Thursday Wedding?

Hi Everyone!

I hope you are all good, I need help. We have booked our wedding on a friday in February 2020, but I am now thinking about changing it to the day before; a Thursday as it is £3k cheaper! I only have a couple of days to decide, so any advice you can give on the following will be greatly appreciated. 

The only worry I have is that the people we want there will not come. Our families are very important to us and we want them at our wedding, but 3k is a lot of money. 

I am planning on sending out invites 12 months in advance, so I’m hoping this will give them enough time to put holidays in. I just wanted options on what everyone thought and whether you believe people will attend if we give enough notice 

many thanks, sorry for the rant 😊

• gill17gill17 Posts: 568 New bride

I got married on a Thursday, i think as long as people have enough notice its fine. 

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

If people want to attend your wedding they will do so whatever day it’s on! I’ve been to a couple of Thursday weddings and they’ve not been local so I’ve had to book 2 days off but I didn’t even question it as there is no way I wouldn’t have been there to celebrate my friends getting married. 

£3k is a big difference and I’m sure you can use it wisely elsewhere so personally I would go for it! I suppose the only thing to take into consideration is that local evening guests might not want to book the next day off so might have to leave a bit early if they are working the next day. Mine is on a Sunday so I’ve had to think of that as well. 

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Thursday wedding wouldn't bother me too much, though due to a child at school age I would have to be able to get home for her to go to school (an immediate family member marrying I would allow her off school for, but not for extended). I am sure with enough notice it would be fine, 3K is a lot!!

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,440

My brother had his wedding on a Monday and everyone came that he invited.  I had one child authorised and one not authorised but we still went because he's my brother.

Im having mine on a Friday, have managed to get both my kids authorised absences from school and everyone we invited is coming... Including two teachers and their three children.

If people want to go, they will go.

• I don't agree with 'if people want to they will go', as I really don't believe it is that simple for anyone: regardless of day of the week.

As a teacher my school will only authorise leave for a wedding of an immediate family member, and it will be for as little time as possible. I know other professions where this is also the case.

That being said a Thursday wedding wouldn't put me off and if I could attend I would.

• Rin NightRin Night Posts: 167 New bride

We're having our wedding on a Thursday because of cheaper prices too! Though it's a little easier for us to make that decision tbf as my parents get Thursdays and Fridays off work anyway, and we've only got a small guest list, so we know people will be able to make it!

I think as long as you send out the save the dates/invites early enough (and possibly even state "Thursday the __ of Feb" on them) it should be fine and people will understand 😊 it isn't just the venue you'll save on for a mid week wedding too! Loads of services are cheaper because there's less demand! X

Remember, when stressed, simply channel your inner Bridechilla: Take a sand bath, munch some veggies, then chew on a wooden stick... wait... no... that's a Chinchilla... 

My planning thread
  • My wedding was on a Thursday and with the 1 yr notice I gave there was no one who was unable to attend due to the day of the week. It probably does depend on the relationship you have with people as to whether they judge it worth a day off work (or two) if needed, but I would say as long as you don’t think it will impact too much on those guests you feel you really couldn’t do the day without then it is definitely worth saving money. As I am a teacher, our Thursday was during school holidays. This probably made it a bit easier for some and was still much cheaper than a Friday or Saturday date.

• MrsMGMrsMG Posts: 359

I got married on a Thursday and gave people 6+ notice because of the date and only a couple of people couldn't make it and that wasn't due to work. If you give plenty of notice, a week day wedding is fine :)

We got married on a Thursday due to it being cheaper plus it was a special anniversary for us.

• HelenNHelenN Posts: 129 New bride

I think less people now work the standard 9-5 Mon-Fri, a lot of people work weekends so with enough notice, I imagine most will be able to book the time off :)

• Ours is on a Tuesday. Some people can't make it and that's fine. Sometimes it's difficult for people and sometimes we've got to accept that our wedding isn't everyone's priority. 

I do agree that people will usually try if they have enough notice. It often boils down to a tough choice but, ultimately, people will make it if they really want to. Teachers and school age kids are the most difficult (we picked our date around the teachers/kids in our family) and term dates aren't the same across the board so some of the invited children are missing out.

We haven't judged or got upset when people have declined. It just means that they can't do what's necessary to attend (get holiday or, in extreme cases, pull a sickie which we wouldn't expect - I wouldn't either). It was our choice to book on a Tuesday and, as it happens, our closest friends and family are all coming so we consider ourselves lucky.

If Thursday works best for you, go for it! X

• Ours is a Thursday with 6mths notice, totally understand that some people can't make it, but we picked it cause of the date not the day but yes also saved money xx

• Hi,

I think weekday weddings are fine for most people! 

I personally wouldn’t be able to attend a Thursday wedding (or Friday, as it happens) because of my job, unless it was in the school holidays.

I think it would be a shame for some guests to have to miss out, but 3K is a lot of money so I get why you would question the date! I think you and your fiancé need to make the decision as to wether the money or the odd couple of guests not being able to attend is more important.

Out of curiosity, have you’ve already saved money booking a winter wedding? Personally, I would keep the Friday date and cut back else where, but it completely descends on what you and your fiancé want!

• Hi guys,

Thank you so much for replying. Still lots to think about, but your words have been very helpful! 

NottinghamshireBride, I’ve hopefully attached a photo of the different prices through the seasons, but yes, in general having a winter wedding is cheaper, by a long shot! We wanted to go on a snowboarding honeymoon, which is why we picked the month we have, but I wouldn’t dismiss winter weddings. 

I like to see it as with a winter wedding; it’s a nice surprise if it’s a sunny day and if not, it doesn’t matter (unless it’s outside). Whereas with a summer wedding, a lot of brides want/depend on a sunny day and are disappointed if it is anything other than that

Thank, once again guys for the advice 😊image

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

Looking at the snapshot you've included it looks the same as somewhere we looked (Derby?) and can see the benefit of a Thursday. There is a very similar venue (from pictures) which has opened in Wirksworth if so which you might want to consider.

When we started planning we talked about if we would have a weekday wedding (the conversation was started from the above pricing actually), but 98% on our guests work Mon-Fri and all but a handful would have to travel. I appreciate the sentiment of 'if people want to be there they will' but last year I went to 6 weddings, all of close friends. As much as I would want to be there, would I be able and willing to use 12 days annual leave- probably not...my partner and I work long hours and we need a holiday- it's what we love and why we work such long hours, and depending on what I'm doing at work, it's not necessarily an option to take the leave off I want.

• 2020 Feb wrote (see post):

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for replying. Still lots to think about, but your words have been very helpful! 

NottinghamshireBride, I’ve hopefully attached a photo of the different prices through the seasons, but yes, in general having a winter wedding is cheaper, by a long shot! We wanted to go on a snowboarding honeymoon, which is why we picked the month we have, but I wouldn’t dismiss winter weddings. 

I like to see it as with a winter wedding; it’s a nice surprise if it’s a sunny day and if not, it doesn’t matter (unless it’s outside). Whereas with a summer wedding, a lot of brides want/depend on a sunny day and are disappointed if it is anything other than that

Thank, once again guys for the advice 😊image

Have you considered a Sunday? Its cheaper than the Friday and would mean that guests that work during the week and their children could attend. Some guests might need to leave early if they can't book the Monday off, but this would only mean one day off work and not a couple. Just a though, which you've probably already considered. 

• Thank-you everyone, for all your advice. I have now changed our wedding to a Thursday!! 😊👰🏻