Do you include recipient names on invitations?

Possibly a really silly question.... are recipient names usually included on the actual invitation, or just the envelopes?

We are a while away from ordering invitations yet, but I have looked at lots of options and did think it was weird that recipient names aren't included on the invitations.

Me and my partner received an invitation recently and our names aren't on the invitation, they were just on the envelope.

I worry that with some of the people we invite they might assume they can have plus ones / children if each name isn't specified, but does that limit my options with invitations?

(This makes me sound mean but I'm thinking of cousins that I've not seen in years assuming that if they have boyfriends / girlfriends they can just bring them along, we are struggling to cut down the numbers enough as it is...)

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

We didn't have names on the main invite page ( we forgot about it completely when designing them) so we wrote the names on the rsvp and in the envelope. I think if you have any concerns I would put the names on the invites 

• MrsRendall2BMrsRendall2B Posts: 661 New bride

No, I'm totally with you. I saw so many invite options that didn't have space for the recipients name(s). Needless to say, we've gone for some with a space for us to write the name on. If nothing else, I just think it's a little more personal! It's for that reason that we'll be handwriting them on and not having them printed with guests' name(s).

Your plus one point is totally valid too! :)

• MrsRendall2BMrsRendall2B Posts: 661 New bride

P.S If you design your own (I had a lot of fun doing this on Zazzle!) you can make a space/line for you to write them on if you like!

• Midd2SturtonMidd2Sturton Posts: 320

I think with larger families it can be hard to put all names on an invite so it help to have names on invite, people honestly do assume they can interpret 'and family' or a blank invite in their own way. Even after putting every name on my invites I still had an uncle try to add two extra names on my RSVP card! 

• Daisy29Daisy29 Posts: 44

Thanks all for your replies, really helpful.

In that case I will definitely include the names on our invitations & the RSVP section too, if any extras turn up I don't think we could physically fit them anywhere.

I worry I might ruin the invitations if I handwrite names on, maybe I should start practising calligraphy!

Midd2Sturton - I can't believe someone would add on names and think that's ok!

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

We paid extra to have guests names printed inside the invite, looked very classy. The risk of not putting names is people assuming their entire family/kids are invited too

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

We paid extra to have guests names printed inside the invite, looked very classy. The risk of not putting names is people assuming their entire family/kids are invited too.

• RosieC18RosieC18 Posts: 158
    Midd2Sturton wrote (see post):

I think with larger families it can be hard to put all names on an invite so it help to have names on invite, people honestly do assume they can interpret 'and family' or a blank invite in their own way. Even after putting every name on my invites I still had an uncle try to add two extra names on my RSVP card! 

I saw something quite good recently where the RSVP card had a space for the number of places reserved. A fairly discrete way of making sure nobody gets confused ;) 

• Mrsseebe2beMrsseebe2be Posts: 511

We designed ours to have room for the invitees names. We decided to do this after we received a lovely invitation from friends that was clearly a standard printed one without room for names and then they'd added an A4 information sheet they'd printed at home and written our names on it ballpoint pen.

H2B hand wrote the names on in purple ink to match our colour theme.