Names ....

I'm getting married second time around, I've been divorced for 6 years but I kept my ex husband's name because we have three children who have his name and I didn't want to change to be different from them... and there was no reason to change their names - everything was /is amicable. 

So what do I do now... ? I think it's a bit weird keeping my exhusbands name after I'm married to H2B but then I still don't want to be different from the children ( they don't mind in the slightest,  it's only me who seems to be bothered lol) and double barrelling is weird too. I considered going back to my maiden name but that doesn't solve anything either. H2B obvs can't change his name to my exhusbands as that would be mega weird. 

Be good to know what others have done or are doing. I think I'm a bit old fashioned.

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

I never got married to my daughters father, she has his last name, I obviously have my maiden name but when I marry next year I will take my H2Bs name, so I will still have a different last name from my daughter. I wouldn't dream of getting her to change her name and I think it's right for me to take my future husbands name. At the end of the day your main name won't change for your children you will always be known as Mum and that's the important bit.

• MashMash Posts: 73

That's true. I think it is only me that's bothered about it tbh, and as they are all pretty much out of school now it really won't matter in the least, except to me ( not that it ever did matter, really )

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,440

I am getting married for the second time... I still currently have my ex husbands surname but will be changing to my new husbands surname.

My daughter has my ex husbands surname (his daughter) but we changed my sons surname by deed poll to my ex husbands surname after we married (my sons dad hasn't bothered with him since he was three, I had him before the law on parental responsibility changed - I could legally do it without his dads signature as we weren't married)).

My children will keep their dad/stepdads surname but I will change mine - both my kids are at high school now.... It's their choice.

• I have 2 kids with my fiancé and they have his surname. We're getting married next July and I'm considering keeping my name as it is. I love my name the new surname sounds weird with my forename and I think why should I change it, it doesn't bother me that the kids will have a different name to me. My fiancé isn't happy with this plan though 

• MrsMannionMrsMannion Posts: 1,193 New bride

I dont have kids but when my mum got married we kept my dads name a nd she changed hers to my step dads, my husband has his dads name but his mum tried to change it to his steps dads name for some reason his sister agreed to it but my husband said no,  so when. We were gettin married she kept saying to me ur surname shouldnt be mannion it should be hind but i would argue and say thats not his dads name and his mum keeps saying it but he chose to keep his dads name and wnt respect that xx

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

How old are your children? It's good that they don't mind, makes the decision your own, and probably easier. 

I totally understand you wanting to keep the same name as your children but I would be tempted to take my new husbands name. I think it would be nice. When my mum re-married she took my step-dad's surname and for us that felt right.