Booking church wedding when divorced

Hi All

I just wondered if anyone knows if you are able to book a church wedding in if your divorced isn't finalised yet?

My fiance is still waiting for his to be finalised but he wants to go ahead with trying to book the reception and ceremony in but I'm not even sure if the church will let us book without official confirmation that the divorce is done.

Will be contacting our church to find out officially but didn't want to sound stupid if it's a definite no no.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

x

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,349 New bride

getting married in a church as a divorcee is completely up to the vicar, regardless of whether it is finalised or not.

You will most likely have to go into detail around why the marriage failed and also why you are marrying so soon after the divorce.

Some vicars are more open to this than others.

I think it is unlikely they will let you book anything though until it is all finalised, but you can approach the vicar to ask if it is even a possibility to marry in their church.

• Barbie3Barbie3 Posts: 340 New bride

IF the church allows divorcees to wed there n u have written proof of when the divorce will be final, then there won't be an issue.  It is down to the individual vicar tho.

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

I had a lovely vicar who allowed us to have a church wedding despite me being divorced but like others have said it depends on the individual church. They will ask why the marriage failed so be prepared, and if there's any adultery involved from your h2b which led to the marriage ending then they are likely to say no.