we completed on our house (a total doer-upper) which consumed all of our time last year.  We didn't get round to booking our wedding until late summer but had no problems getting things sorted.  Mind you we are keeping things very laid back and simple.  We are having a church ceremony followed by reception at a lovely old country pub - the whole pub is booked out for us - we aren't paying any hire charge, just food and drink which covers their costs and makes them enough profit to justify closing the pub for the day.  I was just doing my budget earlier, the food is coming in at about £4000 and drinks £2000 (80 days guests and 125 evening).  Yes the food per head is expensive but I was happier knowing my money went on something tangible, especially in a place which we know does great, good quality food, rather than on an inflated hire charge at other venues.  I couldn't get my head around how venues could charge up to £8000 for hire charge alone, it is so extortionate.  Instead we have a lovely charming venue with lots of character, the only decorations we need to provide are some small bunches of spring flowers to pop on the tables.  DIY flowers, our friend is the photographer, our Renault Clio is the car, the pub is arranging their regular DJ to play.  It is all very simple and not stressful at all!  (Saving my stress quota for Mother of the Bride issues...)

• You definitely can! We got engaged in December and got married in October.

We booked our venue in December and sent out invites. But then didn't do anything at all until June. It doesn't have to be hard. :)

• GO FOR IT....me and my husband have been engaged for 2 years and in that time we kept saying let's set a date. To be honest we were having money issues so we kept putting it off.Then one morning in October 2015 I woke up and thought I'm going to book the wedding So I booked a simple ceremony for 40 people. It took me about a week to find a nice venue and 2 weeks for my dress. Then we got married on 15th December 2015. 

People where so helpful and even the dress shop did an emergency transfer from Milton Keynes to Sheffield for me. Also because we got married on a Tuesday the company who did my chair covers and centrepieces she took about 50% off. 

we spent about £2500 and it was a perfect Christmas wedding plus you know the companies you order from won't go bust in that short space of time. Haha 😊

• Thank you so much for the replies. I've spent today and yesterday looking at venues and have narrowed down the list and made second viewings at some for mon as other half has taken day off. availability is alittle better than we thought as we are happy with a Friday. Will keep you posted! xx

• B23B23 Posts: 169

Sounds doable!

Bit of advice, a friend did this and she found moving from September to October she had a lot more choice (end of September being the official end of the traditional 'wedding season') and apparently availability spikes in October and prices drop.

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

So exciting - which venues are you looking at? 

• Hi ladies

sorry for the delay in replying been a manic time! Ok so I've narrowed it down to two venues. Frimley hall hotel and Farnham house. pros and cons to both so we are just whittling down the finer points.  have ordered the men's suits though so at least something is done! Will keep you posted xx

• Geek GirlGeek Girl Posts: 145

We did it in five and a half months and actually we found venues gave us a good deal as 'last minute' (!) so it could work in your favour. Mostly we found that there was plenty of time to sort everything we wanted - it also concentrated the mind and meant we had a good excuse for stuff we just didn't care about ('not enough time to sort cars', so we didn't bother, just chose a venue where we could get changed there and saved the money ;))

The only thing that was a bit tough was my wedding dress. I started off thinking I'd just buy something off the rack from Monsoon or BHS or somewhere, but ended up doing one wedding dress shop trip with my mum and sister (supposedly just as the rite of passage!) and ended up falling in love with a gown that I had to pay an extra £75 for as a 'rush' (four month!) order.

If you're pretty easy going about what you want though it can be a lovely way to get married - we weren't massively weddingy people, we had no set ideas about what we wanted and it was nice to immerse ourselves in wedding planning for a relatively short period of time. We got married on a Sunday in June too so if you can scope out venues you might find someone able to accommodate you. Don't hesitate to ask what they can do 'last minute' ;)

Good luck with it!

• SquirrelSquirrel Posts: 102

My brother and his wife were married within 6 months of getting engaged and secured a saturday in June. They had a big, traditional wedding. It can be done, just go for it :) 

• Hello!

just thought id give a little update on my progress. I now have my venue booked and my dress, first shop I tried! I've got 4 appointments with photographers next week and a florist coming over too. Men's suits are ordered and have orders bridesmaids dresses although they are online so there's a question mark over them until I see them for real! But all in all I'm pretty pleased with how things are going :-) 

• Amy263Amy263 Posts: 7

9 months is definitely possible especially with the help of online shopping. Check out sites like www.weddingbyamy.com and others that are similar to get a lot of things you need.

• We have worked to some very tight timescales (one week!) in the past. Very doable with the right amount of support!