When should you go??

realistically when should you start going and trying on wedding dresses before the big day? Curious to know when I can start shopping without being too keen, buying something and then finding Iv gone off it on the big day. I don't get married for 2 years yet so I was thinking of going im the new year But is that still too early?

• MrsM16MrsM16 Posts: 314

I was told to think about making a decision a year before, to ensure the dress is ordered in on time X

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

About 9 months to a year in advance so there is plenty of time to order it, get alterations done etc. 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,331 New bride

If you are a fairly decisive person who has a good idea what you want, go a year in advance. This gives you a couple of months to look, and time to order and have alterations. Keep in mind ordering times can be up to 9 months- although most dresses come in way quicker. Mine came in around 4 and I was told 6-9. But you need to work to the longest possible timescale.

If you know that you will have a hard time choosing then go maybe 14 or 15 months in advance so you aren't time pressured.

• Kitten2014Kitten2014 Posts: 1,489

I suggest about 9 months. Only the most sought-after, expensive designers need more time than that to produce gowns (i.e. Ramona Keveza). The rest can typically comfortably produce your dress and ship it in 6 months or less. There is far more risk of having dress regrets if you buy too early than having a dress by a reputable and capable designer not delivered on time. 

Way, way too many ladies are on this forum selling the dresses they hastily bought for small percentages of their original purchase prices all because they didn't wait and changed their minds...

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,202

I would agree 9 months to 12 months at the absolute max. I made the mistake of going for "fun" 20 months before and then got obsessed with finding a dress. Which is completely stoopid obviously as I had so much time. I ended up buying one with 18 months to go an whilst I still love it I had some moments of questioning that which was SO hard! I think it would have been easier all round if I had waited. And you might think of that won't happen to me, but so did I this time a year ago lol. So you just don't know how you'll react and my advice would be just to wait. Get to know dress designers and styles online in the mean time!

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

I got engaged in May but haven't been tempted to go dress shopping until I'm closer to the wedding. Going just for fun often ends up with you falling in love with something far too early, then changing your mind, as kitten says above it happens all the time.