What way is the groom facing?

What way are you having the groom face while you walk down the aisle and why? :) 

• Barbie3Barbie3 Posts: 340

What on earth r u talking about......?

while u walk down the aisle?   (that bit is up to him)

when u get to the alter/registrars desk?  (facin me)

on the wedding night?  (none of ur business, lol)

ETA - when I wrote my post the OP hadn't included the "when u walk down the aisle" bit.... 

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride
    Barbie3 wrote (see post):

Traditionally the English way is for the Groom to face away towards the front and does not look at the Bride until she stands next to him (like Princr William did with Catherine) but as with many wedding thigs the American way is starting to happen a lot more where the Groom watches the Bride walk towards him (Harry did this with Meghan).

It is not something that bothers me so I will let H2B choose, I imagine he will look at me though :)

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 782 New bride
    Sadieee wrote (see post):

Traditionally the English way is for the Groom to face away towards the front and does not look at the Bride until she stands next to him (like Princr William did with Catherine) but as with many wedding thigs the American way is starting to happen a lot more where the Groom watches the Bride walk towards him (Harry did this with Meghan).

It is not something that bothers me so I will let H2B choose, I imagine he will look at me though :)

I've never heard of this before! I'd feel insulted if he didn't watch me haha 

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,009 New bride

I’ve just asked H2B, we went to a wedding over the weekend and the groom faced the front the whole time. Apparently H2B wants to watch me come down the aisle which is sweet. Emotions on the day might change that! 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride
    Awhelenqt wrote (see post):
    Sadieee wrote (see post):

I've never heard of this before! I'd feel insulted if he didn't watch me haha 

I have only ever been to weddings where the couple have stuck to this tradition lol I think it harks back to days of arranged marriages, gives the groom less time to do a runner if he doesn't like her ;) (which is the tradition behind the veil as well I think I read)

• Laura GraceLaura Grace Posts: 318 New bride

As a photographer, I much prefer it when the groom faces the front as you can capture both of their emotions/reactions at the same time rather than the back of the groom's head!

• MrsGB2015MrsGB2015 Posts: 3,083 New bride

Our registrar told hubs not to look!!

I wasnt very impressed with this haha - I wanted the reassurance of him looking at me - i kept saying to my dad on the way down "hes not looking at me" "whys he not looking at me"

He eventually did take a sneaky look as i got closer, which eased my nerves slightly, i told him i wished he did it sooner and thats when he said they told him not to haha!!

We didnt really talk about it before to be fair, if you feel strongly about it then i advise discussing it so you are not left like me wondering why he wont look lol!! xx

• I would say natural is the best approach....what will be will be during the moment.  Sometimes when a moment is told to be a certain way it can look a little awkward, I think you second guess yourself a little when things are planned.  But only you will know what is right for you both.

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 682 New bride

I think h2b had planned to face the front but as our 4 year old is coming in first I think he'll have no choice but to look.  I have visions of her screaming daddy and legging it down the aisle at him!

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I don’t like when the groom faces the front, I don’t know why it just looks awkward and weird to me, especially as grooms who do this usually have faces like a slapped arse because of nerves, whereas if they turn they’re usually smiling or crying.

Mine watched us all walk down the aisle, although I didn’t notice him until I was halfway down 🙊 we have some lovely photos of him and the best men watching us walk down, they all look really proud, there’s one where the brother is looking sideways at DH to check if he’s crying, and one of DH beaming with tears in his eyes.

• We never discussed this before the wedding, when ur came to it the wedding planner asked him what he wanted to do and he said il wait till she is next to me, he didn't know about tradition he's the last to follow but ur was his choice 

• MrsR17MrsR17 Posts: 76 New bride

Mine faced the front because he was too nervous to look, he did however see me walk down in the mirror he was facing which was nice 

• Barbie3 wrote (see post):

Really it is the most epic reply I have heard till now.