Forum home Getting started

Should I be paying full price for my dress?

I am buying a dress from a bridal shop that is part of the designers 2016 collection, and paying full price. I am not getting married for another year. My friend mentioned to me that she would’ve expected that 2016 dresses would be on sale / discounted now as they aren’t part of the designers current collection. Does anyone know if this is how it works?

I’m buying it to order, so not from a sample sale, so the designers must still be making them.

• I tried on a 2016 wedding dress that was in the sample sale. But was told if I wanted a brand new version of the dress I could still order it, which was £200 more than the sample one. So I'm guessing if you're having it made to order then it's normal to pay full price.

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

It may be from the 2016 collection, but if it's still in production I would expect to pay full price still

• MrsE2016MrsE2016 Posts: 1,209 New bride

If the shop is still able to order new dresses in the design you've chosen from the designer you should pay full price as it's a new dress. 

A new dress is a new dress, whether it's current or old collection x

• KatyMKatyM Posts: 32

Ok great, I thought that made sense too. Thanks for your replies!

• MrsStateMrsState Posts: 178 New bride

Katy - if you want to save a few pennies I would ring round boutiques who stock the designer and see if they are selling off the sample. With so many new 2017 and 2018 designs coming I’ve found that there have been some 2016 designs in the sample sales already.

• There are designers who sell the same designs for literally years.  A dress may have debuted as part of the 201X collection, but if the design is still being made, then it is still a "current" design and if you have it ordered from that designer new, it will be full price.

MrsState is right - if you hope to save money on the design, see if a shop local to you may be selling one in a sample sale. Or source it out pre-loved/owned.

• In the simplest terms, if you want an item you pay whatever the retailer wants to charge. 

Bridal retailers are no different from any other shop (except that they are more expensive in the firts place because of the wonderful 'Wedding Tax', lol)

If you want to save money you need to find a cheaper dress!

• KatyMKatyM Posts: 32

Thanks all, I am happy to pay full price and expected to seeing as it's being made to order.

I just wanted to clarify what my friend had suggested.