Forum home Getting started

Christmas Brides & Christmas Proposals

Happy Christmas to everyone, especially any newly engaged brides from today... Love a Christmas proposal!

Does anyone have a lovely proposal story from today or an original way that they were proposed to?

Here's to 2017 and a new year of wonderful weddings :D

Catherine x

[email protected]

• Mimi8Mimi8 Posts: 316 New bride

My daughter's brother in law to be asked his partner to start preparing Xmas lunch and he would dress their daughter , when she came downstairs with daddy she was wearing a shirt saying ' mummy will you marry daddy?' With a ring pinned on the t shirt , that was 2. Years ago today, meanwhile my daughter marries her partner in 5 days !!!  Yay xx

• That is so cute, such a lovely story to be able to tell in years to come... 

Have a wonderful wedding! 

Catherine x

• San1969San1969 Posts: 577

Sadly my mum and dad have both passed away but we have a memorial tree at Detrington Millenium Green where their ashes have been placed.  My boyfriend told me that whatever the weather we should go to the tree and wish them a happy Christmas and put a bauble on the tree. It was there that he "asked my dad's permission" and then proposed to me 😊

• Aww lovely stories here! 

My boyfriend led me to believe he had gotten me a dress for Xmas, so I wasn't at all suspicious when he gave me a big box all wrapped up. Inside were three carved jewellery boxes, and in the middle one was the ring. 

It was a complete surprise and I haven't stopped smiling yet! :D

• San that's a lovely story! Congratulations! Love the idea of memorial trees and how they represent the circle of life, how thoughtful of your boyfriend asking your Dad's permission too :) 

BumpkinCharlotte, great story too and congratulations!! Was there anything in the other two carved boxes or were they just to fool you? I am curious haha! 

xxx

• Sophie177Sophie177 Posts: 190

Christmas day 2015, 10.30am, my (at the time) boyfriend and i were just about to leave the house to visit his parents for present swapping, when he says to me "have you got your earrings in for today?"

me: "yes sweetheart, the beautiful ones you bought me 2 years ago".  

him: "ah ok." ... five minutes later "well heres an early present for you"...

he hands me a posh black bag of a local jewellers that i love, contains a small glossy black box, just perfect for a pair of earrings.  i untie the ribbon, and open the box... it wasnt earrings, a solitaire set in white gold sparkled back at me.  i looked up, hands shaking... he has (happy) tears in his eyes

him: "will you marry me?"

needless to say i said yes immeidately and we married on 29 October 2016 

• Hi Sophie,

Thanks for sharing! I love hearing peoples' engagement stories, I have heard lots now and all totally different so I sometimes I think I should do a 'Little Book of Engagements' with a collection of different couples' stories haha!

Catherine x

• I woke up Christmas morning all excited because Father Christmas had come!! Grabbed our stockings and woke my boyfriend up! Got my first Christmas present out my stocking, still in bed, unwrapped it and it was a white homemade cardboard box with crappy pen marks over it, inside that was a metallic gold box and inside that was a plastic ring that we had gotten in a cracker at his Christmas do. My boyfriend was laughing his head off...all I said was "that's really cruel". When he finally stopped laughing, he brought out an actual ring box and asked "Will you marry me?". I was in total shock so it took me a while to say yes - had to make sure he was being serious!!! Hahahaaa!

Love hearing about everyones stories!
    Hannah xxx

• Hi Hannah,

That's a funny one, good to know he has a sense of humour! Proposing with a plastic ring from a cracker would be a bit like proposing with a Haribo ring I suppose!

Thanks for sharing :) 

• San1969 wrote (see post):

Sadly my mum and dad have both passed away but we have a memorial tree at Detrington Millenium Green where their ashes have been placed.  My boyfriend told me that whatever the weather we should go to the tree and wish them a happy Christmas and put a bauble on the tree. It was there that he "asked my dad's permission" and then proposed to me 😊

oh! Your story made the tears gather in my eyes! My congratulation and be happy!

• My boyfriend invited me to spend the Christmas evening 2014 with his family. He knew that my parents wouldn't allow us to live together before wedding. So, after dinner he came to me, hugged me, opened a box with a ring and then said: "I had never loved before I met you. I promise to do my best to make you happy. Will you marry me?" Frankly speaking, I had no idea he was going to make a proposal, but I agreed at once Next day we went to my parents and they were very happy for us, and we married on 21st February 2016 

• MrsMc28MrsMc28 Posts: 61

Not my engagement but my FSIL - Christmas 2014 her fiancé decided to pop the question, we all were in on it but she had no idea. He had got a special cracker with her name on and so she didn't get suspicious all her siblings had special crackers. Anyhoo, just before evening food everyone decided it was a good idea to pull crackers so we let them go first. They pulled the cracker and he hadn't secured the ring in properly so it flew across the living room into the dining room! They both were on their hands and knees trying to find it (she had no idea what she was looking for) He finally found it under the table and called her over while he was still on his knees, pretending to get up he was on one knee and popped the question. She had dropped to her knees in tears and said yes! It was a lovely moment even if it didn't go quite to plan.

• Sorry only just seen these newer posts! Thank you for sharing :D xxx