Giving notice- FIL terminally ill

Hi all,

My fiances dad has been given 6-9 months after a recent battle with lung cancer. He's really been through the works and it breaks my heart. The one thing he wants to do is see us get married, he couldn't imagine not being there and same for us with him. We've decided to bring our wedding forward and are due to marry end of August this year.

Everything is pretty much booked now and I went to book an appointment to give notice and the soonest date for an appointment is 18 days before our wedding (Next availability 9 weeks from now)

Im now in such a panic as I genuinely didn't realise that they would have been so busy. Maybe it's my silly fault for bringing it forward i don't know. I called the local area helpline (no direct line for the 1 registrar office we can use) and they said the only thing I could do was email and ask if there would be any chance we could get in sooner. Their automated email address said the average time for a response is 10-14 days!!!! :(

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or has been in a similar situation???? Would be much appreciated as I'm pulling my hair out. 

thank you!

• EJS1982EJS1982 Posts: 664

I'm so sorry for your future father in law - what a terrible blow for your fiancé. My only advice would be to not panic about the legalities - remember the wedding day could comprise of a blessing and all the legal stuff can come as and when - hope that's viable?!

• I'm afraid I don't have a huge amount useful to add, other than  I think that ejs1982 is right and that even if the legalities must be done separately he will be at the "real" wedding. 

My Mum was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in march and so we have rushed engagement and wedding to maximise the chance she will be there. To do that we have split our "legal" and "main" wedding, so it is done. Good luck with it all, i know it makes for a difficult time.

• Kim90Kim90 Posts: 185

keep trying the reg office.. If I were you I would sort the wedding out and then just have the legal wedding at a later date...they often do this on don't tell the bride...

for me the wedding is saying your vows and exchanging rings, not signing a piece of paper.

i know it's not ideal..but neither is your situation, good luck 

• Lucy243Lucy243 Posts: 2

Thanks everyone for your input, I'm going to keep trying the reg office and if I have no luck we'll have to stagger it as suggested. Atleast he will be there for the most important part.

Margarethb I hope everything works out for you in the end too. 

Thanks

• Thanks and good luck