Hatton Garden engagement ring

• CeeCeeCeeCee Posts: 135

Don't get anything that's not certified. You'll be able to get a ring for that budget in hatton garden. I got mine at John Wyatt who I recommend and lots of my colleagues have used him as well.

My specifications were very similar to yours and I got one with all the certifications

• Absolutely never buy an uncertified diamond! You can ask them to get it certified, if they won't then chances are it isn't what they're saying. 

You can definitely get what you want on Hatton Garden, you're just likely to have to buy a lower quality diamond in terms of clarity, cut or colour. There's such a range on Hatton Garden (it's the street next to my office so I have walked down it a few times) that you can get a ring at any price point. If you're worried about not being able to afford a ring, don't go in the fancy high end shops. But you can definitely get what you want at 75% of the shops on Hatton Garden.

• CeeCee wrote (see post):

Don't get anything that's not certified. You'll be able to get a ring for that budget in hatton garden. I got mine at John Wyatt who I recommend and lots of my colleagues have used him as well.

My specifications were very similar to yours and I got one with all the certifications

Well that's reassuring then! Thanks for the recommendation, i'll put it on my list of places to check out

• FutureMrsWoolgrove wrote (see post):

Absolutely never buy an uncertified diamond! You can ask them to get it certified, if they won't then chances are it isn't what they're saying. 

You can definitely get what you want on Hatton Garden, you're just likely to have to buy a lower quality diamond in terms of clarity, cut or colour. There's such a range on Hatton Garden (it's the street next to my office so I have walked down it a few times) that you can get a ring at any price point. If you're worried about not being able to afford a ring, don't go in the fancy high end shops. But you can definitely get what you want at 75% of the shops on Hatton Garden.

Do you think a high street shop (Ernest Jones) would get it certified for me? I didn't think they would do it, but hadn't thought to ask.

If you had to compromise with a lower clarity, cut or colour, which one would you compromise on?

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

I recommend rennie and co 

• Hails wrote (see post):

Why in particular do you recommend them? For the carat we're looking for they seem too expensive. Are they good with haggling?

• They should already have it certified, very surprised it's not! You can definitely ask, if they refuse, it's dodgy.

i personally wanted carat over everything else, because I'm vain, but my fiancé refused to compromise and got be a pretty much perfect diamond. But I would say compromise on clarity or colour. I didn't understand cut until I got my ring -apparently it doesn't mean shape, it dictates how sparkly the diamond is. Thats the thing I notice most about my ring - when it catches my eye in the office or walking down the street. I rarely marvel that it's flawless. But I know that makes my fiancé proud.

• I ran a Goldsmiths store for 5 years and the majority of Diamond rings we sold weren't certified. It isn't a bit deal and in no way means the ring is dodgy, it's like all things on the high street: high street means mid-quality, having it certified costs more so isn't worth it for a mid range diamond. Goldsmiths do use better quality diamonds than Ernest Jones, but you can find something better at Hatton Garden or the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham. You just might not get the service element you get from a High Street jeweller, they can be very product focused. Your list of requirements definitely sounds achievable. My advice would be don't compromise on cut as this is how the diamond distributes the light, so how sparkly it is. Colour wise it's not worth going above G-H unless you have big bucks. If you can find someone who makes rings in Palladium this will save you a lot of money, it is much cheaper than Platinum but wears virtually the same. As it is a solitaire round brilliant you are after it is a relatively simple setting. You will be able to get the Diamond you are after virtually everywhere in Hatton Garden so maybe start the conversations about whether they do Palladium? A lot don't for ladies rings as it is relatively new, that may help you choose who to go with easier. 

Good luck and show us pictures after :)

• I would really recommend Quality Diamonds.  We ordered online but they are based in Hatton Garden.  Mine is a 0.6 D colour, vs1/2 clarity and good or very good cut (can't remember!) princess cut solitaire ring and was £1300 but valued at £2700 (with valuation certificate for insurance purposes etc).  They were really helpful over the phone and I loved how you could 'build' your ring by choosing the setting then picking the exact diamond from their extensive data base.  Not sure how haggling would work but there prices were so reasonable we didn't feel the need to.

• Lionel wiffin in Hatton garden is excellent. He is one of the original diamond traders and gave us a very good price indeed

• Just to throw in my 2 cents , My partner  & I looked at various high street shops, Hatton Garden and online stores. We decided in the end to go with 77 diamonds and visited their show room to look at the various settings and diamonds. We decided to go ahead with 0.60 carat GIA certified diamond emerald cut ( excellent polish and symmetry) with side stones in yellow gold. I think the diamond colour is J, clarity- VVS 2 for just over a little bit over £1700. We found them very helpful and not pushy to make a sale as well. Also offered 10% of each for our wedding bands

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455
    MissD2016 wrote (see post):
    Hails wrote (see post):

Why in particular do you recommend them? For the carat we're looking for they seem too expensive. Are they good with haggling?

Great quality and the diamond is beautiful. We didn't haggle.