need advice

Hi everyone,

Im wondering if im being ridiculous. I am 51, I was with my ex husband for 32 years and have been apart for 2.5 years, I have met a lovely man who has been married twice before 1st a big church affair then a register office. I don't want to do what either of us have already done and I want our wedding to be very special. I want to go abroad far far away and get married on our own with absolutely no guests. we only want to go for a week and do not want any frills. We are on a very very tight budget. How much will it cost?

Am I being silly at my age to do what younger couples do and should just pop to local registry office.

Lesa

• wifey2bwifey2b Posts: 18 New bride

no, of course that's not silly! my mum went off and got married in Maui later in life and had the best time.

do what feels right for you. the cost will be dependent on location, number of guests, what decoration you want etc. x

• Definitely not being silly! I think the fact you've both been married before makes going away more sensible as you've done the big weddings infront of friends and family, now you can just do what's right for you. 

I can't help with costs I'm afraid but I hope you find something affordable and can have a lovely wedding abroad! 

• lesalesa Posts: 2

Thank you ladies.

I don't want any frills, no guests and no ornaments basically like getting married on honeymoon x

• KittyFiennesKittyFiennes Posts: 975 New bride

It should be totally do-able on just about any budget. Just plan well in advance to get the best price on flights and accommodation. Unlike when some of us got married years ago, now there's this amazing thing called the internet to help us plan!  You can research pricing on ceremony sites, accommodations, flights, etc., to get an idea of pricing in different countries, all without the help of a travel agent and without leaving home.

BTW, you aren't silly to want (or not want) whatever frills you want for your day.  I've seen plenty of brides on this forum that aren't lambs anymore have the "big white wedding" of their dreams, replete with the big dress and guest list to match. You've waited this long for happiness, you're entitled to celebrate it any which way you see fit. Add whatever frills make you happy!

• MrsMannionMrsMannion Posts: 1,102 New bride

Hiya I got married in Rhodes 2 years ago and it cost me around £700 for a wedding planner they sort out all the legal stuff a d book everything that was needed a d cost of venue that included 2 witnesses if needed things like hair and stuff do cost extra

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,760 New bride

My friend holidays at the Coyaba Beach Hotel in Grenada every year. They book through Virgin. Last year her and her partner married there, just the two of them. They contacted tbe hotel direct who arrranged the wedding for them with no fuss at all.