How can I find a Catholic church out of our parish

Please please please help me!

Cried everyday since researching my dream wedding and I have only been engaged 2 weeks! I'm hoping to marry next year just outside London in Essex and I 100% want to marry in a  Catholic church. Me and my partner are Catholics and we live a few roads from my pariah church I grew up in. My church is hideous and next door to a school and a Prezzo and is in the middle of a very busy urban high st. 

Has anyone marries in a CATHOLIC church out of their parish which they have no association to? I want a beautiful country church but in discussions with them they won't marry us unless we live in that area or have a real connection to the parish. My parish is at least an hour from nearest venue we want. 

My partners original parish is out in Essex and looks like a hall :( 

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,347 New bride

I don't mean to be rude, but churches often take a dim view of people who just want a 'pretty church' to get married in.

For most priests they want the couple to at least have a connection to the church (parents married there, regular attendees, used to live in parish, was baptised there etc) it just being prettier than your local one wont tend to cut it.

You have a couple of choices;

1) get married in your local church and concentrate on finding a 'pretty' reception venue

2) not have a religious ceremony and find a 'pretty' all in one venue

3) Perhaps consider a CoE church that might be nearer to the venue you like. You will need to be in the parish or have a connection though just like with the catholic church.

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Pretty much what has already been said. I think you will struggle to find a Catholic church willing to marry without any connections, they font like people picking a church just because it's pretty. Mrstwizbe has given you the most likely options.

Good luck!

• Barbie3Barbie3 Posts: 340 New bride

the point of marrying in Church is to stand in front of your own parish and family, friends n community, not for the photo opportunities.

If u have already been told no by the church, i think u need to either accept it and find an alternate venue, or live with the fact that ur own church isn't the prettiest on the outside and find photo ops at ur reception venue instead

• Ditto what has already been said, really.

But I would add that an option when I was applying to our church was to "create" a link with the church by attending services every Sunday for 6 months. We didn't have to do this as we had another connection, but I do know of a couple who did this. Worth asking the vicar if your heart is set on this church?

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,357 New bride

Generally, most Catholic churches are pretty modern and ugly tbh, all the old pretty churches are C of E.