when to start plannin! HELP!

hi guys, 

im pretty new to this! been engaged just for just over 6 months and have started to actually look at getting married. 

i know thats the whole idea when you get engaged but it hasn't really come up untill now! 

we are looking to spend loads as we want it to be quite relaxed more like a party that a formal wedding as we're both pretty laid back! 

im just not sure how far in advance we should book! I'm thinking the 20.10.18 would be ideal but I don't know if now is too soon or if I should start looking so I can get what I want and I'm not disapoited! I don't know if booking early will help us buget better aswell! 

any thoughts would be great! 

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

I'm getting married March 2018. We have booked our venue, organised wedding insurance, provisionally booked the registrar, bought a few decorations and booked our DJ. 

We have found a few bargains along the way but most is the major decisions will be made later this year and into next year. Both h2b and I are always busy with children and work so didn't want to rush the planning process only to find we weren't happy with things. 

Sometimes I look at the to do list and wonder how I'm going to fit it all in. Lol 

• Nikki-93Nikki-93 Posts: 171

I get married 28th July 2018, we've booked our venue and photographer and reserved the registar. I have found by booking now you get the prices they are currently offering, I have been advised by both venue and photographer that there prices will go up by the time our wedding comes round so by booking early were getting ourselves a good deal. It's also helping us to budget as we know what we need to save towards.

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride
    mrsGtobex wrote (see post):

hi guys, 

im pretty new to this! been engaged just for just over 6 months and have started to actually look at getting married. 

i know thats the whole idea when you get engaged but it hasn't really come up untill now! 

we are looking to spend loads as we want it to be quite relaxed more like a party that a formal wedding as we're both pretty laid back! 

im just not sure how far in advance we should book! I'm thinking the 20.10.18 would be ideal but I don't know if now is too soon or if I should start looking so I can get what I want and I'm not disapoited! I don't know if booking early will help us buget better aswell! 

any thoughts would be great! 

There is no reason why you can't book the 'big' things like venue, caterer, photographer etc, however as you're so far away from your wedding, everything else can probably wait a while yet.

If you buy now you'll probably end up changing your mind or buying again which costs more in the long run.

Also, by booking early does not guarantee prices won't go up... most vendors can and do put prices up, there is normally something in the contract saying that they are able to. Our reception venue went up by £300 between the time we booked and paid our final invoice.

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,663 New bride

In my experience, most vendors will lock in the current price against annual rises if you book now. However, do make sure that you clarify this when booking and that there isn't a clause in the contract saying they can increase the price after you've booked! I think we certainly saved money by booking in advance as we missed those annual rises.

However, seeing as you are looking for the end of 2018 you may find a lot of venues aren't yet taking bookings. I'd make a few enquiries and see what they say. The first things are venue and registrar- they should let you reserve a slot. I know when I rang to reserve my registrar said they are taking a lot of bookings for 2018. Then after that photographer as the good ones get booked up waaaay in advance. Then I'd leave everything else until sooner so you don't change your mind!