First thing you bought?

what were the first things you put money down on? 

Strangely the first purchase of our wedding was my sister who chose and bought her bridesmaids dress!

I've also bought my wedding dress and have it upstairs in the spare room and I'm buying my veil today.

We've not even chosen a venue!

• HelenNHelenN Posts: 127 New bride

Ours was venue first, then a musician (Saxophonist!) and then photographer. We get married in 3 months so there's a million other things we've bought/arranged since then but they were the first three ☺️

• MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,260 New bride

Dress, registrar then venue in that order....forgot to add that the venue held the date we wanted until we had contacted the registrar to make sure they could marry us on the date we wanted.

• Venue was booked first but no money spent until we'd booked and paid for the registrars.  Big risk doing anything before that imho, because if either one is unavailable on your chosen date you're not going to get very far!.

• VR race car for the reception 

• MrsMGMrsMG Posts: 359

My dress a few years before we even got married lol. My gran bought me a gorgeous purple dress from a charity shop years ago and I said that if me and my partner ever got married, which we did plan to, money was just tight and all that jazz, so I kept it away for a few years for the sole purpose of wearing it then.

The first thing we 'bought' when officially planning wad the reception venue and the town hall for the ceremony.

• Venue deposit will be the first thing paid, then likely photographer.. Pretty standard I know haha! Then it'll be bridesmaid/MOH proposal gifts if that counts? And I wanted to hold off dress shopping till at least the 1 year mark but I may not be able to help myself!!! x

Remember, when stressed, simply channel your inner Bridechilla: Take a sand bath, munch some veggies, then chew on a wooden stick... wait... no... that's a Chinchilla... 

My planning thread
  • GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,118 New bride

My first official purchase was 15 odd selfie sticks from Menkind that were reduced to 90p each, to be put on the tables! 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • After the venue it was the photographer and the florist, so that we definitely get the people we were after before they booked up! 

• My shoes. I love them!

• MrsMcSMrsMcS Posts: 235

Mine was before he even proposed - I obviously knew it was on the cards soon though!

There's a particular style of trainers I like and I spotted a white lace pair on eBay for about £5. I thought they'd be perfect when we got married for if my feet get sore dancing, and since they were such a bargain I just bought them on impulse.

The first purchase after we were engaged was the cake - my mum spotted a deal voucher for an amazing shop that was valid until the end of 2019, so we went for it even though we hadn't booked the venue yet. The venue was the next thing though!

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Venue first and then if I remember right, which I probably don’t, it was bridesmaid dresses.

• My shoes! Got them on a whim before even trying on dresses, but they’re so pretty and I love them! x

• To be fair - I did get my shoes months ago, I just didn't realise they'd turn out to be my wedding shoes! I've worn them a few times but I just love them so much, I've put them away now so they don't get ruined before the big day :)

• It was my dress and shoes a week after starting to plan xx

• MrsMcSMrsMcS Posts: 235
    Awhelenqt wrote (see post):

To be fair - I did get my shoes months ago, I just didn't realise they'd turn out to be my wedding shoes! I've worn them a few times but I just love them so much, I've put them away now so they don't get ruined before the big day :)

I'm the same with my "proper" shoes - I've had them for years but only worn them a couple of times, and now they're at my mum's house waiting to become wedding shoes :)

• First thing was actually 2 things but both done at the same time which was the venue and registrar. After that, the 2nd thing we paid a deposit on was our wedding cake. The cake is quite expensive and strangely quite an important part of the day (we're both big cake fans!) x

• definitely the dress first for me!

• MrsGxMrsGx Posts: 329 New bride

Probably the registrar. Not the most exciting thing, but I guess fairly essential to the day haha! 

Then it was deposits on things... venue, photographer, cake, flowers.

First actual purchase of an item was our centrepieces. And then the worlds supply of ribbon for our STD's!

• First thing I bought was a mirror and a picture frame as we are planning on using these to decorate our venue (which we hadn't even booked yet when we started buying them - oops)

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

After confirming the church date, we already had our venue through family so didn’t need to book that, the first thing we properly booked was a rodeo bull!

• After seeing our venue, we booked and paid a deposit to the registra! 

• Venue deposit, followed by food truck deposits.

• My dress my dress! Though my mum bought that so technically it would be the deposit for the venue, followed by bridesmaid dresses x

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

Tonnes of wedding magazines

• Jodielou wrote (see post):

Tonnes of wedding magazines

Haha if we're counting wedding magazines, the oldest one I have in my collection is from 2012... I got engaged 2 months ago! 😂😂😂

• Reception venue, church, photographer, florist, band. Not sure what to do next, it will probably be cake 😊

• First thing was pay deposit on venue and register office booked and catering booked (Old family friend who works for the venue we are having)

since then i've been getting little bits in favor bags, stuff for the kids table, cake topper, garter for hen night and wedding, tiara, hen night sashes for main hen party guests (Bridesmaids, MOH, Mother of bride and groom) I've been buying bits to do a memory ladder for loved ones no longer with us. 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,187 New bride

First thing we booked was venue and registrar. first thing I bought was clutch bags for me and my bridesmaids as they were reduced to something silly like 3 quid each in Accessorize.

• Laura882Laura882 Posts: 1

Two hair bands for my 2 little bridesmaids yesterday