What is a wedding theme?

Hi all, I had a friend recently ask me what my wedding theme is. I thought my colour scheme black and white was the theme but apparently that's different.

Can I someone please explain what a wedding theme is and how it gets incorporated? Pics would be really great too.

Thanks in advance

• Your theme is the feel of your day. It allows people to get a snapshot of what your day will be like (especially helpful for suppliers). Basically, if you could describe your pinterest board in a few words, what would it be?

But you absolutely don't NEED a theme. And I didn't set out planning with a theme, it just kind of came together. A colour scheme is a much more important thing to nail down. 

To give you an example, my wedding theme is elegant & romantic - all soft blushes & ivories with gold touches.

• Jesus Christ this is news to me!

• Ok, that makes sense. But she said something about table names? Is that something else?

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

You aren't alone, I had no idea about the whole wedding theme issue either. 

My h2b explained why we needed a theme, (he's been married before). 

Our wedding colours are pink and lilac. Our theme is Cath kidston shabby chic. We are naming our tables after authors. You don't need to name your tables. It's your vision of the day. 

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

You really don't need a theme, please don't worry, there is no law saying you need a theme for your wedding day!! Just have what you like!

• I'm not worried or anything, I just want to understand what it is cause I hadnt heard of it before. I know there'll be a lot of "must have" wedding things I won't be having lol.

• Emily54Emily54 Posts: 266

I always think just do your own thing with it really. If you're into shabby chic do it or Art Deco run with it. We didn't have a theme and we also had table numbers not names and our wedding went along just fine.

but you can create fab personal touches with themes and table numbers so be as creative or uncreative as you like. 

We had 10 guest tables and we have been together 10 years, so I wanted to call the tables after the years. For example 2006, with a photo of us from the year and so on to 2016. Husband hated the idea so I couldn't run with it. Surprised I married him after that actually 😂 

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,202
    FutureMrsWoolgrove wrote (see post):

Your theme is the feel of your day. It allows people to get a snapshot of what your day will be like (especially helpful for suppliers). Basically, if you could describe your pinterest board in a few words, what would it be?

Haha MrsWoolgrove I LOVE how you assume that everyone bride in their right mind would have pinterest  It is an essential wedding planning tool.

• The bride that manages to plan her wedding without Pinterest is a rare, mythical creature....and must be bloody creative!

• Bims09Bims09 Posts: 238

Black and white sounds like a theme to me! Just tell your friend that it's 'monochrome'

I know how you feel, there's so many ideas out there that it can feel overwhelming. I have just found some colours I like that also fit in with my venue. I will probably come up with some table names that mean something to the two of us, however lots of people seem to just use table numbers!

• Brilliant. Thanks for the info everyone, it really helped :)

Btw, my Pinterest board is black and white. Had it longer than I've had my OH lol

• I love this thread! Totally agree with the other girls - a 'theme' is really the feeling or atmosphere you want to invoke for the day through your decorations & other touches, and it can also apply to your colours - so your black & white is spot on. It's about making the day personal to you and your groom, so it's a reflection of the two of you.

On Pinterest - Jenni8 made me laugh with "I LOVE how you assume that everyone bride in their right mind would have pinterest  It is an essential wedding planning tool."

Pinterest is such a good tool to just stick all your ideas and random thoughts in one place. At the start of my wedding planning it was like someone had thrown up every wedding idea on to it! It was so helpful though because I really didn't know what "theme" I wanted or colours or anything - and as I just kept pinning, a theme emerged from similar styles that kept catching my eye. So when I went to actually buy stuff I had a much clearer idea of what I wanted, and making decisions was easier - and I didn't spend money on stuff I didn't need/want.

I'm actually giving a free workshop on Thursday evening about essential wedding planning tools, and (spoiler alert) Pinterest is on there. I'd love if you were able to join - you can find out more at weddingquickstart.com/workshop

Best wishes,

Helen x