Can't get in for my notice of marriage!!!

Okay so I booked my wedding at the beginning of July. Its booked for the 30th August. I called the district where I'm from to give notice of marriage... But they can't get us in until the 30th August?! Which is no good as that's the day we've booked to get married. He basically told me tough and I would have to cancel my wedding, loose everything we have paid for, book a date for October and pay it all again... I'm so upset and angry!

What can I do?? We're getting married in a different area to where we are giving notice also. There's more than enough time to give notice but according to him there extremely busy and can't get us in. I really don't want to cancel our day and loose it all :(

• MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,385 New bride

You give notice in the borough or district where you are currently living. I am assuming you contacted the right one?

Could you look online and see what appointments are available to give notice?

Its wrong for them to suggest you change your date and cancel everything!

• Rachel454Rachel454 Posts: 3

Yeah I've contacted the correct one. We can't view appointments online for mine, you have to contact them and they tell you what's available :(

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,486 New bride

Unfortunately that is quite late to try to book an appointment for a wedding in August, as it is their busiest time.  Maybe call again, and ask whether you can call, or turn up in person for cancellations.  

• Amanda198Amanda198 Posts: 152

Have you got the registrar booked for the ceremony?,  when we booked ours with 20 months notice we only had 2 options for our July wedding end of this month.  Ours is the same, and we too had to ring in advance and book an appointment, we couldn’t see anything online.xx 

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,116 New bride

If you've got a registrar booked and you can't get in to give notice you may have to cancel.

One alternative could be to see if you can get a celebrant for the day? The wedding would not be legally binding and you'd still have to go and do the legal bit at the registry office but that way you wouldn't have to cancel everything.

Maybe worth giving someone a call to discuss? When I was quoted for a celebrant it was about £400 for a saturday and I'm in the west country. 

• Ozzy2bOzzy2b Posts: 143

It does depend where you are from as to how busy the Registry Office is - we gave notice last week and that was the first week appointments were available when I called in March - so over a 3 month wait for an appointment in Birmingham, which tbf is the busiest. We were told to confirm Registrar availability and book the notice appointment before confirming the wedding date for that very reason. However you only need this for a legal wedding - and you could have a non legal wedding and do the formalities later without anyone being any the wiser. 

• MrsTraceyMrsTracey Posts: 837 New bride

I think it's fair enough considering it's probably their busiest time. There will be couples who will have booked months in advance, and if they have no space at such short notice there might not be much yo can do. When we did all our planning we knew the legal bit was important to us, so we made sure a registrar was available and we'd have time to give notice before we booked anything else. 

I think your best bet may be to do as others say and find a celebrant for the ceremony, and do the legal bit afterwards If you don't want to cancel the whole thing. 

• MiyaMiya Posts: 3
    FutureMrsTracey wrote (see post):

I think it's fair enough considering it's probably their busiest time. There will be couples who will have booked months in advance, and if they have no space at such short notice there might not be much yo can do. When we did all our planning we knew the legal bit was important to us, so we made sure a registrar was available and we'd have time to give notice before we booked anything else. 

I think your best bet may be to do as others say and find a celebrant for the ceremony, and do the legal bit afterwards If you don't want to cancel the whole thing. 

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

Like others suggest, I would look for a celebrant. For your 30th August date, you would need to give notice by 30th July so it is tight- I think we waited 7 weeks to give notice and it was in january so a less popular time.

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

You need to be ringing every day to ask if there's been any cancellations.

Your only option may be to have a blessing and do the legal bit afterwards.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,915 New bride

I'd ring again a couple of times and hope you get someone more sympathetic on the phone who may try to squeeze you in.

• Rachel454Rachel454 Posts: 3

Thanks everyone. Managed to speak to another lady who has got us an appointment for Monday! Not sure if it was a cancellation or if she's just squeezed us in. But it's all go now! Thanks for a your help/advice xx

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

Phew! Glad you got it sorted.