Who's Surname would you take?

Myself and h2b have been speaking about my future surname.

I've said I don't mind taking his name, or double barrelling mine.

But he's said he wouldn't mind taking the double barrelled version of both our names!

So we're at a cross roads at what to do.

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

Well if your happy to double barrel and H2B is happy to double barrel then that would seem like a plan to me!

• If you re both happy to double barely I d go with that :) 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

It just depends what you prefer. I personally dont like double barrelled names so that would rule that out for me.

but which do you both prefer? His surname or double barrelling both surnames?

• MrsE2016MrsE2016 Posts: 1,206 New bride

If he's happy to double barrel then go for it!

I suggested that but my husband wasn't keen so I took his surname - I kept my maiden name as a middle name. This was done by deed poll and was very simple to do. This is also an option. You'll have to do a deed poll for double barrelled I believe? 

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 979
    MrsE2016 wrote (see post):

If he's happy to double barrel then go for it!

I suggested that but my husband wasn't keen so I took his surname - I kept my maiden name as a middle name. This was done by deed poll and was very simple to do. This is also an option. You'll have to do a deed poll for double barrelled I believe? 

I've not heard about having to deed poll it if you decide to double barrel when you get married. I'll have to look in to it. Thanks MrsE2016!

MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

It just depends what you prefer. I personally dont like double barrelled names so that would rule that out for me.

I like his surname, as our son has his surname too... but part of me doesn't want to get rid of my maiden name... It would be Parker-Vessey if I double barrelled it.

Tanya128 wrote (see post):

Well if your happy to double barrel and H2B is happy to double barrel then that would seem like a plan to me!

I keep saying our surnames double barrelled in my head, just to see what it sounds like!  

I still can't make my mind up though!

• I have always thought I'd just keep my name as it is bevause why should I give up my name. But as my wedding date gets nearer I am coming round to changing my name. Personally not a fan of double barrelled 

• August18August18 Posts: 247

Ive always had a double barrelled name so for me to add another would be silly ha although everyone says they prefer the sound of my current name than my oh sir name with my first. I've always just thought I'd change it but I have a child from a previous relationship and I don't want them to have a Different name to me and my parter and any further children so it's a tricky one! 

• I'm going to have a double barrelled name, I don't particularly like it all that much though it does go together quite well when you say it. I'd rather keep my own name but our kids have both so I'll be same as them 

• Mary-5Mary-5 Posts: 3

I will take my husband name

• Rachael116Rachael116 Posts: 150

I'll take my HTBs - and I can't wait to do so as my surname is the only thing I have of my 'non-existent since birth' dad and it's never felt right to me.

I've already started to practice my new signature and OH affectionately calls me "Mrs T to be".

• MissSMissS Posts: 265 New bride
    Laura349 wrote (see post):

MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

I like his surname, as our son has his surname too... but part of me doesn't want to get rid of my maiden name... It would be Parker-Vessey if I double barrelled it.

Parker Vessey is a gorgeous name!! Id go with that!

Rachael116 wrote (see post):

I'll take my HTBs - and I can't wait to do so as my surname is the only thing I have of my 'non-existent since birth' dad and it's never felt right to me.

I've already started to practice my new signature and OH affectionately calls me "Mrs T to be".

I don't have my 'non existent since birth / when he feels like it' dad's name! I've always had my mum's maiden name and it's the only part of my granddad that I have left lol. x