When to tell your guests the date ?

hello just wondering if you can help me , I'm booking a venue for may 2020 but it would be a Friday how long before shall I tell the guests the date so they could book it off in advance . Tia

• I'd think a year - 9 months before your date at the most, we sent our save the dates 7 months before the date

• MrsG2bxxMrsG2bxx Posts: 868

I'd say the same, send 'Save the dates' a year in advance and then formal invitations 4-6 months before the wedding.  That's plenty of time.  My wedding is on a Thursday this coming May and I have only just posted the formal invitations.  If you do it too soon people will just forget as they wont have calendars or diaries for 2020 for a few years yet.  xx

• Thank you ! What about asking your maid of honour and brides maids ? 

• MrsCFMrsCF Posts: 155

I wouldn't ask my bridesmaids yet because so many things can change in this time. I've heard so many stories about people asking friends to be bridesmaids and they regret their choice and wishes they'd took the time and asked someone else.

But then saying that if you are going to ask your sister for example and you know your choice won't change, then I don't see any harm in asking them whenever you want to.

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,844 New bride

A year out should be fine, unless it's over any school holiday times like Easter or August as people may be booking holidays. Then I'd maybe send them out a few months earlier just to be safe

• MrsG2bxxMrsG2bxx Posts: 868

I would absolutely hold off any planning until at least 18 months before.  I know it is hard but so much can change.  You don't want to regret anything or wish you hadn't rushed into something, also, you have to be prepared that not everyone will be as excited about your wedding as you are and if you start wedding bits now, then by the time 2019 is here and you are in full wedding mode, your friends may be sick of it and you wont be getting the support you will need.  If like MrsF says the MOH will be your sister or something then that is unlikely to change and I'd probably let my sister know but I wouldn't do much else for the time being.

My wedding has been in the planning stages since January 2016 so a year now and I have just under 5 months still to go.....I honestly feel everyone is starting to feel pretty bored of my wedding now - I am sure the excitement will pick up again nearer the time but you don't want it drag out too much as its nice to have that constant buzz going! xxxxxx

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

Do not start dress shopping, buying bits and pieces or even asking your bridal party until 18 months minimum. It's amazing how friendships change and three years is a very long time. I've seen so many brides ending up with dress regret cause they bought early.