m&s cakes

Has anyone tried the m&s create your own cake, thinking of using the tiers to create my own cake will work out about £100 plus decorations Xx

• MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,363 New bride

My MOH did for her wedding and she had no issues and the quality was amazing. Worked out at £135 for her.

• Thank you xx

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 994 New bride

I may have a look at this too, we’d only need the cake to feed a maximum of 50 people - and every quote I’ve had from cake makers has been nearing £200! 

• Laura349 wrote (see post):

I may have a look at this too, we’d only need the cake to feed a maximum of 50 people - and every quote I’ve had from cake makers has been nearing £200! 

We’re having a slightly higher number of wedding guests (roughly between 80-100 evening guests) but I’ve been quoted upwards of £250 - it does seem like a lot for a cake!

Have you thought about having a small cutting cake and having the rest of the tiers as cupcakes instead? This might also work for the OP too. I know it’s a much cheaper alternative and can look really fantastic. 

Nottinghamshirebride wrote (see post):
    Laura349 wrote (see post):

We’re having a slightly higher number of wedding guests (roughly between 80-100 evening guests) but I’ve been quoted upwards of £250 - it does seem like a lot for a cake!

Have you thought about having a small cutting cake and having the rest of the tiers as cupcakes instead? This might also work for the OP too. I know it’s a much cheaper alternative and can look really fantastic. 

That might be a good idea, and may double up as part of the favours too! 

one of my bridesmaids suggested saying the cake was for a bonfire party (as we’re getting married on bonfire night!) 

• Will look at cupcake ideas as well,

orginally I was wanting a semi naked 3 tier and was getting quotes of 200-300 decorations not included,  as wanting to use flowers that match bouquets , though just got a quote of £175, 2 sponge tiers and 1 chocolate 6" 10" 12" or £125 for 6" 8" 10"

imagemy original idea but 3 tiers xx

Tanya55 wrote (see post):

Will look at cupcake ideas as well,

orginally I was wanting a semi naked 3 tier and was getting quotes of 200-300 decorations not included,  as wanting to use flowers that match bouquets , though just got a quote of £175, 2 sponge tiers and 1 chocolate 6" 10" 12" or £125 for 6" 8" 10"

imagemy original idea but 3 tiers xx

The ‘naked cake’ Idea was what we had in mind too, as h2b doesn’t like icing. We got quoted £200 for a 2 tier cake with no decorations on. 

I just don’t want to spend that much on a cake 🙄

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Your quote of £125/ £175 sounds really good, Im guessing M&S would cost around £100 so its not much more for exactly what you want, I have heard the M&S quality is good, only slight downside as already mentioned is the layers are not that deep.

• VicNVicN Posts: 1,352

I got my wedding cake from a company called Sponge based in Norfolk. They make mini sponges in different flavours and send them to you in the post. They went down a storm, 96 mini sponges came in at about £120. You could also use their bigger cakes as a naked cake and stack it yourself?

This was ours.

And someone else who has used their bigger cakes: image

Their site is www.sponge.co.uk 

Just another idea :-)

Their bigger, 16-serving cakes are £20 each :-)

Oh and one of their flavours is sticky toffee - good for bonfire night? And they usually have a seasonal special on as well.

• VicN wrote (see post):

I got my wedding cake from a company called Sponge based in Norfolk. They make mini sponges in different flavours and send them to you in the post. They went down a storm, 96 mini sponges came in at about £120. You could also use their bigger cakes as a naked cake and stack it yourself?

This was ours.

Oh and one of their flavours is sticky toffee - good for bonfire night? And they usually have a seasonal special on as well.

Oh fab they look great will have a look now thank you xx

• VicNVicN Posts: 1,352

Oh also I forgot to say, that was an M&S cake at the top of ours which was fruit cake for the oldies/fruit cake lovers. I'm not one so i didn't actually taste it but it seemed moist and decent quality, but yes, a little shallow. Shallower than the small sponges.

VicN wrote (see post):

This was ours.

Thank you! I’ve just had a quick look, they have ‘feed 100 people for £100’ on there, our numbers are half that.... but I’m sure if I asked they’d come up with something! 😊