Giving notice - will they ask about my birth dad or step dad?

We will be giving notice on the 7th and I've been reading up on what they ask and I've noticed a lot of the time they ask about each others parents. The thing is I've never met my dad and have only known my step dad, so will they ask my partner about my real dad or step dad?

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

They will ask about whichever is on your birth certificate I think 

• We had our notice appointment on Tuesday and they didn't ask either of us about our dads. 

• They asked his name and occupation, and if I was happy to have his name on marriage certificate. He has passed away, so dont know if that was why they checked or not

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I had a church wedding, but they asked about my dad, they needed his name and occupation, although I don’t have a relationship with him anymore.

He said it was mainly for the purposes of keeping track of things, who’s who etc. And in future if somebody wants to trace their family tree they wouldn’t get very far if our blood fathers weren’t listed.

Dont know if that’s the real reason or not but that’s what he told me.

• I was worried about this as I had read that this is asked to go on to the marriage certificate (I am not in contact with mine) but neither me or my partner were asked anything about parents when we went to give notice.

• MrsMGMrsMG Posts: 359

I was asked about my birth dad as his name is on my birth certificate. All they wanted to know was his name. I've had no contact with him so I know nothing other than his name. Sadly, I wasn't allowed to not include his name on my marriage license and also wasn't allowed to not include my old surname from when I was a child which was his name. This upset me a bit as he no dad of mine and I don't like to he associated with him but hey ho. No questions were asked about my stepdad, probably because he wasn't in my life until I was an adult and wasn't my legal guardian as a child.

• Yeah we needed our fathers’ names and occupations. I’d assume that birth or adopted father. Step parents aren’t directly linked to you legally even if they are emotionally. I don’t know if it’s different if they’re not on your birth certificate; I wonder if they’d ask mother’s detail?  

• ... just googled this for you- some people have said they’ve been able to add their step father instead provided he was officially married to their mother. May be worth asking when you have your meeting.

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,440

My fiance was allowed to have his step dad on the records instead of his biological dad.

• Both me and H2B were asked about our dad's when we gave notice last week. We were asked if we wanted our dad's on the marriage certificate, we said yes so they just asked their names and occupations. I did notice that on a leaflet it did specify that stepdads would be allowed if the birth dad wasn't around. x

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 678 New bride

We were not asked maybe because we aren’t getting married in our home town though 

• Jan17Jan17 Posts: 30

I’ve also never met my biological father, my step Dad is my Dad in my eyes. When we went to register they do ask about your fathers name and occupation but when I explained the situation and that I have nothing to do with my bio father I was allowed to use my Step Dads details Instead. Same on the wedding certificate too. So perhaps they will give you the same choice. 

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 913 New bride

I didn't put anything on mine and just left it blank. 

I was told I wouldn't be allowed my step dad. I think it varies from council to council what they allow 

• Kitty12Kitty12 Posts: 119 New bride

I was allowed to use my stepdad‘a name on my certificate, the registrar told me it was fine as long as he was legally married to my mother.

I was really relieved, I didn’t want any reference to my biological father on my marriage documentation. It’s worth asking them during the meeting.

• Hi. Please help!

Came across this thread while trying to get to bottom of ' 'step father' on wedding certificate. when you  used your step dads details under the Father Section did they put step  father under his name In the father box on wedding certificate, Iv had his name since a small child parents are married. I never had to give real dads details just had to state what name use to be and never had to show any change of name.